Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #1

Pentax K10, lense search

Being new, if I'm in the wrong forum, I appologize, I want, key word want, a 50-500 f4 auto focus lense for my Pentax DSLR. I'd settle for an F5. ritz says they are not available. Yet I find them on the internet. Can someone help me with some hands on information regarding the above? Input is greatly appreciated.

06-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Forum Member

hi,

maybe this is what you are looking for:

Sigma | 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG AF Lens for Pentax AF | 736109

pretty expensive, tough.

greetz
shadeless
06-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only lens that covers that focal length at even near that f-numer is the Bigma.

Shadeless posted a link to it.
06-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yup, it's the Bigma you want, something I'll be drooling for many years to come.

06-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think together we would drool another ocean
it's on my wish list, but don't think I will be ever able to justify it, but who knows....
never say never...
06-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Shade, stardust, paddick and axel, thank you, thats what I have seen on the net, yet when I went to Ritz Camera the so called expert assured me that they were only for 35 mm Pentax and has issues with Digital, Thank you for you r infok, and yes, I'm still drooling but I'll get the people down there to order the silly thing for me and pay it off in six months, or so, its the only way i can afford it by working with them, at a certain price its interest free for 6 jmo's on selected items. If anyones used it, I sure would appreciate comments on its idiosycracies
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #7

I have a DS and K10d, they work fine with 50 to 500 bigma which I have had since June 05.
I would suggest that you go and buy it from a camera store that knows what is talking about. When I have travelled to US on business I look at Ritz to compare prices and buy elsewhere mainly due to the standard of the staff and then the price.

I'm now waiting for the new 70 to 200, which I now understand will be out in August.

06-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steven smith Quote
Shade, stardust, paddick and axel, thank you, thats what I have seen on the net, yet when I went to Ritz Camera the so called expert assured me that they were only for 35 mm Pentax and has issues with Digital, Thank you for you r infok, and yes, I'm still drooling but I'll get the people down there to order the silly thing for me and pay it off in six months, or so, its the only way i can afford it by working with them, at a certain price its interest free for 6 jmo's on selected items. If anyones used it, I sure would appreciate comments on its idiosycracies
Your salesman is full of something, but it is not knowledge.

ANY Pentax digital camera will mount ANY Pentax or Pentax mount lens - with adapters, even 1957 screw mount lenses, 645 lenses and 6x7 lenses - and focus to infinity and offer at least manual focus and manual exposure.

I personally use two 30 year old lenses on my K10D with only slight problems - manual focus and manual exposure (except at maximum aperture when I can use aperture priority auto exposure) because they do not have an A setting on the aperture ring.

If the lens is Pentax K mount and has the A setting on the aperture ring, all exposure modes and metering modes are usable with the ring set to A. The Bigma does have the aperture A setting, and in addition has the auto focus drive you need to autofocus with the lens.

There are many, many members of this forum who use the Bigma with great pleasure.
06-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Steven, work with Ritz to get your Bigma if that's the way that works for you. The Ritz/Wolf/Kits camera chain doesn't impress a lot of Pentax photographers on service, sales, or price, but it's the only alternative available sometimes for some of us.

As for Forums members' experiences with the Bigma, just do a search on "Bigma" and "Sigma 50-500" keywords and you'll get the threads that discuss the lens and offer some photo examples of what it can do. There's also a couple reviews in the 3rd party lens database: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM (AF Lens)

Oh, yeah–welcome to the Forums!

Last edited by christinelandon; 06-02-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added link