Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Seems like a stellar find! Is this your first dedicated 1:1 macro?

I've tried the dfa50mm a few times and I've seen claims your FA version is sharper. Honestly, I think any of these dedicated macros are sharp enough that if your results don't satisfy you in the sharpness department it's either user error or your expectations are obscenely high.

Enjoy your new lens

Yes, Brian..... this is my first "dedicated" macro lens. I have three or four 1:2 macros that perform very well, especially a Sigma 28-80mm lens that has proven itself many times over. But, after using the new 50mm-FA 2.8.... I've got to say, it's not even in the same class! The sharpness of this new lens has completely appeased my sharpness obsession! It is, without a doubt, the sharpest lens I've ever used. I think that it's sharper than my K-50 can resolve.... so, I'm in the market for a new K-3!

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 09:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I have this lens and the Tamron 90mm Macro. The Pentax is sharper then the Tamron and that lens is sharp too. You got one good deal there, I paid a bit more than that for mine. I have not used my DA 50 1.8 much since the macro is so sharp. Lately I have considered selling a few of my lens that I have in multiple focal lengths. The FA 50mm Macro is not anywhere on that list. Enjoy your new lens and remember it is much more than just a macro.

Scorpio, virtually overnight, I have relegated all my other 50mm lenses to the back of the shelf! And yes, I quickly discovered that this magnificent tool is much more than just a macro lens! Check my recent posts https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/289749-machinery-1937...-chieftan.html
on the "Post your Photos" section. All were shot with the new lens. I see no use for me to keep any of my other numerous 50s. I have a superb Pentax M-f:1.4, a M-f: 1.7, a DA f:1.8, a M-f:2.0, a Ricoh-P f:1.7, and a Sears f:1.7 & f:2.0..... and NONE of them can hold a candle for me to work with the FA-50 f:2.8! So, I foresee several 50mm lenses going on the auction block very soon! I see no use to even consider using any of the others when I have this absolute, dead-nuts sharp wonder. I was absolutely delighted to find it, and especially at the price I paid.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-01-2015 at 09:27 PM.
03-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
So, I foresee several 50mm lenses going on the auction block very soon! I see no use to even consider using any of the others when I have this absolute, dead-nuts sharp wonder. I was absolutely delighted to find it, and especially at the price I paid.
You might consider holding onto at least one fast 50. The added aperture/DoF can sometimes still be useful. I carry both my FA 50 2.8 and my A 50 1.7 at times. They're the same focal length but different tools. Either way, have fun!
03-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
You might consider holding onto at least one fast 50. The added aperture/DoF can sometimes still be useful. I carry both my FA 50 2.8 and my A 50 1.7 at times. They're the same focal length but different tools. Either way, have fun!
I agree here, I have kept my DA 50 1.8 for that reason. I also keep it because it is still a sharp lens and there are certain situations when I would rather not use my FA version. But everyone has their prefences on what to use. Either way you have a fantastic lens for anew excellent price and photos to prove it. Great job looking forward to seeing more photos.
03-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have had the FA 50mm 2.8 Macro for years. Its one of my favorite lens and at the price the OP paid...wow.Nice deal. That lens looks physically great...if it shoots like it looks. Its a win.

Tell you what, if you ever decide to sell it, let me know.. I'd snatch that in heart beat at that price

I keep looking for a good deal on its big brother...the 100 mm macro

al