Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Your opinion of the Pentax -FA 50mm, f: 2.8 macro lens

I have the option of buying a Pentax-FA 50mm, f:2.8 macro lens. From the reviews I've read here on PF, it would appear as if it's THE lens for macro photography, actually being called "The sharpest lens Pentax ever made!" That's quite a strong statement, but it certainly got my attention. Do any of you own this lens.... and would you actually go so far as to make THAT claim?

Thanks for any replies.

02-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
During the in-depth review of the DA50/1.8, they did quite a bit of comparison with the 50 macro as well: Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

from the conclusion:
The D FA 50mm is a well-constructed lens that produces good images wide open and excellent images stopped down. The lens handles well and has no distortion, chromatic aberration or vignetting. The bokeh is good and it can be used as a street lens or for portraits. The lens has an aperture ring and can thus be used with extension tubes for achieving magnification in excess of 1:1.
Pros

• Sharp
  • No noticeable distortion, vignetting or chromatic aberration
  • Well-built
  • Quick-shift focus
  • Aperture ring
  • Depth of field scale
  • Can be used as a Macro
  • Case & hood included
Cons

• Some flare
  • Slowest autofocus
  • Expensive at $439
02-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it a good deal? Do you already own a macro (1:1)?
I own this lens and in my case it's a great focal length. Not to mention it's sharp, very sharp. Not that I have tried every Pentax lens ever made so I can't make the claim it's the sharpest but if you find it for a good deal and are looking for a great macro lens I would buy it in a heartbeat.
It's great for macro, walk around, street portrait and it's ready for FF if you plan to upgrade later

Edit: Nowadays I never use my DA 50mm F1.8 since I got the FA 50mm F2.8... hmmm maybe I should sell my DA...
02-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
During the in-depth review of the DA50/1.8, they did quite a bit of comparison with the 50 macro as well: Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

from the conclusion:
The D FA 50mm is a well-constructed lens that produces good images wide open and excellent images stopped down. The lens handles well and has no distortion, chromatic aberration or vignetting. The bokeh is good and it can be used as a street lens or for portraits. The lens has an aperture ring and can thus be used with extension tubes for achieving magnification in excess of 1:1.
Pros

• Sharp
  • No noticeable distortion, vignetting or chromatic aberration
  • Well-built
  • Quick-shift focus
  • Aperture ring
  • Depth of field scale
  • Can be used as a Macro
  • Case & hood included
Cons

• Some flare
  • Slowest autofocus
  • Expensive at $439
The lens I was referring to is the Pentax-FA 50mm, f:2.8..... not the D FA 50mm, f:2.8 lens. The one I just bought is the older lens. I debated about buying it, but at $125.00, shipping included, I sprang on it! It is in EX condition... pristine in every respect. I was browsing Craig's List in the San Diego area and I came across it. I contacted the woman who owned it, we discussed the price and after she offered to reduce the price by $25.00, I couldn't resist the temptation! So.... NOW, I can get up close and personal with butterflies, bugs, spiders and flower stamens!

I also have the DA 50mm, f:1.8 lens. I won it in a drawing here on PF and it is, without a doubt, one of the finest lenses I own! Superbly sharp, astounding color rendition and contrast! About as perfect a lens as Pentax ever made, IMHO.

---------- Post added 02-23-15 at 10:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Is it a good deal? Do you already own a macro (1:1)?
I own this lens and in my case it's a great focal length. Not to mention it's sharp, very sharp. Not that I have tried every Pentax lens ever made so I can't make the claim it's the sharpest but if you find it for a good deal and are looking for a great macro lens I would buy it in a heartbeat.
It's great for macro, walk around, street portrait and it's ready for FF if you plan to upgrade later

Edit: Nowadays I never use my DA 50mm F1.8 since I got the FA 50mm F2.8... hmmm maybe I should sell my DA...

Is $125.00 a good deal? No, I do NOT own a 1:1 macro.... only a couple of 1:2s and several 1:3.4 - 1:4s. Take a look at my earlier post, with the photos. I'm jazzed about it. I've never had a lens that was 1:1 and have always had to resort to reversing rings or extension tubes to accomplish that kind of magnification.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-09-2015 at 11:30 AM.
02-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While many people prefer a longer macro such as the 100, the 50 is a very good lens for general macro use. I have always considered that 1:1 is best with a longer lens with the greater lens to subject distance. I own a regular 50 and a 50 macro for their particular uses. You are good to have both.
You got a very nice deal.
02-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's an excellent lens - I had the F version.

If you haven't already checked, make sure it doesn't have any fungus (although it will probably still take great photos even if it does). If you don't know how to check for it with a flashlight, look it up. Keep in mind that when you do this you'll see all kinds of minor problems (such as dust) that don't cause any problems with your photos, so don't panic when you see them.
02-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Your opinion of the Pentax -FA 50mm, f: 2.8 macro lens Read more at: http://www.

My opinion is that it's an excellent lens. I had it for some months and sold it somewhat reluctantly only because I prefer the working distance offered by the FA 100mm macro.

02-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Does it have the same optical design of the D FA version ? On the database it says 8 elements in 7 groups for both

If it is as good as the D FA 50mm i can recommend it very highly. It is also a very good price, i paid almost twice that amount for my D FA.
02-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lens arrived today and I was very pleased with it's condition. It looks virtually brand new. I took a few test shots and it certainly is sharp!

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:39 PM.
02-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If the copy you received performs well optically, you've got yourself a very nice deal on a very nice lens my friend...
02-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Absolutely love mine. It's probably the one lens in my bag that I'd never sell... it's that sharp. You got a great deal.
02-27-2015, 04:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thats a great buy Dewman , so when the snow melts , we will be seeing some serious macro work ( I hope ) ..
50mm Tends to be sharper than 100mm for some reason , all my 50mm lenses are sharper than the 90mm or 100mm Macro lenses ..

Lens is an older Sigma 50mm AF Macro lens ( Sorry , yes its attached to a Nikon ) ...
This is my only 50mm Macro set up ATM ...
Image downsized to 1280 and 80% quality

Last edited by old4570; 02-27-2015 at 05:42 AM.
02-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Congrats on your find. It is a very 'sharp' lens and I have the same feeling as old4570, it is 'sharper' then the 100's I've tried. Perhaps even the sharpest Pentax of all. Great built too (I have the F, should be similar). The only downside is the less then great manual focus experience. The reason why I prefer the A100/2.8 macro over the F100/2.8 I also had at some point. I liked the A50/2.8 macro also a lot, but it is 'only' 1:2.
02-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like a stellar find! Is this your first dedicated 1:1 macro?

I've tried the dfa50mm a few times and I've seen claims your FA version is sharper. Honestly, I think any of these dedicated macros are sharp enough that if your results don't satisfy you in the sharpness department it's either user error or your expectations are obscenely high.

Enjoy your new lens
03-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this lens and the Tamron 90mm Macro. The Pentax is sharper then the Tamron and that lens is sharp too. You got one good deal there, I paid a bit more than that for mine. I have not used my DA 50 1.8 much since the macro is so sharp. Lately I have considered selling a few of my lens that I have in multiple focal lengths. The FA 50mm Macro is not anywhere on that list. Enjoy your new lens and remember it is much more than just a macro.