Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tips on using flash?

I've noticed that whenever I use the built in flash, my subject ends up looking very pale and unnatural. I assume this is because I'm either too close or my white balance is off. I never had this problem with my point and shoot but I'm trying to get better at photography and it seems my DSLR is very different when it comes to flash. Should I diffuse the light somehow? I'm just a beginner so I would appreciate any tips!

02-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I've noticed that whenever I use the built in flash, my subject ends up looking very pale and unnatural. I assume this is because I'm either too close or my white balance is off. I never had this problem with my point and shoot but I'm trying to get better at photography and it seems my DSLR is very different when it comes to flash. Should I diffuse the light somehow? I'm just a beginner so I would appreciate any tips!
First tip - set flash exposure compensation (not regular exposure compensation) to -1.3 or -1.5 or even -1.7. This will take the overexposed washouts down a notch.

On my K-50 I do this by using the 4 way controller, going to the flash mode by pressing left, then pressing down on the 4 way which highlights the flash exposure compensation, then I press left and right on the 4 way to get the value for compensation needed and finally I press OK to save that setting. If that fails then I end up in Manual mode tinkering. Sometimes I also use regular exposure compensation combined with flash compensation also.
02-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

For DSLRs I strongly recommend to get an external flash.

However, if you do not want to do that, for whatever reasons, here are some nice tips on how to use the built-in flash on your camera:

Part 1

Part 2

But in time... do invest in a external flash and some flash triggers with a tilting, swiveling head.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-24-2015 at 10:02 AM.
02-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What would you recommend for actual flashes/controllers to get? I don't know nothing about anything.

02-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have tried some diffusing of popup flash and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. nice to experiment.

but

just basic youngnuo 460/similar or better flash with swiveling and tilting head gets you going. It is easy and fun to learn bouncing flash from walls and so. and trigger added to free moving of flash makes it even more practical.
02-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The perfect flash that I would recommend for you, as a beginner to external flashes, will be the following, but this is not available yet for purchase. You can pre-order it, but I am not sure when it will be available.
Pentax AF201FG Flash RHAFA007 B&H Photo Video
Cheap, small and it tilts... and its Pentax... and WR ... and will work very well with your Pentax gear.

Another one that I would recommend is from Yongnuo (all manual so you will have to experiment with it - not hard, just takes a little to get use to it), will be at least the YN460II (there are newer versions but these are very good and cheaper and personally I never had issues with them - I have like 3 of them).

As triggers, for the beginning and personal projects, best bet will be the Cowboystudios trigger and receiver kit.

Both Yongnuo and Cowboystudio brands can be found on-line on Amazon or ebay if you want.
02-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

With the more expensive Pentax flashes, what does that buy you?

02-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
With the more expensive Pentax flashes, what does that buy you?
Quality, a brand name and a flash that works in P-TTL mode with your camera, auto-zoom and so on. You can read the descriptions to get an idea on what they do.
If you can afford to cash out the $200 - $400, I would strongly recommend them over the Yongnuo ones!

Personally I like this one:
Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash 30456 B&H Photo Video

This one will be quite good as well - I have one of them:
Pentax AF360FGZ Flash 30333 B&H Photo Video
02-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What's P-TTL mode?
02-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's P-TTL mode?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/99153-difference...ml#post1019119

---------- Post added 02-24-15 at 05:35 PM ----------

It is likely some of my problems with P-TTL flash come from trying it with A* or M lenses where the metering inaccuracy of these lenses comes into play.
02-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What Flash?

What would you recommend for actual flashes/controllers to get? I don't know nothing about anything.
I personally had this issue not even a month ago. I finally made the decision of buying a Metz flash. I found this website to be very helpful and really made my decision easy. The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison. I’ll explain my decision below.

In short, Pentax branded flashes were a bit too expensive while other brands were lacking in either build quality or features. The best of the third party flashes is the Sigma and the Metz flashes (IMHO). I finally purchased the Metz 44 for a few reasons, but these reasons may not resonate for you.

1. I already own a Youngo 560 III (great manual flash). What manual features the Metz is missing I have in the Youngo.
2. The swivel head on the Metz doesn't have the locking feature. I personally like this because I am always adjusting the flash and need the additional.
3. PTTL is working with the current firmware and can be upgraded should there be incompatibility later on.

I hope this helps you in your quest for flash photography!

---------- Post added 02-24-15 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Perhaps the real question you are asking is how to get my on camera flash to look good and not buy additional flash equipment. While the flash on the camera can work in a pintch, it generally doesn't produce pleasing light and I do think an external flash will serve you well. Additionally you could consider buying a fast lense F2.8 or lower to let more light in and skip flash all together (only works in some situations).

In my opinion, your flash is probably too bright and you need to turn down the compensation. Also, it may be worth it to verify your camera settings (manual, tv, Av?) While flash compensation should get you where you want to go, understanding exposure will certainly help a lot.

To adjust your flash compensation hit the lighting bolt button on your camera (the flash button) and you will see a figure 0.0. Use the wheel to adjust the compensation up or down and take a shot. I bet down is your best bet.

Good Luck!
02-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm cheap, I found a deal on a used Vivitar 285HV. Actually got it free, bought a 28-80 Sigma, $20, they lost the lens and shipped me the flash, I got to keep the flash...Tilt, variable power, zoom thingie for normal or telephoto, good out to at least 50 feet. Works great, I love it, not hard to use.

For a usable diffuser for the built in flash, fold a cash register receipt into a small envelope and slip it over the flash unit. Make sure you have the printed side out, it's heat sensitive, about a half dozen flashes will turn it black. Makes a usable cheap diffuser.

This is one I got a couple of days ago with the Vivitar, f16, ISO100, Makinon 135mm manual with 55mm extension tubes, flash on 1/4 power. White balance set to factory flash setting, I've never changed it. No diffuser.

I get consistent results very close to that using it for macro, I've also used it at long distances, 50 feet or maybe a bit more, for birds a few times with good results. I just looked at a dozen on ebay starting at 10 bucks...Retails on Amazon for $99, saw it somewhere else $139. Gets some good reviews.
02-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Buying a separate bounce flash is the way to go. And you don't have to spend a lot. I have several old Sunpak 433D flash units I bought for $6 to $30 each. Learn how to use them properly and it won't look like you used a flash.

All of these were done with cheap Sunpaks, $6 umbrella diffusers and cheap PT-04 radio triggers.There's a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you'll like using flash.

Just be careful if you buy an older flash. Some of them have a high trigger voltage that can fry your camera. Here's a trigger voltage chart. You'll want to keep it under 24 volts for Pentax. I play it safe and go with 12 volts and under.

Good luck & have fun!
Bob :-)
02-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Buying a separate bounce flash is the way to go. And you don't have to spend a lot. I have several old Sunpak 433D flash units I bought for $6 to $30 each. Learn how to use them properly and it won't look like you used a flash.
Do all of the 433Ds work with Pentax, or do I have to get a Pentax compatible version of them?
02-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you ask me, I would say spending the money for the right external flash is a very good investment if you are serious about photography. I only use the in-camera flash as the last resort. The addition of flash light provides immense flexibility for creative photography with mix of ambient light and flash light.

Last edited by aleonx3; 02-28-2015 at 03:15 PM.