Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Profiles for Quadtone RIP?

I use the Quadtone RIP to print B&W with my Epson 2200. This creates really good B&W prints by taking over control from the Epson driver. The RIP contains profiles for a limited number of papers. I'd like to get some additional profiles but don't have the expertise to create them myself. Does anyone know where one can go to get more profiles, or better yet, would anyone be willing to share anything that they have created?

Thanks.

02-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not a direct answer to your question, but here is my experience with quadtone B&W printing: no matter how carefully I matched profiles to the type of paper I have always had problems with metamerism and differential fading.

I did my own non-accelerated print permanence test from 3 printers on 6 types of paper for the duration of over 7 months, with samples taped to the window glass allowing free airflow and exposed to direct sunlight for 2-3 hours every day (fairly harsh conditions). Tested both grayscale and quadtone B&W prints.

The result: I selected HP Vivera 100 Photo gray ink because grayscale test print remained absolutely identical to the series of reference prints I made the same day and sealed in an acid free box and kept away from light and heat for the same period of time. Best results were with ILFORD Classic Pearl and HP Premium Plus Photo Paper.

I believe all major manufacturers today do have some sort of grayscale ink sets, so perhaps if you print mostly B&W (as I do) consider getting one of those instead of trying to profile your printer/paper combination for quadtone B&W work.

That is my experience, I hope it makes sense in general.