Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #1

PC Photo Magazine Contest

I didn't see any post about this so here it is. It'll be great to have some1 here win one of the prizes. Its supported by Canon and Microsoft but they didn't limit to the brand of camera use so I guess Pentax is qualify (although I don't know if there'll be any bias on the judges part). I haven't sign up yet so I don't know if they'll even ask you what camera/lens you use. The link to sign up is:

Canon and Microsoft Present the PCPhoto Top 100 Iconic Locations | PCPhoto Magazine

General guidelines below and good luck to those who enter or plan to enter:

The Grand Prize and the First Place winners will be chosen by the editors of PCPhoto. Anyone can vote for the People’s Choice Awards (one vote per person!) during the voting period from August 29 through September 4, 2008.
Submission guidelines:

* Entry deadline is August 15, 2008. Online entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST).
* You can submit up to three photos. Photographs should be in keeping with the general theme of the Top 100 Iconic Photo Locations of the World, including, but not limited to, photos of historical locations, landscape and travel.

Technical requirements:

* The maximum file size is 125K each; image size up to 640 x 480 pixels; and resolution of 72 dpi.

The prizes:

Grand Prize Package - Valued at more than $10,000!

* Canon 5-D$1,000 cash
* Publication of the winning photo in the November 2008 issue of PCPhoto
* Canon 5D D-SLR Camera with a Canon EF 24-105mm ƒ/4L IS USM Lens
* Microsoft Photo Workflow software package, which includes Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2007 Professional and Expression Media
* 7-night hotel stay with Small Luxury Hotels of the World
* B+W Filter
* Spyder3Studio from Datacolor
* Gitzo GT2540 Carbon 6X + G-Lock tripod, along with the Gitzo G1278M Magnesium Center Ball Head, all from Bogen Imaging
* Aero 80 bag from Tamrac
* 16x20 print of winning photo from Burrell Colour Imaging, printed on the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF9100

First Place Prize

* Microsoft Photo WorkflowB+W Filter
* Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber tripod and 322RC2 head, all from Bogen Imaging
* 16x20 print of winning photo from Burrell Colour Imaging, printed on the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF9100

People’s Choice Awards

06-02-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my experience it'd be a cold day in hell before anything but a cannon image wins a contest like this. It doesn't hurt to enter, just don't get your hopes up. There was a big photo competition in my local newspaper. All entrants were treated to a nice lunch when the winning images were presented. Lots of good shots but the one that won for the macro competition was a boring flower shot, not even a good flower shot but it was taken with a cannon.
06-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #3

Strip the EXIF out and say nothing about your camera until you win.
06-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would be very careful about submitting shots to any competition. It seems the current trend these days is to strip the photographer of all rights to any image submitted. Even if you don't win, the company holding the competition will be able to use your image whenever and however they wish and not even mention who took the photo.

And, after reading the 'Official Rules' this comp is no different... "USE OF ENTRY: By submitting an entry, each entrant grants to Sponsor and its designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual license to use, modify, crop and distribute the entry and all elements of such entry, including, without limitation, entrant’s photograph and entrant’s name and city and state of residence, for purposes of promotion of this Contest and/or future Contest publicity and advertising, and to promote Sponsor and Sponsor’s website, in any and all media now or hereafter known, including in PCPhoto magazine and an online gallery on Sponsor’s website, without further compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law."

Anyone will do anything to get a free stock library from unwitting photographers!