Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adorama and B & H

It seems they both have somebody monitoring this forum. Congrats to both for being that aggressive in their marketing. The fact they are willing to respond when appropriate is even better. That kind of customer service makes them my first choice even over a local store.

I'm doing all my printing at Adorama because of cost and service. Easy to deal with and a quality product.

If we could get them to pass on our dislikes and problems to the Pentax rep it would be great.

Ken

06-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Not Registered

I would only wish that Adorama were more efficient answering the e-mails. I keep waiting to know when will they receive the sigma 180 macro (that was several months ago, now it is too late). On the other side, I have never had any problem when I bought from them (besides the lack of stock information on some items on the web page)
06-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I recently did an online survey for B&H. I was mostly enthusiastic about their service and prices (just about any camera prices are better than local Aussie ones) but I did say that I didn't like the fact that the shipping address cannot be any different from the cardholder's address. I understand they do this for security, but it is still a nuisance.

One of the basic tenets of QIP systems such as Six Sigma is listening to what your customers are saying.

The only other company who has ever asked my opinion on their services is Qantas.
06-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
...the shipping address cannot be any different from the cardholder's address.
Crap! I live in another town now! You mean I can't order anything until I renew my debit card?

06-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Crap! I live in another town now! You mean I can't order anything until I renew my debit card?
I would say that is what it means. I would get a change of address for all my cards and license information or there might be other problems that will come up. Try getting stopped for a traffic violation and not have the right address. I did that once and they sent the ticket to my old address. needless to say I never responded and found out 6 months later I had my license revoked. It was a real pain in the A** to get everything straightened out. As for the Debit card If they try and contact you at your old address and the information is returned to sender they may just cancel the card when you need it the most.
06-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't have time to check at the moment Dan, but I have a feeling it might only be for overseas shipments.

For me in Oz, the delivery address cannot be redirected easily with most carriers until it is in the country. Tracking is so good nowadays I just have to keep my eye on the parcel's whereabouts, and then call them when it touches down, quote the tracking number, and tell them the new address. So it isn't a major pain in the arse but it is one I would prefer not to have to do.
06-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have grown to like Adorama no hassels, fast shipping, no saleperson calling me to buy other stuff....most importantly good prices.

06-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
It seems they both have somebody monitoring this forum. Congrats to both for being that aggressive in their marketing. The fact they are willing to respond when appropriate is even better. That kind of customer service makes them my first choice even over a local store.
Thank you.
06-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
B&H Photo Representative

I recently did an online survey for B&H. I was mostly enthusiastic about their service and prices (just about any camera prices are better than local Aussie ones) but I did say that I didn't like the fact that the shipping address cannot be any different from the cardholder's address. I understand they do this for security, but it is still a nuisance.
I understand that it's our job to make your shopping experience as painless and efficient as possible, but part of that process is ensuring we don't unwittingly allow you to become a victim of credit card fraud or identity theft through our carelessness or nonfeasance.

For non-USA customers, on our website your shipping options are limited to using your bill-to address or a USA address. This is, as noted, for security. If you order by phone/fax/e-mail, you can ship to your bill-to (home) or your job if it's in the same country as your home, or to a USA (residence) address.
06-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I imagine that if you take the time to speak to someone while changing your credit card info they'll either mail you a new bill instantly. Or possibly confirm it to the store for you somehow.
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is basically the same as almost any larger US dealer will do, as I can add from experience. I don't know why, may be credit card fraud is more widespread in the US, but they make a cult of veryfying credit card holders. It stops just short from providing your certificate of birth in some cases.

But on the other hand: I have been buying from B+H for the last 15 years for a total of several thousand dollars, all overseas. And I only and repeatedly have made very, very good experiences with their customer service. So for me it is worth to send a fax with credit card details now and then... By the way: KEH is in the same league, very helpful folks in Atlanta…

Ben
06-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #12

I think you guys have to look at it from the sellers side. If they ship product to a fraudelent address, it is their money gone! At that point it's just like if someone pilfered from their store, so you can't blame them for being careful on where they ship things.
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Not necessarily. With B&H, I was able to use my card with my home address and have everything sent to my mother's address but I had to jump through a lot of extra hoops. Since I'm my mother's caregiver and my wife is here as much as she's at home, I didn't want Ultracolor film sitting in my mailbox in Florida for 3-4 days.

I filled out their survey also and told them it would be a loooooonnnnng time before I bought from them again because they made it so difficult. They won't even take PayPal without a verified address. Guess how quickly they responded to my complaint? They didn't. Which tells me that survey is just for show or else they kind of ignore ones they don't like. Whatever it was, I got a lot better customer service from Freestyle. When I had to return something that I ordered by mistake (my mistake), they shipped the replacement by FedEx free.

CW

Oh wow, B&H just sent me an e-mail ad for Dads and Grads. They have a serious case of Nikon envy apparently. On their digital camera page are 12 Nikons and 0 Pentax.

Last edited by straightshooter; 06-03-2008 at 02:55 PM.
06-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote

I'm doing all my printing at Adorama because of cost and service. Easy to deal with and a quality product.

If we could get them to pass on our dislikes and problems to the Pentax rep it would be great.

Ken
Dear Ken

I've never been called aggressive, before!

My job is actually to act on behalf of Adorama customers; to follow through when there have been problems, to help resolve queries, and perhaps most importantly, to take any suggestions and ideas that our customers may have, directly to the ears of our Director for Strategic Development.

I do monitor as many forums as I can - but there are a lot! To avoid me missing anything really important, or if you ever have an unresolved difficulty, please do contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Ambassador
06-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What I've found, as of late, is it's better to directly call a business if you have a question, as opposed to emailing them (unless you're overseas). Yesterday, I called Adorama directly to get an idea of when I might get a photo backpack that I've got on backorder with them and found out that they're supposed to be getting them in sometime next week, so it shouldn't be too much longer before I have a camera bag once again.

Also, I called Popular Photography yesterday to cancel my digital subscription with them, as I just can't get used to reading my magazines off the computer screen. They were able to convert my subscription over to a print one, so I'm a happy camper once again. If I had emailed them, there's no telling where that email would've wound up.

I think it's really cool that the collective voice of this forum is loud enough to get the attention of B&H and Adorama so that we have our own reps.

Heather