Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This time it's me with "reds"

Hi all,
been noticing something lately.
Does it sometimes happen to you that you take a picture and the luminance histogram looks fine, then you open the RAW in CR and the red channel is clipped?
Yeah, sure, just turn on the RGB histogram and next time be more careful, ok?

Only... it's not that simple!
Opening one such pictures in RawDigger, all three channels (four, considering the second green channel) turn out perfectly fine!
Guess what's spoiling the party? Yep, the WB.
But the settings that would save the red channel (because data is still there) would obviously make for a psychedelic picture...
I've tried messing around with general picture controls (contrast, saturation, vibrance, highlights, whites and whatnot) WB, HLS panel and curves (R curve), but without getting quite there in terms of having a balanced and pleasing picture but without blowing the reds...
Anyone can give me some inputs on this?
Thx.

03-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
What's the body you are using? I know red clipping is an issue with the k-5. Simplest solution if you are shooting in raw is to underexpose a stop or so and set your developing profile with a more appropriately balanced red level.
K-01.
You see, it's not clipping, the data is there in the RAW, it's with the WB that the converter is clipping the red channel.