Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jo,
I too take pictures of large, fast moving, black (also black and tan) dogs like this one...

jshurak's post puts you on the right track. Set the mode dial (large dial on top left side of camera) to Tv. Now look through the viewfinder and point at the dogs.
Half-press the silver shutter button. You will see 2 numbers at the bottom left of the viewfinder. Now, use the small dial in front of the shutter button to make the number on the far left (the shutter speed) as big as possible WITHOUT the next number to the right starting to blink (if it starts blinking just turn the dial back a click or two). It's good if you can get the shutter speed number to 500 or larger.
Take picture.

BTW, your pictures aren't bad. Black dogs on bright background are tough.
Good luck and have fun.

06-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
AND... remember digital is free!

At least you're not taking pictures with film where you'd have to pay to develop the pics that you don't like Keep it simple if you can... try to take pictures of them when it's very bright outside, try not to take a lot of pictures for the time being inside (your camera can take great indoor pictures, but outdoor pictures in daytime is soooo much easier). If you only have the kit lens try to keep them in a relatively confined area so you don't spend all your time moving around or keep lots of treats in your pockets so they want to stay close to you. Try to take pictures with your camera (and you...) are down low so the camera is close to eye level of the dogs. If you can, get a friend to help out with playing w/ the dogs with toys and treats... make sure you are positioned at your friend's shoulder (or lower) so when the dogs come to play or get a treat, they will be facing you and will be happy. If at all possible, keep the sun at your back, but do not let your shadows cast on the dogs. And my last bit of advise is...... no butt shots!
06-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Jo,
I too take pictures of large, fast moving, black (also black and tan) dogs like this one...

How did you get it to sit there like that?
06-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Actually, the throttle makes the airplane climb (not enough power, no climbing)...
Well, not really. Throttle makes the airplane move forward, producing air flow over the wings which is converted to lift. It is lift that causes the airplane to climb. Gliders don't require a throttle, they require air flow over the wings. Same rules apply to sailing.
Look Ma, no throttle....Sorry, but I couldn't resist...

06-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Well, not really. Throttle makes the airplane move forward, producing air flow over the wings which is converted to lift. It is lift that causes the airplane to climb. Gliders don't require a throttle, they require air flow over the wings. Same rules apply to sailing.
Look Ma, no throttle....Sorry, but I couldn't resist...
Well actually gliders require a tow plane to climb, but now we're really nit picking.
06-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

He, he. Good training, I guess
06-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

As well as all the other excellent advice you've got here, I'd also like to suggest you do a few basic scales and arpeggios, (to change the metaphor). Try something less difficult than moving black pups. Take lots of simple shots around the backyard and local area, but keep to buildings, trees, bridges and things that don't move. Also, practice bracing yourself against something solid while you take simple shots. Simple, simple, simple, to get your confidence up. Don't worry too much about composition at the moment, you just need to spend time with the camera in your hands, making friends with it. You've bought a sophisticated tool and it takes time to learn to use it well. Be patient with yourself and discipline yourself to read the manual. Just read one section and practice with the settings of just that section, then put it away for the day. Next day, revise that section and then read the next one. The trick to getting your confidence up is small, achievable steps in an organized, regular daily discipline. That way you get to build your skills steadily, without panic.
And you can always come here for encouragement. We were all beginners. I'm new to this forum and to digital photography, although I spent many years with film cameras, and I've found everyone here really helpful and there's a deep fund of knowledge you can tap into.
Enjoy.

06-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Didn't you know? Rottweilers can levitate, meditate, walk on water and read Tibetan fluently.
That photo brought tears to my eyes and painful memories of the two that we had and loved...Great shot.
06-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Dumbrunette, you should think about changing your pseudo. You are smart enough to ask when you don't know something, which is better than quite a few people I know (I am not making any allusions to anybody on this forum). Only the idiots don't ask questions. When you are taking pictures of your dogs (nice beasts), put the camera on "P" and pop the flash, even in daylight. It will help bring the details in the fur. Don't give up, we're all behind you.
06-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Manuals are pretty "dry" reading, I'll agree. Here's a book that I found helpful: The Digital Photography Book, by Scott Kelby.
It's written so that each page is a self-contained tip/instruction. It's also geared towards the beginner, so you can follow along and try it yourself. You can skip around and find the tip you need help with. It's about $14 at Amazon, and well worth it. It's much easier and more enjoyable than reading the manual (though you should still read as much of the manual as you can stand - there's good info in there).

One thing to keep in mind is that SLRs are not point and shoot cameras, and the K10D is not the entry level camera from Pentax. They are assuming a certain level of knowledge in the controls, menu and manual. Scott Kelby's book can help you get up to speed quickly.

Finally, have fun with it. Try a setting, take some shots and see what happens. The film is free.
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Well actually gliders require a tow plane to climb, but now we're really nit picking.
Gliders require a tow plane (or winch, or car tow...) for take off only. IF the weather conditions are right, they can climb very easily. If the conditions aren't right, they can beat the towplane down.
06-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Gliders require a tow plane (or winch, or car tow...) for take off only. IF the weather conditions are right, they can climb very easily. If the conditions aren't right, they can beat the towplane down.
Stop with the planes already! Besides, some gliders can have its own engine for takeoff!
06-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
Stop with the planes already!
I disagree Flyer, I'm finding it hilarious
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Are you implying the dog was towed into place and is now gliding softly back down to earth?

06-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strong toenails, I assume, from constant exercise.