Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ok, TV ad time

So in the past hour or so I have seen Aston kutcher (sp??) with his Nikon D60 and just saw a Canon Xst ad
so with this new and great marketing company when will we see the Pentax K200D with a DA* lens on it getting a bucket of water thrown on it or a photo-mom caught at her kids ball game in the rain and still shooting when the rest have to cover up their cameras (better idea) and everything is fine and still working?
Come on use the strengths of the system Pentax, sell the darn thing, dont just sit on it

06-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

He's right, you know...
06-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
He's right, you know...
oh sorry for the logic, my bad
06-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would have to be the RIGHT commercial. One reason I stayed away from Canon was because of the stupid cheesy commercials that ran for it in the 80s. I thought that if a company that would stoop so low as to do that it wasn't a real camera and was just a toy for the masses. I shot Pentax. We don't do cheesy commercials. I got to be smug. If they do it, do it right. Make something classy. No Ashton whatshisname please.

Funny about your second example. I shot a friend's son's last game of his travel soccer career in the rain. I think I was the only camera out there that day.

06-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In Nikon's commercial, which seems to get 10x the airplay as Canon's, they seem to want to pimp out the camera as a tool for ladies to throw themselves at Ashton by taking naughty photos of themselves, then Ashton offering to pass copies to this other guy (doorman?) as he walks out. Classy in the extreme, lol.

Last night I saw the Canon Xsi commercial for the first time. As an advertising buff, I have to say I love how they presented the photo sequences, letting the photos do most of the talking.

However, I snickered when the sequence under the rain was shown and the small print disclaimer at the bottom of the screen said they used camera covers.

Then, as I researched the commercial, I found out they apparently took 70,000 some photos and used 10 photographers during the process. The shocker - they used "mostly" EOS-1D Mark III's. Oh my, bait and switch? Nah - after all, they're all EOS cameras, right?

Canon Official Camera of the NFL Check out the making-of video at the right side, 2nd choice. That rattling noise you hear throughout is the Canon Shutter Choir singing "Dance of the Thousand Shots to Get One Right"

Last edited by George Lama; 06-04-2008 at 04:03 AM.
06-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well you can't knock Nikon when it comes to strategy. Nikon was never 'better' than Pentax, except in the area of promoting their product - where they positively kicked butt. Canon caught on, and is at least trying to keep up with Nikon. Meanwhile, Pentax seems content to sit on the side lines and watch.

Don't throw any rocks at me, I love my Pentax equipment, and have used nothing but Pentax since the days of the ME Super. But facts are facts.
06-06-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Which takes us back to the point of Brendan's OP.

06-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Is it only Pentax owners that bemoan the fact that their beloved cameras are not promoted to their satisfaction, or does this happen with other folks loyal to other brands? I am not being sarcastic - I just don't know. Why do you (bemoaning, loyal, faithful, Pentax proponents) want Pentax to advertise more and/or differently? What would be the uptake if Pentax did aggressive advertising of their products? Do you get a sense of security or take comfort in the fact that you made a proper decision in your Pentax purchase if the product is advertised more? Are you concerned about the fiscal viability of the company? In other words if they don't advertise they won't sell enough cameras and ergo, they will go out of business. Is this it?

I am honestly curious. I have 4 Pentax cameras and lots of lenses so I am a fan; but I don't really care if they match Nikon or Canon in their advertising. I really don't feel I have to defend my choice to anyone. If Nikon or Canon made a better product for equal or less than my K10D cost me I might consider purchasing it, but they just don't. Am I a bad Pentaxian for saying that?

Last edited by J.Scott; 06-06-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: clarity
06-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

How much of Pentax appeal is the contrarian thing? If Pentax got Demi semi nude doing the Ashton thing, or became the Official Camera of the American Sloth Racing Association, would we be lumping them with Canon and Nikon, and looking at Olympus?

Of course, it's the quality of the equipment only, right
06-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
How much of Pentax appeal is the contrarian thing? If Pentax got Demi semi nude doing the Ashton thing, or became the Official Camera of the American Sloth Racing Association, would we be lumping them with Canon and Nikon, and looking at Olympus?

Of course, it's the quality of the equipment only, right
As one who started out using his father's Honeywell - Pentax, it's not the 'contrarian' issue for me. Though the years Pentax offered inovation, quality and affordability, which is why I have stuck with them all these years.

If Pentax wants to remain a 3rd rate company (with 1st rate products) it doesn't matter to me, so long as they remain in business. Them remaining in the slr camera business is what concerns me.

Although I do admit it irks me when a Nikon or Cannon user looks at my camera like it came from outer space.
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Although I do admit it irks me when a Nikon or Cannon user looks at my camera like it came from outer space.
I had some issue with that until last weekend. Was at a gathering here in town of shutterbugs and one of the Canonites (who runs their own "studio" business) turned to me an asked "What scene setting should I be using for this?" After I picked up my jaw from the floor I had to giggle a bit inside.

But back to marketing... I guess I'm of 2 minds on Pentax recognition and popularity. One the one hand it would be nice if the Pentax name regained the recognition as a "serious camera" that it had in the 70s and 80s. On the other hand, I kind of like the fact that our equipment is a bit less expensive than Canikon and if demand surpasses supply....
06-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

While attending a photography seminar, the presenter invited us onstage to test out his superduper, super-spiffy white balancing targets, and also offered to check sensors for dust using a tool he created (and was selling of course). Of the dozens of people who brought their cameras, I was the only one with a Pentax (grip and lens on, casting a pretty big shadow, lol). I felt pretty good

I would rather Pentax not waste their money on expensive ad campaigns just to cater to the masses. Use that money to develop new, faster lenses (PLEASE, I'm beggin ).
06-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The ol' Marketing Can-Can

Good marketing can lead to both increased visibility and status for a brand with a rich history (but recent minor market share) such as Pentax. This can lead to improved sales.

As pointed out on other threads, improved sales can lead to better availability in the camera stores, which can feed back into yet better sales.

Increased sales can lead to increased R&D spending on a wider range of better products, which has both intrinsic value for customers and further potential for feed back into yet better sales.

Finally, improved sales can help keep a company alive, doing what it has done well, for the foreseeable future, while poor sales can result in the death or dismemberment of a company that failed to remain competitive and viable as a commercial entity.

From my perspective, an intelligent, creative, and appealing marketing effort can help restore vigor to a company whose products I've used for a long time, one with which I'd like to continue to do business in the future.
06-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Is it only Pentax owners that bemoan the fact that their beloved cameras are not promoted to their satisfaction, or does this happen with other folks loyal to other brands? I am not being sarcastic - I just don't know. Why do you (bemoaning, loyal, faithful, Pentax proponents) want Pentax to advertise more and/or differently? What would be the uptake if Pentax did aggressive advertising of their products? Do you get a sense of security or take comfort in the fact that you made a proper decision in your Pentax purchase if the product is advertised more? Are you concerned about the fiscal viability of the company? In other words if they don't advertise they won't sell enough cameras and ergo, they will go out of business. Is this it?

I am honestly curious. I have 4 Pentax cameras and lots of lenses so I am a fan; but I don't really care if they match Nikon or Canon in their advertising. I really don't feel I have to defend my choice to anyone. If Nikon or Canon made a better product for equal or less than my K10D cost me I might consider purchasing it, but they just don't. Am I a bad Pentaxian for saying that?
Personally, I don't care if Pentax ever markets/advertises their products - HOWEVER, I do care that Pentax stays in business! Without advertising, a company will simply fade away. There's no way this group of Pentaxians can keep Pentax in business - new blood is constantly needed. Ok, off my soapbox.