Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The price we pay in Australia

Hi Pentax people,
I'm after some advice, particularly from fellow Australians but the experience of others might help also.
I'm one of those cautious shoppers. To date I have bought all of my digital camera equipment from Australian sellers who source from the official importer with Australian warranties. Occasionally this has cost me a few extra dollars but usually not more than 10% once you factor in postage, insurance, lousy credit card exchange rates and for the big items the possibility of being pinged for the GST. But it looks like that is going to change. Why?
I really want a DA*300 and apart from the fact that they seem to have only just arrived in Australia, they are also flogging them for about double what other countries are paying. $2149 looks more like a Sydney post code than a realistic price!

So, what I want to know is this.
Is this just an introductory price like we saw with the K20D that will go down (hopefully by about $900) in a month or two?
If it isn't, what is the best place to buy from overseas or as a parallel import?
How many Aussies already have this lens and where did you get it?
How many more of you intend to buy one?
For my part, I've waited patiently for this lens to be released, so I guess I can wait patiently for the price to drop. But at the moment it hurts...

06-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #2

My advice......buy overseas if you are going to save a substantial amount of money....
Camera bodies in general have always been comparable in price...well not enough difference to make it worthwhile not buying local. But that is simple marketing. .......once you have a camera body and possibly a kit lens, they can consider you now possibly in the market for further hardware at inflated prices. Battery grips, flash units etc in Australia are a minimum of twice the price of overseas.
With the crap I have had to put up with from our local agent here, my very strongly worded letter to them recently, included references to inflated prices and my intention to source from overseas.
I have always been passionate about supporting Australian businesses for obvious reasons, but when the level of stock and customer service is so low,
they no longer get my support.
And to answer one of your questions.......do not expect the price of that lens to reduce in price in Australia.
06-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #3

you're better off with B&H or Adorama, especailly given (from what i've been told) you can get international warranties with them.

Also, this post in another part of the forums could be something to follow up on.

I might poke CR Kennedy and see how much they can do the DA* 16-50
06-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Prodigital 2000 in Canada have good prices and a good reputation.

06-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Price matching?

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
Also, this post in another part of the forums could be something to follow up on.

I might poke CR Kennedy and see how much they can do the DA* 16-50
If you are in the "poke"ing mood can you see what they are prepared to do the DA*300 for? Did you get the price matching promise in writing or was it just a promise from an 'exhibition hall tart'?

I have emailed them before and they have been pretty unhelpful, even when they bothered to reply.

This was in stark contrast to some other importers of camera gear who have done a pretty good job (Ricoh and Kodak).
06-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second the B&H or Adorama buying.
Guaranteed good products delivered to your doorstep within 3 business days!
Done it thrice myself and am sold out on buying new gear from them from now on...
06-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If I was to buy new gear from an O/S store it'd be either B&H or Adorama ... although I'd like to know other places that seem to be good for international shipping if possible .... just so there are more options for us.

Most of the time though ... I find getting some items 2nd hand from the Marketplace is pretty safe on here ... I have even bought a new flash brand new from the Marketplace.