Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
what are my copyrights to images i've shot of rock concerts from the 70's and 80's?

i have hundreds of slides from the 50 plus concerts that i attended and photographed in the 70's and 80's. i recently bought a nikon coolscan to convert these images to digital files that i can manipulate and print on my epson R1800. i have a gallery show scheduled in november 2009, that i will be presenting (and selling) limited editions to the general public. i also have plans to offer these images to stock photo houses, the music publishing industry, poster publishers and card companies.
i believe as the photographer, i have the copyrights to the images, but what about the performers rights? some of these performers are dead (lowell george, warren zevon, rory gallagher), so contacting them directly is out of the question. others are still alive (kiss, jackson browne, lou reed, charlie daniels, kansas, ELP, hall n oates, just to name a few) i want to do this right so any suggestions, links or experiences in this area would be greatly appreciated. thanks (in advance).

06-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

you own them if you snapped them. Now problem comes in when you try to sell more than a print or for editoral use. Like say you make a book, you could run the risk with model releases etc.
06-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Generally, if the pictures are published in an educational context, you can publish without model release. If you are selling the images, you need a release from the person or whoever holds that persons rights (if deceased).
06-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Personally I'd just try contacting the existing bands, and see if you can work something out with them.
Some of them might be willing to pay you more than you can make at a gallery anyways.

As for the other bands, you my be able to contact their next of kin or someone with their rights.
If you make a reasonable attempt, and have it documented I would at least hope that you should be safe

06-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

just one thing is certain.

for every person's image that you put on display for anything other personal stuff, you need to have a release. if you use someone's image, you know that is trouble....

good luck working on that, it seems like a big job.
06-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

And record companies ain't the friendliest of folk.

Ask John Fogerty.
06-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you (all) for your quick replies. i will begin to search out additional info on the web, contact a good attorney, and research the point people with each band. yes it seems daunting but well worth the effort. be well.

Last edited by kre8tive1; 06-09-2008 at 12:45 PM.
06-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

let us know how it go's and how much it costs you in var. fees etc

06-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #9

If the photos are for a commercial use (advertising), you'd need a model release, but for Fine Art/exhibition use you can display it and sell it. It's history and you took them. But like someone said, some bands might offer you more than you think if they are really good and they want it. Good luck!