Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Has anyone ever used a light box?

Has anyone ever used a light box? If so please share opinions, techniques, equipment needs, and any other information about using a light box would be appreciated.

I would be interested in learning about how to use the box itself but also about how to create different color backgrounds. White, black, and/or any other colors would be good.

Thanks!

04-10-2015, 02:29 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Has anyone ever used a light box? If so please share opinions, techniques, equipment needs, and any other information about using a light box would be appreciated.

I would be interested in learning about how to use the box itself but also about how to create different color backgrounds. White, black, and/or any other colors would be good.

Thanks!
Yes, I have used one. They are good for product photos for ebay, etc. Amazon has a good selection of them. Some come with lights and different colored backgrounds.
Mine is a neewer brand with two lights. It just pops up to a 30" x 30" cube. I think I paid about 50 dollars. Very good for still life where you want to control the lighting.
Just do a search on Amazon or other sites like B & H, ADORAMA,etc. Read the reviews and you will be informed. You can also make your own. DIYPHOTOGRAPHY may show you how. They are basically a box made from light diffusing material that you can shine light thru for soft lighting.. They have an opening to stick your camera lens thru to take the shot.
04-10-2015, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a 30"x30"x30" light tent I bought from Cowboy Studio. I paid about $38 for it. It comes with four backgrounds, white, blue, red, and black. I haven't used the backgrounds yet, because of the creases from being folded. I suppose one these days when I'm sufficiently motivated I'll pull out the iron, but for now I just use a roll of 24" white paper as a background.

I generally use a three speedlight setup, one on either side of the tent, and the third either in front (near the camera) or over the top of the tent.
04-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK a couple of follow up questions...

When you filter the light through something semi opaque like that does it have any effect on the white balance?

Would you normally use a standard flash or two (or three) or continuous light? If continuous light, what kind of light? Or does it even matter? Or will it mess up your white balance of you use something funky?

I am also wondering if anyone has ever used one of these for macro. I wonder if that would work...

04-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The diffusion material is white, it should not adversely affect the white balance, but you can always do a custom WB if necessary. I don't use continuous lighting. I prefer the power and versatility of flash.
04-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

The white balance will be based on the kind of light source you use. If you use tungsten set your camera for that. For flash, set to flash and so forth.
Any light source will do. Light is light. Some cool, some warm. Or just set the camera to auto white balance. The fabric only diffuses the light. It has no effect on white balance unless it's colored something other that white. It only softens the light so it's not so harsh. It's the same material used in all the softboxes used for flash and strobes. For macro you need to get very close to the subject so you may need to move that closer to the lens opening in the cube.
I see no reason why you can't do macro if you get the lighting right.
Any number of lights will work. I would use all the same color temp for those so your white balance will be consistent. All flash, all tungsten etc.
Hope that helps.