Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #1

Retail Nightmare

Hi Pentax people, I have being a Pentax user right from my first 35mm.
I bought the K100D with the idea of using most of my old lens.
The only problem I seem to be haveing as to date is the lack of good supporrt from most retail camera stores in Calgary AB..
I have been told that if I use anyother lens other than Pentax I would void my warranty. The only len K adaptor looks nothing I have seen on the internet, this camera sore told me that adaptor I'm looking for is only avilable over seas.
I get more help fron the camera department at the locale London Drug store
I still think the K100D was the right camera. Once I feel a little more comfortalbe my might shot a shot or two.
ron from ronsworks

09-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by ronsworks Quote
I have been told that if I use anyother lens other than Pentax I would void my warranty.
Huh? Did I miss something in my manual?
Where you told that using another lens would void the warranty, or any possible damage caused by another lens would not be covered? There is a big difference. I'd like to know for sure because I plan to buy a Tamron lens soon.
09-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming you want to use M42 screwmount lenses, this is the adapter you're looking for:

http://mosphotos.com/plensadapter.htm

KEH has one for $35, I believe it is an original Pentax.
09-30-2006, 01:31 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Other brand lenses

What a lot of rubbish. Of course you can use lenses other than Pentax provided that they have the pentax K mount system.
What would Pentax do if companies like Tamron or Sigma didn't produce pentax K mounted lenses?
Of course for older lenses you will need a lens adapter.

09-30-2006, 02:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Retail nitemare.

This sounds like a very good case of a sales person not knowing what the heck they are talking about. 90% of the sales force in the camera and imaging system industry don't know squat about the products on their shelves. They don't know because they are just there to ring up a sale. They haven't been trained in the
true fashion of customer service, and they haven't even read the first page of the manual of any camera the store sells. They read the customer (most times they read them right, sorry to say.) this guy doesn't know anything about this product either so I'm free to tell him anything he want's to hear. They make the sale and the customer goes away happy (for now) But when the customer gets home and finds out what the guy said was BS it's to late. The sale is made and the guy who bought into this BS doesn't want to go back and look like even more of an idiot, so he finds out the hard way, this product he just bought won't do what he wants it to do.

In this case though, You bought a very good camera from a very great Manufacture (Pentax), and you have a way to get better information and the true help you need from people who understand and care about the product.(the Pentax forum).

It's a real shame for any shop to have employed any person who doesn't know the product they sell and I for one will talk to a sales person, Know he is giving me a line of BS, And I'll let him, and every one else around the conversation know he's an idiot. I do this because I don't want this person giving wrong information to the public. I will also tell the manager, or store owner, the same thing. I can prove what I know by being able to show them and explain to them the manual they have not read. I don't trap people but I don't let them off the hook once cought.

I was always tought not to open your mouth if you can't give the right information, The very best thing any sales person can do is to say (you know I really don't have experience with this product, but let me get some one who does to help you.) 95% of the time the customer will respect this sales person and after getting the right information from the other guy will say thank you for your time leave the store only to return later to that same guy that was honest and give him the sale.

Rant over, sorry.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
11-18-2006, 01:27 AM   #6

Hi Pentax people, I have being a Pentax user right from my first 35mm.
I bought the K100D with the idea of using most of my old lens.
The only problem I seem to be haveing as to date is the lack of good supporrt from most retail camera stores in Calgary AB..
I have been told that if I use anyother lens other than Pentax I would void my warranty. The only len K adaptor looks nothing I have seen on the internet, this camera sore told me that adaptor I'm looking for is only avilable over seas.
I get more help fron the camera department at the locale London Drug store
I still think the K100D was the right camera. Once I feel a little more comfortalbe my might shot a shot or two.
ron from ronsworks
Here in Australia they sell Pentax cameras bundled with Sigma lenses.
11-18-2006, 05:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Another case of "not knowing their ars from a whole in the ground".

You're in Calgary and I'm sure there are a few stores there. Curious to know whether you went to Black's or if that particular store had a huge Nikon display.

01-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
the night mare is over

Hi People the night mare is over all to the help from the people from the camera depatment at London Drugs. They did more than what one would expect. So I don't think you will see me in any other camera store. Would you believe they have a 30 day return, if you are not saticfaied.
I got my K adptor, now all I have to do is sort out all my old lens.
02-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #9

Everybody else covered just about everthing else there is but one thing I noticed when I started putting my old lenses fro my K2 onto my 110D was that
the apature would not close down , so in an effort to defeat it I found that the tang needed to be bent about 1mm to work properly . It had to be done to my pentax lenses as well as the aftermarket lenses I have and once bent they work perfect.
Dave
02-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #10

Hi People the night mare is over all to the help from the people from the camera depatment at London Drugs. They did more than what one would expect. So I don't think you will see me in any other camera store. Would you believe they have a 30 day return, if you are not saticfaied.
I got my K adptor, now all I have to do is sort out all my old lens.
missed this earlier, but I'm glad you are set now. I find it ironic that you have found good support at LD instead of a photo shop as I have experienced the exact opposite. I do know that LD does have some good people I guess your local LD is one of those locations.