Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How many of us are this crazy?

This link is to a photo of Annie Leibovitz. There is nothing below her but 61 stories of air! Sheesh, I get dizzy above the second step of a ladder.
John Loengard - Annie Leibovitz on the Chrysler Building @ GALLERY M

CW

06-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not afraid of heights but I have a healthy appreciation for the weird air currents that surround skyscrapers. NO WAY! (even with a safety rope)

Annie Leibovitz is one of those rare people that know what they want, the guts to run with it and the good karma to get away with it.
06-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a fear of heights at all. But i have a horrific fear fo falling from great heights

Back in the late 70's when I covered sports in NYC I got permission to go to the top of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and photograph the start of the NYC Marathon from there. Wow, I felt lucky as there were only three photogrphers allowed to go up. Luckily, I knew the lawyers for the TBTA.

Anyway, there is NO RAILING on the top of the two towers (Lord of the Ring talk)
and you could walk right off into oblivion, or be blown off. I was so freak'n scared out of my mind that I had a tough time concentrating on the task at hand. I remember crawling on my belly to the edge and looking over the edge at the advancing runners. I had to back away because I was worried about dropping a lens 258 or so feet right through someone's skull or worse, me passing out and taking a few out as I plummeted. Never Again!

The next year I rented a helicopter to cover the race and had a friend who is a great photographer be my assistant. We banked, the door opened and my buddy almost fell out had I not grabbed him. Thank goodness he also caught my lenses that were sliding off the Haliburton onto him and then, potentially out the chopper.

I don't like choppers either now.

Stephen

Stephen
06-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Stephen, I'm the same way. As long as there is a railing, I'm fine with heights. I used to live on the 34th floor with a balcony, and that never bothered me, but I cant get close to an edge if there isn't a wall or railing.

06-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hopefuly her high heels have no-slip grip soles ...especially on that metal surface!
06-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I don't have a fear of heights at all. But i have a horrific fear fo falling from great heights

Back in the late 70's when I covered sports in NYC I got permission to go to the top of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and photograph the start of the NYC Marathon from there. Wow, I felt lucky as there were only three photogrphers allowed to go up. Luckily, I knew the lawyers for the TBTA.

Anyway, there is NO RAILING on the top of the two towers (Lord of the Ring talk)
and you could walk right off into oblivion, or be blown off. I was so freak'n scared out of my mind that I had a tough time concentrating on the task at hand. I remember crawling on my belly to the edge and looking over the edge at the advancing runners. I had to back away because I was worried about dropping a lens 258 or so feet right through someone's skull or worse, me passing out and taking a few out as I plummeted. Never Again!

The next year I rented a helicopter to cover the race and had a friend who is a great photographer be my assistant. We banked, the door opened and my buddy almost fell out had I not grabbed him. Thank goodness he also caught my lenses that were sliding off the Haliburton onto him and then, potentially out the chopper.

I don't like choppers either now.

Stephen

Stephen
Good story!

c[_]
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

looks like she's tied securely at the foot but i'm not scared of heights if looking down, now if i look up, i get a whoosh

06-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
Hopefuly her high heels have no-slip grip soles ...especially on that metal surface!
If you look at her left shoe, it appears to be a flat, not a heel. I think the chain by her right foot fools the eye into seeing a high heel.
06-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Stephen, I'm the same way. As long as there is a railing, I'm fine with heights. I used to live on the 34th floor with a balcony, and that never bothered me, but I cant get close to an edge if there isn't a wall or railing.
Give me a railing and I don't care if its 10 feet or 100 miles. But what Annie is doing is way outta my comfort zone. LOL
06-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
way outta my comfort zone. LOL
You and me both. I don't care if they had me tied by the ankle, knee, waist and shoulders. They would still have to send someone out there to pry my fingers out of the holes I had clawed in those metal plates.

QuoteQuote:
I don't like choppers either now
Stephen, you do know the Navy definition of a helicopter? It's a collection of spare aircraft parts flying in close formation.

CW
06-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Give me a railing and I don't care if its 10 feet or 100 miles. But what Annie is doing is way outta my comfort zone. LOL
Mike,

Railing is great, but I check to make sure it isn't rusted or oxidized anywhere. I have had those give way too. I'm lucky to be here is guess.

Stephen
06-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yikes. Like MRRiley, I can handle being behind railings, and then I managed this:

06-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow - never! I'm not soooo bad with heights, but, that, Stephen's experiences, and song-hm's picture give me the willies.
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Yikes. Like MRRiley, I can handle being behind railings, and then I managed this:

Nice. I just read the description on the photo page.

I took this in Auckland, and even with the small section of plexi, I wasn't all that comfortable standing on it:

06-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Now that is crazy. Don't your legs go weak all of sudden?