Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Forest Park, Georgia/Jacksonville, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 633
How many of us are this crazy?

This link is to a photo of Annie Leibovitz. There is nothing below her but 61 stories of air! Sheesh, I get dizzy above the second step of a ladder.
John Loengard - Annie Leibovitz on the Chrysler Building @ GALLERY M

CW

06-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian
MRRiley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling, VA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,276
I'm not afraid of heights but I have a healthy appreciation for the weird air currents that surround skyscrapers. NO WAY! (even with a safety rope)

Annie Leibovitz is one of those rare people that know what they want, the guts to run with it and the good karma to get away with it.
06-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
I don't have a fear of heights at all. But i have a horrific fear fo falling from great heights

Back in the late 70's when I covered sports in NYC I got permission to go to the top of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and photograph the start of the NYC Marathon from there. Wow, I felt lucky as there were only three photogrphers allowed to go up. Luckily, I knew the lawyers for the TBTA.

Anyway, there is NO RAILING on the top of the two towers (Lord of the Ring talk)
and you could walk right off into oblivion, or be blown off. I was so freak'n scared out of my mind that I had a tough time concentrating on the task at hand. I remember crawling on my belly to the edge and looking over the edge at the advancing runners. I had to back away because I was worried about dropping a lens 258 or so feet right through someone's skull or worse, me passing out and taking a few out as I plummeted. Never Again!

The next year I rented a helicopter to cover the race and had a friend who is a great photographer be my assistant. We banked, the door opened and my buddy almost fell out had I not grabbed him. Thank goodness he also caught my lenses that were sliding off the Haliburton onto him and then, potentially out the chopper.

I don't like choppers either now.

Stephen

Stephen
06-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
Stephen, I'm the same way. As long as there is a railing, I'm fine with heights. I used to live on the 34th floor with a balcony, and that never bothered me, but I cant get close to an edge if there isn't a wall or railing.

06-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 302
Hopefuly her high heels have no-slip grip soles ...especially on that metal surface!
06-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I don't have a fear of heights at all. But i have a horrific fear fo falling from great heights

Back in the late 70's when I covered sports in NYC I got permission to go to the top of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and photograph the start of the NYC Marathon from there. Wow, I felt lucky as there were only three photogrphers allowed to go up. Luckily, I knew the lawyers for the TBTA.

Anyway, there is NO RAILING on the top of the two towers (Lord of the Ring talk)
and you could walk right off into oblivion, or be blown off. I was so freak'n scared out of my mind that I had a tough time concentrating on the task at hand. I remember crawling on my belly to the edge and looking over the edge at the advancing runners. I had to back away because I was worried about dropping a lens 258 or so feet right through someone's skull or worse, me passing out and taking a few out as I plummeted. Never Again!

The next year I rented a helicopter to cover the race and had a friend who is a great photographer be my assistant. We banked, the door opened and my buddy almost fell out had I not grabbed him. Thank goodness he also caught my lenses that were sliding off the Haliburton onto him and then, potentially out the chopper.

I don't like choppers either now.

Stephen

Stephen
Good story!

c[_]
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Clicker's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,241
looks like she's tied securely at the foot but i'm not scared of heights if looking down, now if i look up, i get a whoosh
06-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 813
QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
Hopefuly her high heels have no-slip grip soles ...especially on that metal surface!
If you look at her left shoe, it appears to be a flat, not a heel. I think the chain by her right foot fools the eye into seeing a high heel.

06-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian
MRRiley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling, VA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,276
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Stephen, I'm the same way. As long as there is a railing, I'm fine with heights. I used to live on the 34th floor with a balcony, and that never bothered me, but I cant get close to an edge if there isn't a wall or railing.
Give me a railing and I don't care if its 10 feet or 100 miles. But what Annie is doing is way outta my comfort zone. LOL
06-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Forest Park, Georgia/Jacksonville, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 633
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
way outta my comfort zone. LOL
You and me both. I don't care if they had me tied by the ankle, knee, waist and shoulders. They would still have to send someone out there to pry my fingers out of the holes I had clawed in those metal plates.

QuoteQuote:
I don't like choppers either now
Stephen, you do know the Navy definition of a helicopter? It's a collection of spare aircraft parts flying in close formation.

CW
06-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Give me a railing and I don't care if its 10 feet or 100 miles. But what Annie is doing is way outta my comfort zone. LOL
Mike,

Railing is great, but I check to make sure it isn't rusted or oxidized anywhere. I have had those give way too. I'm lucky to be here is guess.

Stephen
06-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 798
Yikes. Like MRRiley, I can handle being behind railings, and then I managed this:


06-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 475
Wow - never! I'm not soooo bad with heights, but, that, Stephen's experiences, and song-hm's picture give me the willies.
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Yikes. Like MRRiley, I can handle being behind railings, and then I managed this:


Nice. I just read the description on the photo page.

I took this in Auckland, and even with the small section of plexi, I wasn't all that comfortable standing on it:

06-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
Now that is crazy. Don't your legs go weak all of sudden?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
annie, camera, leibovitz, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SR Went Crazy Engi_Nerd Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 06-09-2010 08:37 PM
Maybe I'm Not Crazy After All Sailor General Talk 7 04-02-2010 07:02 AM
I'm going crazy!!! mchud Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 11-30-2008 04:38 AM
Am I crazy? :) kinsale Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 08-21-2008 12:01 PM
Am I crazy? gnaztee Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 02-14-2008 11:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top