Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Taking photos from Jumbotron screen

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get good photos from a Jumbotron screen? I attended my niece's graduation from nursing school and had my 50-500mm lens all prepared, and got some good pix of the stage, the crowd, etc. But I was seated in the wrong place to get photos of her accepting her diploma. From my seat I would have gotten her back and nothing of her beautiful face and since we were in the nosebleed seats I couldn't really move to a better angle. With the front shots being projected on the overhead jumbotron screen, I tried taking some photos of that screen. ONE turned out okay but the rest were pretty pitiful, showing all the little square pixels and just looking bad in general. Photoshop elements didn't improve them (or at least not for me). I used the automatic (green) setting on my camera. Did I need a faster shutter speed or?????? Any tips for the next graduation?

Mary
Los Angeles

05-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just like in real estate location is the key.

Put yourself where you need to be.

I've sometimes made myself an annoyance but sometimes it's necessary to get the shot.

Some ceremonies will provide a location where you can stand temporarily to get the shot of your graduate, maybe you can inquire about it.
05-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand the Jumbo screen is basically a large television screen.

My old Ricoh XR-P film camera had sync settings for various TV types.

I found these values on Wikipedia
  • TV/PA Mode (CRT) - designed for CRT image photos, setting the shutter speed to 1/4 speed.
  • TV/P Mode (NTSC) - used for recording images from the standard American television transmissions of the time. Shutter speed set to 1/30 second.
  • TV/PD (PAL/SECAM) - used for recording images from the standard European television transmissions of the time. Shutter speed set to 1/25 second.
I remember playing around with the settings years ago. It worked to a certain degree. As I had no use for the facility my experiments did not extend beyond the basic "yes it works" The images were made up of coloured dots recognizable but not very good quality..
05-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

is there a difference in settings used of the one good pic and the others to make any comparison of what 'worked'???

05-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I understand the Jumbo screen is basically a large television screen.

My old Ricoh XR-P film camera had sync settings for various TV types.

I found these values on Wikipedia
  • TV/PA Mode (CRT) - designed for CRT image photos, setting the shutter speed to 1/4 speed.
  • TV/P Mode (NTSC) - used for recording images from the standard American television transmissions of the time. Shutter speed set to 1/30 second.
  • TV/PD (PAL/SECAM) - used for recording images from the standard European television transmissions of the time. Shutter speed set to 1/25 second.
I remember playing around with the settings years ago. It worked to a certain degree. As I had no use for the facility my experiments did not extend beyond the basic "yes it works" The images were made up of coloured dots recognizable but not very good quality..
However that advice is for CRT type displays which most jumbo screens aren't. The symptom you would get if that was the case is a streak across the frame from the shutter curtain. The big square pixels sound accurate for that type of screen.
05-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not very much difference from one image to the next. On Auto, my K5 did F5.6 1/40 ISO 3200 at 170mm zoom distance on the first attached photo #4869 and F5.6 1/25 ISO 3200 at 2400mm on the second #4855. Interesting that the one slightly longer shot of one of the speakers #4854 was better and its specs are F5.6 1/60 ISO 3200 at 113mm. Hmmmmmm. At least the next graduation this upcoming weekend is all outdoors so I don't have to worry about the pixels on screen; just have to find a good position with the sun at my back hopefully. Or I'll just have to walk around until I find a good spot to stand and try not to be too annoying Thanks all for your input. If you think of anything else, let me know. I always appreciate getting your feedback to my questions.
Mary
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

what you call the best pic has the fastest shutter speed out of the 3.......so it would seem shutter speed of 1/60 or more would produce decent results and on the flip side the blurry pic has the slowest shutter speed (to be expected with any movement at 1/25 of a second).......with these little notes you can take more control of yer camera and use better settings for the conditions than have the camera choose them for you.....the green button gives a good assessment for exposure but knowing yer situation, adapt to the conditons for the the shot ya want......I am learning this and the experience is starting to kick in......i'm starting to have more fun taking pics that I think are pretty good rather than getting frustrated with poor results

Last edited by Aaron28; 05-12-2015 at 03:12 PM.
05-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are also zoomed out more on the last pic. The screen you photographed is just that pixelated.
05-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yep...I noticed the faster shutter looked better, as well as not zoomed in quite so much. Along with all your comments, I think I might be getting much better Jumbotron pix in future. Too bad you can't have a re-do on this kind of thing. Also, next time I'm taking my monopod (or tripod) even though they really kind of get in the way when seated in tiered rows. Thanks again, everyone, for your help.