Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 04:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
and you've got less than $50 invested
Not counting the psychiatrists' fees you will need when you get up close and personal to the Bug World and see the inhuman horrors that lurk within, LOL!

07-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Let's cut to the chase, shall we? If you plan to continue photography and want to get from point A to point B in the fastest manner possible, do yourself a favor and spring for a SMC Pentax-FA 100mm f:2.8 lens. A little spendy (I just bought mine about two months ago for $229.00) but it was the best investment I ever made as far as lenses go. If you're wanting to jump head-first into macro photography and want a top drawer piece of glass, that's what I would recommend. I speak from experience. Good luck on whatever you decide to go. Macro is a world of it's own and SO much fun and rewarding, too!
09-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #18

Does Sigma make their 105 for Pentax? I have a Pentax 100mm old school F4. Going to purchase a new one shortly. Can I get shots like the above with just a new 1:1 Pentax wr 100mm? Or do I need tubes and/or a Raynox 250 as well?
09-14-2015, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of good advice here, so some of what follows is redundant.
1) for indoor, studio work, a shorter FL is more useful. Many excellent macros in the ~50mm length, but probably the 50mm SMCA f2.8 is as good or better than any.
2) as someone noted, FL's of 90-105mm are the most versatile and the minimum required for live, in-the-field insect macro. Almost any lens, any manufacturer in this FL range will be excellent. I have an ancient Tokina (requires a matched adapter to reach 1:1, purchased in the 1980's as I recall) that is excellent. All versions of Tamron's 90mm macro have an excellent reputation, ditto for Sigma's 105mm macro.
3) If you plan to do a lot of wild insect macros, you will eventually desire a 180~200mm macro. Sadly, there are no macros at this focal length currently in production for K-mount. I have an original 200mm f4 SMCA-ED purchased used about 1991. It is outstanding, but very hard to obtain and only at wallet-deflating prices. Rumor has it that Pentax will reissue the AF version of their 200mm macro around the time they introduce a FF body, but do not hold your breath.

4) AND, AND, if you have a good quality SFL lens of 50~200mm, or a good quality zoom that has a filter thread no larger than 67mm, consider purchasing a RAYNOX CM-2000 MACRO EXPLORER SET ($103). This pair of achromatic clip-on filters can provide excellent quality macro images (track down the thread here on PF that is devoted to these filters). This is by far the least expensive way to get started in macro, and if you have a good SFL lens, the results can be outstanding. I have used these on an old 200mm SMCA lens (purchased for $100) and found the IQ embarrassingly competitive with any of the macro lenses I own. BTW: Results with a zoom lens are unpredictable - excellent with some, unacceptable with others; using these on a longer FL lens increases magnification, but does not increase the lens-to-subject distance; and to focus, you MUST move the entire camera + lens fore-aft (turning the focus ring is ineffective).

RE: You DO NOT need AF for macro, and at high magnifications and/or shorter focal lengths, AF may not work. At high magnifications (around 1:3) and using a shorter FL (especially ~50mm) you will probably want or need some kind of macro-focus rail. I find that flash illuminated macros are sharper than natural light macros about 80% of the time, even when the camera is atop a heavy tripod. With flash, broadly diffused lighting is best, and flat, straight-on lighting is commonly best. Modeling with shadows, a concept that is a legacy of B&W studio portraiture, doesn't always apply to macros. Extreme color macros of insects emphasize details of hairs, and shadows of those hairs can cause visual confusion that actually detracts from image impact.

There is good advice on macrophotography here on PF, and there are several excellent sites devoted to macro. Here are two that I like:

www.extreme-macro.co.uk/
www.photomacrography.net

The first site is especially devoted to macro at greater than life size using image stacking on dead subjects, but there is all manner of useful information on lenses, flash, technique, and the site's author uses Pentax.

The second site is very extensive with many images posted by readers, basic to very advanced advice, an equipment exchange, macros from 1:5 or so up to 10X or more, etc. etc. The cannot-be-done-better quality of some posted images can be either inspiring or intimidating.

Traditional advice: start simple; take pictures to please yourself.

09-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

All good advice. Dollar for dollar - go for the DFA 100/2.8 or FA100/2.8 or F100/2.8 as a starter. Well priced and excellent all rounder lens with 1:1 macro. Can't go wrong.

I do recommend AF in macro if only to help capture shots at f13-16 with onboard flash in windy conditions. Sometimes nature will make it nigh on impossible to take a macro in the field.
09-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
Does Sigma make their 105 for Pentax?
Indeed they do; I have the Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 EX. A fantastic lens, that I'm enjoying, but just learning macro.
09-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #22

It must be an older lens. I can't find one anywhere

09-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know the age of mine; I bought it from a fellow member here, and is in new condition. Here is one on Amazon:

Amazon.com : Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Medium Telephoto Macro Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo
09-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #24

Cool...ty. I just found a EX non DG macro on Ebay.

Is this the same one you have? 508 Sigma AF 105mm F2 8 EX Macro for Pentax Excellent Fromjapan 22 | eBay

Are you happy with the image quality ? Where in Montana are you from?
09-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine is the EX DG macro. It also came with the hood, which is nice.

I'm very happy with the image quality.

I'm around the Capitol, Helena.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by csa; 09-15-2015 at 10:04 AM.
09-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Cheapest option there is. Mount it to an M 50/2 and you've got less than $50 invested.

General Brand Reverse Adapter Pentax K to 49mm AV49PK B&H Photo
Jim, that's a fantastic result!
09-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Jim, that's a fantastic result!
The down side of reversing: no diaphragm connection to camera. An alternative: reverse mount a bellows lens on something of 100-200mm, or use the Raynox macro filters. That way you still have auto diaphragm and can even use pTTL flash, if you have an appropriate flash and it's not too close to the subject.
09-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Mine is the EX DG macro. It also came with the hood, which is nice.

I'm very happy with the image quality.

I'm around the Capitol, Helena.

I put in an offer on a Pentax...if he refuses I think I'll snap up the Sigma

I'm from Billings....grew up on Ohio in Helena and went to Jefferson.
09-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you'd be very happy with either Pentax or the Sigma.

Small world isn't it? I grew up in Butte, and moved to Helena in 1967! There's another member here that resides in Billings.
09-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #30

IS there such a critter for extension tubes that allow control of the Aperture? A couple of the lens I am looking at do not have an aperture ring