Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manhattanhenge by Neil deGrasse Tyson

QuoteQuote:
What will future civilizations think of Manhattan Island when they dig it up and find a carefully laid out network of streets and avenues? Surely the grid would be presumed to have astronomical significance, just as we have found for the pre-historic circle of large vertical rocks known as Stonehenge, in the Salisbury Plain of England. For Stonehenge, the special day is the summer solstice, when the Sun rises in perfect alignment with several of the stones, signaling the change of season.

05-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to be watching/photographing Manhattenhenge tomorrow (Saturday) night!
05-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
... apparently there are hundreds of folks down there trying to do the same thing....
05-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup. It clouded up on the horizon and there was no reason to go down there to see it. We took a nap, instead. ;-)

06-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I find such thinking depressing, negativistic and verging upon the destructive. It is a vision for failure. I always thought the idea was to be sure your civilisation and its writings endured long enough that future humanity KNEW what it was about, just as we know a whole damn lot about Rome 2000 years after the event. Surely, with our technology, we can do better.
06-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I find such thinking depressing, negativistic and verging upon the destructive. It is a vision for failure. I always thought the idea was to be sure your civilisation and its writings endured long enough that future humanity KNEW what it was about, just as we know a whole damn lot about Rome 2000 years after the event. Surely, with our technology, we can do better.
More likely the island will be underwater, like Alexandria now. Millions of years ago they'll discover the geometric reefs are growing on the skeletons of ancient buildings.

We can be optimistic about our own future, but at the same time realize no civilization has lasted forever. Humanity shifts, moves, evolves.
06-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Surely the grid would be presumed to have astronomical significance, just as we have found for the pre-historic circle of large vertical rocks known as Stonehenge, i
Only if people were a lot less intelligent than we are today, there are many sites such as Pompey which have streets laid out in a grid that have been assigned no astronomical significance. ... and stop calling me "Shirley".

06-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Only if people were a lot less intelligent than we are today, there are many sites such as Pompey which have streets laid out in a grid that have been assigned no astronomical significance. ... and stop calling me "Shirley".
Morning Shirley ....

06-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though to Dr. Tyson's point - even in areas where geography has little influence, we still lay that grid out via the ordinals. Certainly it's not universal, but the vast majority of cities seem to be so. Whether this is a traditional nod to Sol I can't say, but I'd bet it is.