Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First Photo Stacked Macro

With my new Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 lens, and a new, workable, rail I've had the chance to try some stacking shots. This is my first try, tabletop, indoor and flash lit.

It's not as good as it could have been, mainly due to the fact my rail hit the table before I'd got all the shots Full details can be had by clicking the image, link to Flickr.

Any comments, hints, tips and offers of payment always appreciated.

Last edited by Ray Hines; 06-07-2015 at 08:03 AM.
06-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
With my new Tamron f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 lens, and a new, workable, rail I've had the chance to try some stacking shots. This is my first try, tabletop, indoor and flash lit.

It's not as good as it could have been, mainly due to the fact my rail hit the table before I'd got all the shots Full details can be had by clicking the image, link to Flickr.

Any comments, hints, tips and offers of payment always appreciated.

I'm going to show my complete ignorance about this subject and ask: What is the object of "image stacking"? When I look at the accompanying image, I don't see anything of any particular significance. Is there something I should be looking for?
06-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Dewman, it's a lot to do with DoF mate. Here's a link to help you out, he can explain it better than I can. An Introduction to Focus Stacking - Digital Photography School

It's also very popular for star trail photography.

Ray
06-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
When I look at the accompanying image, I don't see anything of any particular significance.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
Hi Dewman, it's a lot to do with DoF mate.
The subject is an iris petal. With normal technique even at f/32, the full range (near to far) would not be in focus and there would be a sharpness penalty due to diffraction. One can do minor miracles using focus stacking.

Steve

06-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The subject is an iris petal. With normal technique even at f/32, the full range (near to far) would not be in focus and there would be a sharpness penalty due to diffraction. One can do minor miracles using focus stacking.

Steve

Ah so. Now I understand. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for enlightening me, fellas. It sounds like something I might be interested in, especially if you can predetermine EXACTLY where the sharpness begins AND ends. That would be SUPERB! In some respects, it's sorta' like HDR, only it's concerning focus, NOT exposure.... eh?
06-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
In some respects, it's sorta' like HDR, only it's concerning focus, NOT exposure.... eh?
Very good analogy, Dewman.
06-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm very interested in this topic. I made a couple of preliminary experiments in Photoshop but the results were disappointing. What software works best and what techniques are most effective?

06-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
It is fun David and worth a bit of practice. I find working on a tabletop 1000% easier than trying to work outdoors. Even a little bit of wind will mess with everything. If you're after flowers then pick one and use a 3rd Hand to hold it on a table. If you're after insects then either hit them with a large mallet, take then indoors lay them on a table or spear them with a large nail and attach to a piece of wood then be quick with the photos before they notice.

I have only had my 90mm macro lens for a few days so have only had a couple of tries so far. The first was the flower above, the second, I've just finished, is a watch (below). Neither are perfect but I'm happy with the results so far. I use a Hähnel Triad Compact C4 Tripod and a Goliton® 4 way bracket photography PTZ macro focusing focus rail neither of which are high spec high price items. I have a Tamron 90mm Macro lens on my Pentax K-r. I have tried Helicon Focus 6 and Zerene Stacker but I find PS 6 works best for me. Helicon and Zerene can both be had as free trial versions. If you click the watch image you can go to Flickr and read my full write up on what I did. Otherwise there are loads of tutorials out there to be had.

Last edited by Ray Hines; 06-08-2015 at 12:03 AM.
06-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I will take another stab at it. I have a couple of good subjects in mind as a matter of fact. My Sigma 28 Mini Wide is only 1:4.6 but with an extension tube it will get to 1:1 or close anyway. I also have a Sigma 28-80 with a Macro setting that might do 1:2.
06-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I followed the link in the opening post to the Focus Stacking Tutorial. One of the author's examples was a barrel cactus. Since I have a barrel cactus I decided to try the same thing. Here is the result: A composite of 7 images each with a different focal point.

06-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice, Dakight!
06-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #12

Original Poster
Success, I'd say David. Well taken and a good example of what Focus Stacking can achieve.
06-09-2015, 03:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great stuff. If it helps I have a site all about focus stacking etc - see Focus Stacking Tutorial From Start To Finish
06-09-2015, 04:18 AM   #14

Original Poster
I've got that bookmarked Johan, but it might be too extreme for me mate. Nice site though.