Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormdore Quote
I've been bamboozled! . . .
I'm sorry for your misfortune, Terri. Do as others suggested, call your credit card company and call Broadway back. Then, chalk it up to live's experiences. We've all been had at one time or another. Thanks for posting. It will serve as a warning to all of us.

06-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Man, oh man. I appreciate everyone's responses. I contacted the credit card company and they will not cancel the order (it was a debit card). I'm taking Steven's advice and will chalk it up to experience. I know that I will be a much more cautious consumer from here on out. An expensive lesson, but one well-learned!

Thanks for your support, everyone.

Terri
06-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Here's some medicine (assuming no one here has slandered said scum bags). Copy these threads into a letter and send a copy off to Broadway and your state attorney general, plus the BBB, AAA, AA and anyone else who will listen.
06-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Man, oh man. I appreciate everyone's responses. I contacted the credit card company and they will not cancel the order (it was a debit card). I'm taking Steven's advice and will chalk it up to experience. I know that I will be a much more cautious consumer from here on out. An expensive lesson, but one well-learned!

Thanks for your support, everyone.

Terri
I've been listening to Clark Howard's show, (via freely downloaded podcasts), the last few months. For those who don't know, he can best be described as a consumer advocate. His theme is, "I'm here to serve you...to help you spend less, save more, . . . and avoid getting ripped off."

He is constantly harping about the "piece of trash, fake Visa and Mastercard" debit cards. He warns his listeners that using a debit card does not have the same consumer protections as a real credit card. You learned this today, Terri. Perhaps you can consider obtaining a real credit card for future use, if you don't already have one. I know that I don't use my debit card anymore, except for emergencies. If you can't qualify for a credit card, or are still young without a credit history, consider one of those cards where you have to put an amount in the bank to guarantee the card. Then, after six months or so, it converts to a real credit card.

06-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #20

thanks for posting...i was about to order an FA 50/1.4 from prefered photo, i guess i'll stick with amazon for my order.
06-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam67 Quote
I would say that list is WAY out of date and questionable at best. Most of the "Ok" dealers on there are not good; some of the "good" one's are questionable and it's missing some "exceptional"(don't really like that term for any of them) ones like onecall & Crutchfield. Most people would classify Adorama as good (or even exceptional going by that list). IMHO all of the "exceptional" ones are good and the rest are questionable except as noted above. I would also classify Buy.com as good as well as Amazon and Ecost.
That's where feedback is important. If you know something about it you could contact the poster and I'm sure he would listen to you.

Everything is questionable on the web, but still the broadway was on the list as a bad company. If the OP had seen this he would avoid the hassle, don't you think?
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I just did some research for a purchase and found the best price at cambridgeworld.com. So I check resellerratings.com.... Out of a possible score of 10 they get 0.28. Yes, that is zero point two eight!! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

06-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
I've been listening to Clark Howard's show, (via freely downloaded podcasts), the last few months. For those who don't know, he can best be described as a consumer advocate. His theme is, "I'm here to serve you...to help you spend less, save more, . . . and avoid getting ripped off."
I'm also a fan of Clark Howard's.
While I don't use my CCs very much, that is the exact reason why I keep them around, especially when I'm buying something from a company that I haven't bought from before. If the company is reputable (like B&H or Adorama), I don't mind using my debit card, as I know that their customer service departments are reputable and will most likely work with me should their be a problem.

When I am using regular CCs, the way I avoid getting in trouble with using them is to make sure that I have the money in one of my accounts (or know that I will be getting it soon) and pay off the CC once I get the item and everything's OK. If I do have a problem, then that way, at least I know I'm not out any money at that point.

With as bad of a reputation as Broadway Photo has, I wonder how in the world they stay in business. They're so bad that Popular Photograhy refuses to accept advertising from them. I wish the other photography magazines would follow suit.

Heather
06-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Hi,
I had a similar problem with Dell computers. I ordered online and when I got the confirmation, it was different than what I had ordered! I called immediately, and they told me that it had already shipped and couldn't be cancelled!

If broadway is shipping your order with signature required for delivery, you tell the delivery person that you are refusing delivery. Then call your credit card company and dispute the charges. Broadway will be responsible for the shipping both ways and can't charge a restocking fee as you never took delivery of the product. At least thats the way it worked for me and my cc company immediatly reversed the charges.
06-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lesson learned! I will definitely use my regular credit card from now on. I like the fact that the debit card doesn't carry a "balance," and is more like using cash, but there's no sense in it if the cash is going down the drain!

I called my bank and as I said, they recommended that I return the item, refusing to sign; however, they could not recommend that I will get my money back, since they are not "in charge of the company's policy." I still think I'll send it back. After all, I'll be out $75 (that is IF they return my money!), which is less that I was "bamboozled" for.

Terri
06-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #26
Ed in GA

Lesson learned! I will definitely use my regular credit card from now on. I like the fact that the debit card doesn't carry a "balance," and is more like using cash, but there's no sense in it if the cash is going down the drain!

I called my bank and as I said, they recommended that I return the item, refusing to sign; however, they could not recommend that I will get my money back, since they are not "in charge of the company's policy." I still think I'll send it back. After all, I'll be out $75 (that is IF they return my money!), which is less that I was "bamboozled" for.

Terri

Terri,

Since BroadwayPhoto now has your money. And, since debit/check cards work differently from Credit cards, You might actually be better off to just accept and keep the item.

Best case scenario is that they receive the returned item and refund your money.

Worst case scenario is that they get the item back and don't refuned your money. With a debit/check card you do not have access to the money until the dispute is resolved. Unlike your credit card which puts the disputed amount in "Limbo" until the dispute is settled.

The last thing you want is for Broadway Photo to have your AF360 Flash AND your money as well.

Ed
06-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, if your debit card has Visa or MC logo and can be used without a pin, it should have the same or similar coverage as regular CC. I guess you are using CC priviledges only when you use the pin. I would call CC company or the issuing bank and ask them to fax you over the terms and conditions.
06-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Well, if your debit card has Visa or MC logo and can be used without a pin, it should have the same or similar coverage as regular CC. I guess you are using CC privileges only when you use the pin. I would call CC company or the issuing bank and ask them to fax you over the terms and conditions.
No, no, NO!!!! Debit cards, even in they have the Visa or MC logo do NOT have the same consumer protections as a 'real' credit card. Using a pin or not does not affect your rights as a consumer, one way or the other. You are at the mercy of the merchant and/or bank to refund you money. Think of it as 'plastic cash'. Once you spend it, it is gone!

This is one of the 'dirty little secrets' of the banking/credit card industry. And with our corrupted political system where corporate campaign contributions are more important to our legislative members than the people who vote them into office, the many attempts to create industry enforcement regulations, rules, and laws have always failed.

The only way to really protect yourself is to use a real credit card.
06-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #29
Inactive Account

This was a great eye opener when I read about Thomas Hawk and Don Wiss's story in the Times a couple of years ago. If you haven't seen this comprehensive list of scam Brooklyn camera stores or read his story follow this link to Brooklyn StoreFronts

Last edited by yetidesign; 06-13-2008 at 08:23 PM.
06-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
No, no, NO!!!! Debit cards, even in they have the Visa or MC logo do NOT have the same consumer protections as a 'real' credit card. Using a pin or not does not affect your rights as a consumer, one way or the other. You are at the mercy of the merchant and/or bank to refund you money. Think of it as 'plastic cash'. Once you spend it, it is gone!

This is one of the 'dirty little secrets' of the banking/credit card industry. And with our corrupted political system where corporate campaign contributions are more important to our legislative members than the people who vote them into office, the many attempts to create industry enforcement regulations, rules, and laws have always failed.

The only way to really protect yourself is to use a real credit card.
This is where you're wrong. If you have a Visa/MC Debit card, it is protected through the issuing bank and through Visa or MC. I had a dispute with the Camera Hunter (guy who owns a store, also runs through ebay) In which I order a filter and a hood in October and hadn't received it two months later. I called my issuing bank, and disputed the charge, told them I had attempted to contact him several times, hadn't returned my emails or calls, so they refunded me the money, and told me that if 30 days passed and they couldn't resolve the dispute, the money was mine either way, and if they got a response, their dispute center would handle it and if my claim was valid, I'd get a refund. It never went that far, claim was resolved, and I got my money back.

Broadway Photo is part of this JJ Digital Co. There is a guy who researched all of these "camera superstores" locations and found most of the registered locations to be rundown warehouses, abandoned or condemned businesses, or random houses. There are many variations on the Broadway Photo name, but they are all the same. Go to ripoff report and you'll see what I mean.

What really disgusted me was a couple months ago Pop Photo ran a story on Bait and Switch Camera shops like this. The next month rolls around, and my issue Of Shutterbug comes in. As I'm flipping through Shutterbug, I notice a two page spread ad for Broadway Photo. I contacted the advertising manager, to no avail. The ads continue to run in Shutter bug monthly. Needless to say, I've canceled my shutterbug subscription, and will be writing the editor shortly, which I encourage all of you to do as well...this place is just scamming more and more people, and now are advertising in a reputable magazine.