Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
If ISO affected the exposure, then these two settings would produce "equivalent exposures". But they don't. Setting #1 captures 4x the photons captured by #2. Since SNR due to shot noise is the sq-root of the number of photons, #1 will have 2x better Shot Noise SNR than #2. For example, if a pixel exposed using #1 captures 40,000e- (photo-electrons), it has a photonic SNR of 200:1. While in #2, there would be 10,000e- captured, with a SNR of 100:1.
This is why I'm hoping that future Pentax DSLR cameras will give us a little extra at the LOW end of the ISO scale. Forget shooting into the half-million; I'll be quite happy for my sensor to top off at the 51,200 I currently enjoy from my K-5 if they can push the low end down to fifty or even 25.

Give me that and a centre split-prism and I might even think about upgrading (especially if they un-cripple the K mount for the old M lenses).

07-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #17

In good light I mostly just stick to shooting in AV mode and set my ISO and exposure compensation accordingly with multi-segment metering. Here's an example shot set to f/8, ISO 200, -0.7 exposure compensation, and the camera giving shutter speed of 1/125. Since the dark stage filled most of the frame the camera exposed for it. Going through it in post processing I should have put in something closer to -2.0 exposure compensation. I could also have set to something like center metering, lock exposure on the banner, then recompose. First image is unprocessed, second image is post processed with -1.3 exposure, lowering of highlights, and increasing shadows.

Last edited by cgchang; 12-31-2015 at 12:17 PM.