Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

Low angle full body shot advice (urgently)

Greetings Pentax community

I have one question regarding photos in this link from digitalcameraworld

If you check it: 54 Portrait Ideas: free downloadable posing guide | Digital Camera World

there is "Shoot high and low" photos, and I have some doubts about low angle shots.

I have pentax k-3 (so aps-c sensor body) and doing some fashion studio work tomorrow.

Only thing that I want to know is about those low angle shots:

1. what lens do you think is used for low angle shots

2. more important on what height was it from ground level?

3. and do you think camera (sensor) was tilted or is it straight with the body of model?

It looks like a little wider lens and about knee levels or even slightly lower, or am I wrong?

Thank you very much!

06-19-2015, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Those were taken with a moderate wide angle

I would say about 2 - 3 feet

3. and do you think camera (sensor) was tilted or is it straight with the body of model?

Of the examples on the link, some were with the camera almost level and somewhat higher off the ground. Others had the camera tilted up.

---------------------------------------------

Probably the easiest way to check this out is to experiment with a coat rack or something similar.

Steve
06-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Those were taken with a moderate wide angle

I would say about 2 - 3 feet

Of the examples on the link, some were with the camera almost level and somewhat higher off the ground. Others had the camera tilted up.

---------------------------------------------

Probably the easiest way to check this out is to experiment with a coat rack or something similar.

Steve
thank you for very fast reply

unfortunately my studio is no very close to me (and that's very unfortunate thing) but experimenting with fashion store dolls or coat racks would be great

I have sigma 10-20 (maybe at 20mm) so it "works like 30mm" on my k-3

have 50M 1.7 and 55-300 and kit 18-55. I think sigma at 20 can work this out. Don't really want to use kit 18-55.

2-3 feet is even more then I have guessed but i think you are probably right about that one.

thanks again!
06-19-2015, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very important , the model should be as close as possible to being parallel with the sensor /film to avoi keystone effect. If you are on the floor shooting up the model need to lean forward slightly to compensate,
It looks weird but does not on the image

06-20-2015, 12:39 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panicAttack Quote

I have sigma 10-20 (maybe at 20mm)
That's pretty wide, panicAttack.

It might be great for lengthening legs, or it might be result in a look you"re trying to avoid.
06-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Very important , the model should be as close as possible to being parallel with the sensor /film to avoi keystone effect. If you are on the floor shooting up the model need to lean forward slightly to compensate,
It looks weird but does not on the image
Did you checked those photos in the link?

To me it looks like they have that effect, but I will try to be as possible parallel in terms of model body/sensor.

---------- Post added 06-20-15 at 01:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's pretty wide, panicAttack.

It might be great for lengthening legs, or it might be result in a look you"re trying to avoid.
What would you recommend?

Maybe 18-55 on 24-30 range closed down isn't that bad...
06-20-2015, 03:24 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panicAttack Quote

Maybe 18-55 on 24-30 range closed down isn't that bad...
In most of the shots, only the legs are lengthened because the distorted left, top and right sides of the frame are empty, so the results end up flattering to the model.

These are not done with available light so your kit lens stopped down to f8 and on a tripod shooting at 1/180s should be fine!

06-20-2015, 04:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In most of the shots, only the legs are lengthened because the distorted left, top and right sides of the frame are empty, so the results end up flattering to the model.

These are not done with available light so your kit lens stopped down to f8 and on a tripod shooting at 1/180s should be fine!
thank you for advices.

Yes I also do it with studio strobes so light would not be problem

will try with 24-30 mm on my 18-55 closed down at f8-f11

maybe some extreme samples with 10-20 sigma at 20 just to see that's going on with that.

And series of usual full length straight shots with M50 1.7 also stopped down and in the height of camera about waist level (works good for me) sensor parallel to model body.

I do have lots of room so can take full body with 50mm