Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
lens cleaning

Hello,

This is probably a typical beginner's question but what is the best way to clean a lens?

Thanks

06-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Inactive Account

"Lenspen" works great.

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

c[_]
06-13-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can find some answers here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/26780-how-do-y...your-lens.html
06-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your help !!

06-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #5

I read the other thread on cleaning; not comfortable with some of what is posted there for me personally.

I've had a Lenspen for probably longer than a decade now, but I don't use it on high quality lenses. I can't get away from the thought that the pad is liable to pick up minute dust particles and whatnot - and then I'm going to scrub it back and forth across my lens? Not me... My Lenspen is limited to emergency use on riflescopes. Just not comfortable with using it on a lens.

As for the suggestions on various solvents, directly out of the operating manual for my new Pentax lens, page 2, point 4.: "Never use any organic solvent such as thinner, alcohol, or benzine, etc. to remove dust on the lens". That would seem to rule out most of the solutions recommended on the other thread.

My approach has been to remove as much as possible with a blower brush that touches nothing but lenses. After that, I use lens cleaning tissues - I have a packet of Zeiss tissues that I bought over 20 years ago, I've still got a few left in that pack. Rip one in half, very lightly wad it up and see if whatever on lens will move. If it does not, I don't scrub harder, I just haze the lens up good with my breath and then try again. If it still doesn't move, then it's time to put a few drops of distilled water on one corner of the crumpled up lens tissue and lightly start working on whatever is clinging to the lens. Takes a bit of time, but my lenses don't need the lens cleaner sheets very often. I'm actually tempted to write Pentax and ask them what they recommend for a lens cleaner that complies with the guidelines in their manual, because I've been thinking of using my sensor cleaning fluid to do the lenses.

Up to that point, nothing but distilled water and lens cleaning tissues touch my lenses for cleaning
06-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I could not live without Isopropyl-alcohol 70% and distilled water 30%. I get it from pharmaceutical production in a good quality.

Interestingly, I've found a source stating there's differing qualities in the US compared to Europe:

"Isopropyl alcohol is produced by combining water and propylene.[3] There are two processes for achieving this: indirect hydration via the sulfuric acid process and direct hydration. The former process, which can use low quality propylene, predominates in the USA while the latter process, which requires high-purity propylene, is more commonly used in Europe."
(from: Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I wonder why Pentax claims this stuff not to be appropriate for its lenses. With it, I use cotton swabs of all sorts, just make sure they do not contain any 'aloe vera' oil or any other grease. I finish with breath and the swabs, doing this for all any sort of lenses and the sensor (K100D) as well.

The Canon DSLR'S are said to have production batches were the sensor starts to delaminate after wetcleaning, shock horror!

Georg