Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you use back-button AF?
Yes, I use back-button AF 13780.59%
No, I don't use back-button AF 3319.41%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 05:26 AM   #61
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
your own whirrr-click
Oooooh I think I want one that does that... I obviously missing out at the moment then.

06-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
The only time I've found back button focus a pain was recently when trying out a battery grip on my Pentax K-5ii. That was annoying. I kept hitting the green button. It took a few days of shooting to overcome though.

BBF sure makes shooting action easier. I just put my auto focus red square in the top right or left third of the screen, keep the targets face in focus via BBF and press the shutter as needed. With half shutter press, I'd not get as high of a hit rate as I do now.

To the half shutter press folks, try BBF if you want. It may or not work for you. It's worked for me and I'm happier for it.
06-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After selecting Back-button AF. I can't seems to change my focus point as it's selecting my default central point....coming from K-S1. Not sure if it's a norm?
06-30-2015, 06:06 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I rarely use anything but AF-S, so I have not seen much advantage of switching to "thumb focus".
But I have set the AF button to disable AF, for quick disabling of AF, or quick switch to manual focus on quick shift lenses.

---------- Post added 30-06-15 at 15:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Most of my pictures involve a routine; I want my exposure set by 'this' part of the scene, and the focus on this 'other' part. Just like the manual days, I use single center focus point (after all, one can only focus on one point no matter how many we have). Light meter is center or spot. So, first I hit BB focus, then AE button, then if necessary, recompose and shoot.
If I want to do like this i usually use manual mode and use green button for metering. Then I can choose when to meter with a press of the green button, and I don't have to meter for every shot.

07-01-2015, 02:22 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I found it a bit fiddly with my K-5 bodies, but Ricoh/Pentax really got the button placement right with the K-3.

Same experience here. I never got on good terms with the AF-button on my K-5, constantly hitting everything else but that button.

But on the K-3 it is positioned just perfectly for me. As for AF.S and CIF I have then reserved one of the User Modes for that purpose.
07-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #66
mee
Veteran Member

While the thought was interesting to me, and I can see the advantages in certain situations, Back button AF on my K-5II was the worst thing I've tried photographically. Really really really awful setup for me.

But one doesn't know that until they try. I just hard reset my camera back to defaults I was so frustrated with it. It was bad. haha
07-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #67
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
While the thought was interesting to me, and I can see the advantages in certain situations, Back button AF on my K-5II was the worst thing I've tried photographically. Really really really awful setup for me.

But one doesn't know that until they try. I just hard reset my camera back to defaults I was so frustrated with it. It was bad. haha
As a perl programmer would put it:

There's more than one way to do it!

07-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I absolutely love this method. And even the newbies I've handed my camera to and explained it have said how they instantly felt it was a much better way of doing things than the half button press method everyone knows.

I pretty much only shoot with my D810 now. But setting this up was the first thing I did with that. With it, I now use the 3D focus tracking system where I use the centre focus point, lock focus and then recompose. This allows me to take multiple shots without losing focus lock on my subject or needing to recompose. Where the half press method, I would have to recompose every time. I know the K-3 has a similar setting but it is nowhere near as effective due to less focus points (K-3's 27 v D810's 51). Hopefully the FF has considerably more focus points.