Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Equipment for landscape

I'm still putting my K20d kit together for landscape work. In addition to filters and tripods, what accessories do you landscape folks use most frequently and why - i.e. remote trigger, L bracket, panoramic bracket, battery grip? Thanks.

06-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Don Boyd Quote
I'm still putting my K20d kit together for landscape work. In addition to filters and tripods, what accessories do you landscape folks use most frequently and why - i.e. remote trigger, L bracket, panoramic bracket, battery grip? Thanks.
-30 Gig of SD
-High end Neutral Density Filters, 4X, 8X and NDX400 (9 stops and $$$).
-Circular Polarizer with the most multicoating you can get. $$$
-A hotshoe bubble level... Trust me it is a must for securing a straight horizon line when mother natures curves are faking you out.
-Pano head... if you are into really BIG panos.

And whenever I am going into remote areas I always have survival kit in case I get injured, consisting of waterproof matches, magnesium flint and knife and a mummy style space blanket and a headlamp (which I have ended up using many, many times because I push the limits of the terrain well into the night too often) and handwarmers. And plenty of water and granola bars.

One thing I have been a recent convert to is carbon fiber tripods. Gitzo 6X's, while expensive are so light and impressively strong and well built that you will probably never have to buy another tripod ever.

Stephen
06-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
-30 Gig of SD
-High end Neutral Density Filters, 4X, 8X and NDX400 (9 stops and $$$).
-Circular Polarizer with the most multicoating you can get. $$$
-A hotshoe bubble level... Trust me it is a must for securing a straight horizon line when mother natures curves are faking you out.
-Pano head... if you are into really BIG panos.

And whenever I am going into remote areas I always have survival kit in case I get injured, consisting of waterproof matches, magnesium flint and knife and a mummy style space blanket and a headlamp (which I have ended up using many, many times because I push the limits of the terrain well into the night too often) and handwarmers. And plenty of water and granola bars.

One thing I have been a recent convert to is carbon fiber tripods. Gitzo 6X's, while expensive are so light and impressively strong and well built that you will probably never have to buy another tripod ever.

Stephen
Add a compass or GPS unit to Stephen's excellent list.
06-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Stephen: which ND filters do you use? The Multicoated ones seem to top out at 3 stops...

Don: I'd also suggest lens cleaner/blower.

06-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, there isn't anything left for me to add on.
Hold on, maybe an apple to make your waiting for THAT moment shorter
06-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Stephen et al. I have most of the stuff you've mentioned from my 4x5 view camera stuff - singh-ray grad. NDs, tiffen polarizer, and 812 filter that all mount in my Lee 4x6 system. Here are a few specific questions:
How important is using a shutter release cable or do most of you just use the 2 second delay on the camera?
Is the L bracket worth the extra cost or do you find it just as easy to tilt your ballhead 90 degrees?
Does the B-whatever grip do anything more than add weight, hold an extra battery and make the camera a little easier to hold?
Do any of these things make you write better poetry, see with more truth and extend the golden hour?
Well, at least some of these are serious questions.