Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K3 - Sharp focus on the eye

Can you zoom right in to make sure the eye is in sharp focus before you take a shot on the K3? I am sure I read how to do this a while ago, but I can't find it now.
In live view, I want to zoom in and check that the eye is pin sharp. I am shooting with a Sigma 17-70 lens and the eyes seem very soft. How do I make sure that the focus is on the eye and not some other part of the body. I am moving the square to the eye, but it is still not sharp.
Sorry for my basic explanation, but that my best way to describe it!
Thanks.

07-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Press the OK button to zoom into 100%. It will zoom into the focus square location.If you are in the mode where you are moving the focus square, press the bottom right button first to get out of this mode, then the OK button.
07-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few questions come to mind.
Are you using spot focus?
Are you shooting hand held, and do you have shake reduction on?
Are you using an f-stop that gives a suitable depth of field?
What shutter speed?
Have you tested whether your lens front or back focusses?
Out of that lot we might get some idea of why you aren't getting the result you want.

Cheers,
Terry
07-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In live view press the OK button and you can use the rear dial to zoom in/out as much as you want.

07-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Press the OK button to zoom into 100%. It will zoom into the focus square location.If you are in the mode where you are moving the focus square, press the bottom right button first to get out of this mode, then the OK button.
thanks for that, that is what I was after. But is there a way to leave it at that zoom to refocus?

---------- Post added 07-17-15 at 02:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
A few questions come to mind.
Are you using spot focus?
Are you shooting hand held, and do you have shake reduction on?
Are you using an f-stop that gives a suitable depth of field?
What shutter speed?
Have you tested whether your lens front or back focusses?
Out of that lot we might get some idea of why you aren't getting the result you want.

Cheers,
Terry
I am using centre weighted.
I am using a tripod.
The f-stop was 4.5
shutter speed was 1.6
I think some of these may be the problem.
How do I know if my lens front or back focuses? And what exactly does that mean?
Thanks for your help with this.
07-17-2015, 02:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shellz19 Quote
shutter speed was 1.6
? what do you mean by that? 1.6s or 1/6?
this could be the cause of your problem.

To take a sharp handheld picture a rule of thumb is to have a shutter speed not slower than 1/focal length. e.g. @ 70mm you need a shutter speed of at least 1/70 to get a sharp handheld picture.
with the SR on you can lower that value...

but in your case of a portraiture you want a shutter speed of about 1/125 to freeze the natural eye movements. even when on the tripod.

i usually use the center point and move the camera as desired to frame... but on the tripod you can just move the af point to the desired position and take your image... you can move the AF point... read the manual...

On the other hand if you want to decide on what is in focus you should consider manual as this will give you the ultimate control. and it works really well with the K3s live view with focus peaking...
The AF is doing some guesswork to achieve the focus but it will never know what you want.... AF works best on contrasty things

Last edited by max_pyne; 07-17-2015 at 02:22 AM.
07-17-2015, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do I know if my lens front or back focuses? And what exactly does that mean?
Have a look here Squit Photo
it might help.

Cheers,
Terry

07-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 07-17-15 at 02:30 PM -------

Thanks for your help with this.

Usually you will have to fine tune AF for each lens on your camera body. The tool suggested looks great and rather easy to make.

You may also read this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/61385-auto...t-hints-2.html
07-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am using a tripod.
Did you turn off SR? If not, you should. SR can cause blurriness if camera on tripod.
07-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

is the whole thing out of focus or is it just in focus somewhere else? could it possibly be a setting like noise reduction? I think there is a low shutter speed and high iso options that are really strong. you can zoom in but I don't find it to be helpful because I cant see detail very well, I need to wear readers so that is my problem. you could try live view with focus highlighting to check your focus.
07-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
shutter speed was 1.6
I think some of these may be the problem.
With a tripod, that shutter speed is fine for an inanimate subject.

For people - they move, even when you ask them not to.

Bump it up to at least 1/60s.

Not for camera shake, but for motion blur.

Last edited by clackers; 07-27-2015 at 02:55 PM.
07-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

you can try to use your flash, even with the slow shutter speed, the flash will freeze the motion. If it's still not sharp then it's time to check the focus ^^
07-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Can you zoom right in to make sure the eye is in sharp focus before you take a shot on the K3? I am sure I read how to do this a while ago, but I can't find it now.
In live view, I want to zoom in and check that the eye is pin sharp. I am shooting with a Sigma 17-70 lens and the eyes seem very soft. How do I make sure that the focus is on the eye and not some other part of the body. I am moving the square to the eye, but it is still not sharp.
Sorry for my basic explanation, but that my best way to describe it!
Thanks.
Sound to me that your inexperience might be a barrier to understanding a lot of this.

First thing
Is there anything that is sharp in the photo?