Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #16
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Anybody that anti pentax and anti loyal pentax users who appreciate backwards compatibility must be a canikon owner. Oh well, what can you expect from someone who comes from a state where bigger is better.
I was referring to the turncoats that drop Pentax for Canikon.

Never owned a Canikon in my life. I did use an almost new Canon FTBn (belonged to the school) when I was in high school. Hate tennis so I never paid attention to their AF bodies. Looked at Nikons but the cost benefit ratio just wasn't there for me, at least when compared to Pentax. I've stayed a K-mount user (not always Pentax) since I switched from M42 in the early 80's.

BTW, I did have a pet Jackalope once......

06-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #17

Old lenses, assuming they're still in good condition, are a manual focus user's dream. My very first lens was an M 50/1.7 that is still among my most favored for both IQ and sentimentality. Don't get me wrong, manual focusing with a Limited is real nice, but nothing beats the silky firm smoothness of those older lenses.

When you get your hands on them, check them out on Stan's Pentax Photography.
06-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Picked up the lenses. Any good?

Sigma 35-70mm
Makinon 28mm
Pentax 1:1.2/50
Vivitar 80-200mm
Vivitar 2x Telephoto
06-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bubbabob Quote
Picked up the lenses. Any good?

Is that a 50mm 1:2 or a 50mm 1:1.2??? If it's an 1:2 it's an ok lens and is very common, if it's an 1:1.2 it's a rare gem!

Pat

06-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Does it look anything like that? That is a very rare lens. And pricey. And definitely worth keeping!
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
The other posts are disinformation designed to confuse you. Look where the posts are from: Romania (damn commies... well they used to be), Canada (damn liberals), and Minnesota (damn yankess that might as well be Canadians).

But they are all (mostly) loyal Pentax users so they can be forgiven much.

Don't worry, I'm honest enough that if you had believed me I wouldn't have taken ALL the lenses....
Waiting for you to chime in here on that 50/1.2
06-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #22
Inactive Account

As for the under water case, Ill need a hard case capable of diving with. If I can't find one I may not buy a body, as underwater photography is mainly what Im after.
I, too, am a scuba diver, and, sadly, Pentax have only ONE proper housing available, sadly.

It's a sad reflection on how seriously Pentax is taken by everyone. You'll find a dozen housings for the Nikon D40x, none for the K20D.

Fantasea, Ikelite, Subal, et al, don't make any at all.

The "plastic bag" types are useless below a fathom, as water pressure simply crushes all the buttons at once - remember, at that depth, you've probably got nearly a metric ton of pressure on the camera.

The Pentax housings were made by some guys called UK-Germany, google around for info as their website is down. I think the *istDS version cost something like $3000.

06-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Lithos, Ive been looking at the UK-Germany housings. Hopefully the dollar will eventually rise against the Euro. That'd lower the case from around $3k to $2.5K if the Euro falls to the one year ago mark. About the same price for a well made CanNikon case from one of the big boys.

Yes, it's a 1:1.2/50. What makes this lens so special?

Some dolt left the camera body cover off. Now that a decades worth of dust has been removed, this old fully manual film cameras pretty fun to work with. I can't wait to see how well the pictures come out tomorrow.
06-22-2008, 03:33 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Special? So special? You're in an elite group of people, my friend, who own the fastest lens Pentax ever made .

It's a bloody great lens if you can find it. Since you have, enjoy it, either by taking photos through it or putting it in a sock and beating your enemies with it, because, man, is it one solid hunk of glass. Feels like it means business.

It's seven elements, six groups (that's one louder than the f1.4, innit,) either eight or night aperture blades depending if it's a K or an A model, respectively. You can tell simply by looking at the label on the front of the lens - inside the filter ring, it's a K, outside, an A. Also, this is where the phrase "SMC PENTAX-A" will be written - there'll be no letter after the "PENTAX" on any K lens.

For such a fast lens, what little there is in focus is sharp, and when stopped down it's amazing. It was a real pro-aimed lens, back in the day, and there're times when I wish Pentax made the f1.2 into an autofocus lens like they did with the f1.4.
06-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #25

I'm using 'M' series lens on my K20D. My favourite is a 50mm 1.7 and it beats hell out of the newer plastic junk for IQ.
I've also downloaded PhotoME (freeware) and it allows you to edit the EXIF data to include the 'f' stop used plus the focal length used.
06-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Mark Dimalanta is a professional surf photographer and he has a case for his K10D (and I'm assuming it fits his K20D). You can see his blog here. He's a very friendly guy. You can email him and I'm sure he'll reply eventually (he's often travelling around Asia surfing and photographing same).
06-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Yes, it's a 1:1.2/50. What makes this lens so special?
Wow! You had a f50/1.2 fall into your lap! What luck! If it is in reasonable condition it is well worth keeping and cherishing. By reputation it is as good as the best ever made by any manufacturer (yes, as good as Zeiss or Leitz). Rare too and very valuable. Enjoy it and post the pictures once you get a chance to use it.
06-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks rfortson, ill shoot him an email.

I found a K10d at a Wolf,Ritz,&Titz. Display model, body only, for $650. Good deal?
06-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks rfortson, ill shoot him an email.

I found a K10d at a Wolf,Ritz,&Titz. Display model, body only, for $650. Good deal?
i would haggle for 500 flat, for 650 you can find places to purchase a brand new K200D.