Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Old Pentax Lenses + New DSLR

Ive got a 30 year old Pentax KM and 4-5 or so lenses. This was given to me a while back and Ive never used it. Also, it's important to note Im a state away from the camera so I do NOT have it right infront of me.

What are the chances that these lenses are still good/usable?

Could I use these lenses on a new Pentax DSLR?

Thank You!

06-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I use all my old fixed focal length lenses on my new k100. As long as they are the bayonet style mount, they should be fine, although some features may not be compatable ie: auto focus etc.
06-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes you can. In fact there is a whole thread of pictures from users who own and use "M" lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27739-m-club.html
06-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax' current lineup of Digital SLR cameras are fully compatible with every Pentax lens ever produced. You might need a simple adaptor for some of them (Takumars and 645/67 lenses); but I doubt you have any need for those.

06-16-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bubbabob Quote
Ive got a 30 year old Pentax KM and 4-5 or so lenses. This was given to me a while back and Ive never used it. Also, it's important to note Im a state away from the camera so I do NOT have it right infront of me.

Thank You!
The beautiful thing about Pentax, and the reason many of us chose Pentax over some other brand, is that without knowing anything about the lenses you're talking about we can with complete confidence assure you that the chances are 100% that the lenses can be used on a new Pentax DSLR.

What condition they're in after sitting unused for so long is a different matter. They may be perfectly fine. Or they may not. But if they're in usable condition, you can use them on a new Pentax DSLR. Rest easy about that.

When I loaded up my camera bag to go to work this morning, I put in a digital K100D (from 2007) and a film ESII (from 1973). Despite using different lens mounts, thanks to an adapter they're sharing lenses....from the 1960s.
06-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They will never work right and the old film camera is a piece of junk too. I give you $10 + shipping because I'm feeling generous......
06-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
They will never work right and the old film camera is a piece of junk too. I give you $10 + shipping because I'm feeling generous......
LoL! About 5 posts too late or you might have had me.

Thanks for the info yall! Do any of yall sleep?

On a side note, anybody know of a source for an Underwater housing for any of the Pentax DSLRs?

06-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For an underwater housing at a very reasonable price, check this out:
Aquapac - 100% Waterproof Cases - USA

I haven't used it; this company's small point-and-shoot housing was mentioned in Outdoor Photography and the price was so reasonable, I had to go check out the website.

If you're looking for a hard UW case, I don't know of anybody who produces one for Pentax, specifically. If anybody does, I know those things are quite expensive.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be going crazy not knowing what those lenses are.

Have you given any thought as to which body you'd like to get for those lenses yet?

Heather
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info yall! Do any of yall sleep?
This being the world wide web, you've had replies from North America, Europe, and Asia. There's always somebody posting something around here.
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
For an underwater housing at a very reasonable price, check this out:
Aquapac - 100% Waterproof Cases - USA

I haven't used it; this company's small point-and-shoot housing was mentioned in Outdoor Photography and the price was so reasonable, I had to go check out the website.

If you're looking for a hard UW case, I don't know of anybody who produces one for Pentax, specifically. If anybody does, I know those things are quite expensive.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be going crazy not knowing what those lenses are.

Have you given any thought as to which body you'd like to get for those lenses yet?

Heather

Yep, It's irritating not having the lenses with me. Itll be two weeks untill I can get to them...

As for the under water case, Ill need a hard case capable of diving with. If I can't find one I may not buy a body, as underwater photography is mainly what Im after.

QuoteQuote:
This being the world wide web, you've had replies from North America, Europe, and Asia. There's always somebody posting something around here.

Translation: 24/7 Tech Support
06-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LoL! About 5 posts too late or you might have had me.
The other posts are disinformation designed to confuse you. Look where the posts are from: Romania (damn commies... well they used to be), Canada (damn liberals), and Minnesota (damn yankess that might as well be Canadians).

But they are all (mostly) loyal Pentax users so they can be forgiven much.

Don't worry, I'm honest enough that if you had believed me I wouldn't have taken ALL the lenses....
06-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Commies, Yankees, and G-d forbid Canadians! What kind of forum is this??!1
06-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other posts are disinformation designed to confuse you. Look where the posts are from: Romania (damn commies... well they used to be), Canada (damn liberals), and Minnesota (damn yankess that might as well be Canadians).

Don't worry, I'm honest enough that if you had believed me I wouldn't have taken ALL the lenses....
Anybody that anti pentax and anti loyal pentax users who appreciate backwards compatibility must be a canikon owner. Oh well, what can you expect from someone who comes from a state where bigger is better.
06-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Worse yet... I was born and raised in California.... no telling what liberal yankee, tree hugging, low carbon footprint agenda I might be pushing
06-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Worse yet... I was born and raised in California.... no telling what liberal yankee, tree hugging, low carbon footprint agenda I might be pushing
We won't ask any questions about marriage.

CW