Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #1

Extension Tubes-No Auto Focus

I'm thinking about buying a set of extension tubes. I notice that most of the eBay sales have sets that will not allow auto focusing. I'm wondering if most people who do close-up/macro photography preferr to manual focus or rely on the cameras auto focus?

06-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax4ever Quote
I'm thinking about buying a set of extension tubes. I notice that most of the eBay sales have sets that will not allow auto focusing. I'm wondering if most people who do close-up/macro photography preferr to manual focus or rely on the cameras auto focus?
I expect most use manual focus. I know I prefer it.
06-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

I do prefer to use manual focus on macro work but then again, I use a big bellows set and a rathe rcumbersome tripod too.
06-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #4

Extension tubes

I have some experience working with extension tubes. I have a set of Fotodiox and use a M50mmF2 with tripod. Here are some random thoughts:

-When using the extension tubes, a tripod is a must. Very little can be shot handheld.

-Manual focus, from reviewing other posters responses (to this and other similar queries), seems to be the preferred method for shooting macro. That includes AF lenses (DFA 100mm, Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm, etc.).

-For a beginners entry into macro shooting, get a cheap and fast lens and tubes.

-Focus at the widest aperature to allow enough light to focus on the subject. Stop down as far as possible to increase the depth of field - again, use a tripod.

-If possible, use a remote trigger or 2 second timer with SR off.

-If shooting outdoors, wind sucks.

-Find a good set of focus rails to prevent having to move the tripod to and fro in all efforts to focus.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask any other questions if they crop up.

06-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

MF 100% of the time.
06-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Make sure you get ones with a mechanical apature linkage. Some are just tubes and therefore you are going to have to stop the lens down and focusing will be very difficult.
06-17-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Man, I'm glad I didn't read this thread before I stopped off today and took some handheld, manual focus, manual stop down macro shots.....with a Takumar, no less.

Pentax K100D and SMC Takumar 50/1.4 @ f8

And especially on Sunday when I couldn't wait to try out my 1960 plain-jane tubes on a Spotmatic ESII:

Pentax Spotmatic ESII and Super Takumar 200/4

Pentax Spotmatic ESII and S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

Last edited by Mike Cash; 06-18-2008 at 03:09 AM. Reason: tag error
06-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Make sure you get ones with a mechanical apature linkage. Some are just tubes and therefore you are going to have to stop the lens down and focusing will be very difficult.
Given that even MF tubes with a mechanical linkage are difficult if not impossible to obtain nowadays, and are typically 10x the price of the el cheapo Fotodiox tubes - It's worth the hassle of manually stopping down when you're getting started. If you really like macro you can upgrade later and you're only out $15 or so.
06-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
I see you have a Vivitar AT-22 extension tube set in your arsenal. How does it perform? I assume it has the mechanical apature linkage?
06-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Kenko Unitube Plus, has the contacts for both auto aperture (a useful item IMHO) and auto focus, (which is not). They can occasionally be found on eek bay. To more fully answer your question, I always use manual focus, what is left oof is almost as important as what is tack sharp, and manual focus allows me that leeway. I've found a tripod necessary if you hook up an ext tube with a macro lens, but not as important if you are using a normal lens. Yes the DOF is thin, but it can be managed if you have steady hands and good technique.

NaCl(manual focus, yes. Auto aperture? helpful but not necessary)H2O
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a set of "AT-22 Vivitar Automatic Extension Tube"s, 35/20/12mm.

I purchased them some 30 years ago

Do you mean those are STILL the thing to use?
06-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I have a set of "AT-22 Vivitar Automatic Extension Tube"s, 35/20/12mm.

I purchased them some 30 years ago

Do you mean those are STILL the thing to use?
Yes, until you can get a real macro lens, and then you still use them to get even closer. My M 100/4 macro needs the 50mm tube to get to 1 to 1.
06-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. You have been a great help.