Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Waist-level shooting

My question is for owners of the K-S2 or other DSLR with articulating screen: How easy/practical is it to compose at waist-level using live view? Does it depend on general lighting conditions?

I ask because I find that mode very useful (shooting blind) for street photography, firstly to not look like you're taking a picture, but also because of the lower viewpoint that I find very attractive in old TLR photos of street scenes.

If this is viable, would it be useful to have some sort of "hood" to clip onto the screen to reduce stray light?

08-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Yep! just get the hood to clip onto the screen
08-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I own it, and I would say the K-S2 design is not really conducive, since the screen has to flip to the side before you can turn it facing up. If you can make it look natural, then go for it! Focus peaking does make it easy.

The style of the MX-1's articulated screen, for example, is better suited and I've used that camera discreetly in the way you describe.
08-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I own it, and I would say the K-S2 design is not really conducive, since the screen has to flip to the side before you can turn it facing up. If you can make it look natural, then go for it! Focus peaking does make it easy.

The style of the MX-1's articulated screen, for example, is better suited and I've used that camera discreetly in the way you describe.
What she said . I love my K-S2 but for this kind of shooting (which i really don't do) i would go with my Samsung.

08-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I miss the LX... sigh.
08-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I generally find the most discreet method of waist-level shooting with a wifi-enabled camera is to use a smart phone to compose and shoot, which has the advantage of being unattached to the camera and allowing you to blend in with the many other people bent over their phones as they wander around. It takes some practice to use your body, rather than your hands to align the camera, but that's no different to any other technique development. In fact, I find this method even preferable in some ways to using the hinged LCD on my little X30, because it's still obvious that you're taking a photo if you've got your hands on the camera.
08-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I generally find the most discreet method of waist-level shooting with a wifi-enabled camera is to use a smart phone to compose and shoot, which has the advantage of being unattached to the camera and allowing you to blend in with the many other people bent over their phones as they wander around. It takes some practice to use your body, rather than your hands to align the camera, but that's no different to any other technique development. In fact, I find this method even preferable in some ways to using the hinged LCD on my little X30, because it's still obvious that you're taking a photo if you've got your hands on the camera.
This is awesome. I may just need a FluCard for my K-3!

08-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote

Totally agree. I use the articulated screen for shooting more stable video while cradling my GH4 at waist level. The screen sticks out to the left of both hands, which is awkward, and a bit ironic since it is a touch screen (maybe okay if you have a prehensile tail?). I find the tilt screen on the MX-1 to be more robust and convenient overall.

With either camera though, shooting from the waist is definitely more discreet than holding the camera out in front of you, or holding it up to your eye.

Regarding sun glare, I haven't personally found the need to use a shade on any of my cameras' screens.
08-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great idea about the smartphone!
08-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

And the KS2 is perfect for that! The wifi shooting works pretty well.
08-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the KS2, but my point-and-shoot has an articulating screen and it's great for candid street photography !
08-07-2015, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Actually the best way to shoot waist level is to use a 24mm or wider lens, set at f8 and hyperfocal, and shoot sight unseen, just like in the old film days That is how this came out.

08-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #13

I shot the following using the DA15 on my K3 blind at waist level. Set f/8 and shoot away. With the wide 15mm and the resolution of the K3 cropping to recompose is no hassle. The thing I find about using the screen in live view, particularly on very sunny days and wearing sun glasses, is it's really hard to see what's on the screen.