Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

'Lightroom' question.

I am now evaluating three trial version programs: Lightroom, SilkyPix & Bibble Pro. I am liking something about all of them, but there is something about 'Lightroom' that I wished to pose a question on. I noticed that the adjustment sliders, in that program, does not have the same fluid movement as those in the other two mentioned programs. Its sliders (Lightroom) are jumpy, and cannot be slightly edged in one direction, or the other. Numerical values can, of course, be entered in - but I prefer working with the sliders. Has anyone else noticed such a situation with those sliders?

With that matter being (possibly) rectified, I'd have to say that it might not be as easy as I thought - making a decision betwixt the three above. One minor problem with Bibble Pro is the interface - or, better to say, its color. I wish that is had the blackness of the other two. I tend to spend a LOT of time at the computer, with my photos now, and the dark screen just seems to make for easier viewing.

02-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You can pull out the drawer for finer controls.
02-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Nathan,
I tried silkypix for the two week trial and really liked it, then tried lightroom and really like how easy it to use with all the tools in one place. If you want to bump the sliders you can tap the four way arrow keys (l&r) and also drag the edge of the toolbar to the left to make the sliders a little wider. I heard the beta version is going to be over soon, I guess I'll have to pay for something soon (or keep using my wifes paint shop pro 7).
good luck,
tom b.
02-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I agree that the sliders can be jumpy but borno has it right, pull the drawer to widen them for better control. However, in the v1.0 release there is a tool for many adjustments called the Targeted Adjustment Tool (TAT). It allows you to click on the colour or area you want to adjust and drag up or down. It can be more precise as generally more than one colour is involved but we may not be able to perceive it.

BTW: v1. is released Feb 19. and 2 weeks later the beta will expire, but you can download a 30day trial to evaluate the release. It will cost US$199.00 til April 30, then price goes up to US$299.00. Edu pricing is US$99.00

I LOVE Lightroom

02-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone.

I've just returned home, and (since gaining this info from you all) I am going to play around with Lightroom a little more. It seems to be pretty 'well-heeled', and it could (very likely) be the one that I end up with.

My wife is going back to school, but I wish that it was to be sooner than the projected time. If I do, indeed, settle on Lightroom - it would behoove me to take advantage of that offer period. The educational discount, after the offer's expiration, would probably translate into my getting it, then, for $200 - which is what I would be paying for it now (after its release).

I'll just play it by ear, and see what happens.