Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Advice......wedding?!

Hey all,

I've done one other wedding in my life and it turned out pretty well. The couple was pleased with the results. I'm due to do another wedding this september. What do you folks recomend I charge them for the day....not including the cost of prints. I know it's a tough call since I have nothing to show you, but humor me.

justin

06-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Check the local web (Yahoo Local or similar) for photograhers in your area and see what they charge. At least you'll know if you're undercharging or overcharging.

Good luck. I wouldn't have the nerve to do a wedding.
06-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

what are they getting for what you will be charging them?
06-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Both posts bring up important points. Also make sure you have a good contract, very important especially for those of us with very few weddings under the belt.
Some things to consider are.....Are you charging for prints after the fact or charging a "creative fee" and just giving them a DVD with reproduction rights? How long are you shooting on the actual day, etc. All of this should be hashed out before you decide on what to charge. Take a look at the packages of some local photographers and go from there.

While were at it....do you want a second shooter? haha. Seriously though I'm in Albany, and just did my first wedding 2 weeks ago. PM me if you are interested, Pentaxians Unite!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/29497-my-first-wedding-l...ures-15-a.html

06-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My Creative Fee is $500, which is very low for my area. I am, however, a new small business.

on top of that my packages range from $494 to $1700.

So, judging by your question, you are asking about the fee for just showing up and shooting for the entire wedding day. What you should charge is a fee that reflects your status amongst photographers while not hurting the market.

For instance. If, in your area, the average creative fee for a wedding is around $1000, try to put the price up in the ballpark, and stay only as high as your reputation can stand.

That is why I'm only at five hundred: I haven't established my rep yet.

Put it this way, if you charge as little as $100, you may as well forget it and go flip burgers.

If you charge $1000, make sure you are going to deliver a quality package.

For my last client, I am taking a chunk of my creative fee and delivering a nice 16x20 Canvas of the [beautiful] sunset of their wedding night, and I'm upgrading the album in size and going from softcover to hardcover with a dustjacket.

You can charge a nice chunk of change, but make sure the value of the package is worth paying for.

Mitch
06-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #6

Advice .... Wedding

Easy .... DONT!!

The bigest cause of divorce is marriage!!

Bill - not at all a bitter divorce.
06-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #7

Seriously though, I have done a couple of weddings but not as the main shooter.

In the UK there seems to be a very strict order of shots and I have seen relatives getting very stroppy if they feel that the correct shots are not happening. It is a special course for photogs over here.

I have done the 'informal' shots, the life behind the wedding if you like and the best compliment I had was one couple, who I met years later, said they got my shots out to look at, not the official ones.

My advice would be to have a helper / second shooter there and have a script of the 'standard' shots to get through.

Your number 2 can help getting the relies all sorted out ( a sheep dog is good for this but avoid paw prints in the brides dress) and then look around at the off-camera action to get some informal snap shots while you do your thing.

There informal shots could be in the main album or offered as an add on, or even just loaded onto a selling web site for guests to log onto and buy for themselves.

This is a plan I have for the future but have not got there yet.

Let us know how you get on.

I can not put any pics on as this was in the pre-digital era and I just handed over the films to the couple after the event.

Bill