Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One more thing I would suggest is to work on focus. You should use MF. Best is you learn where true infinity focus is on your lens in good daylight, then mark it (maybe with some masking tape, the kind that won't leave residue). That way you can easily find the best focus when you are out in the dark. And finally, I would suggest you stop down the lens a little bit, even if just 1/3 or 1/2 aperture.

08-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
to me it looks like you hav manually focus your 35mm f2.4 until the focus ring hit the end. And it mean, it ain't focus on anything ! The DA 35/2.4 don't have a hard stop at infinity. Turn the focus ring then go back for a milimetre or two and you'll be focus on infinity. Otherwise you'll focus beyond.
08-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The posts on focusing - especially with the newer lenses, is an excellent point. My older manual wider lenses are a real joy to use. The newer lenses with their ability to slew by infinity in order to let the camera not bang in to a hard limit, makes focusing a lot more difficult. The last time I was out, I missed focus and blew the entire evening's worth of work - and I should have known.

08-15-2015, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
Here's one I took on Wednesday on the K-3....
The second image doesn't show trailing but it is out of focus. Try using live view to focus on the moon some night to determine infinity focus for each lens. Reduce the lens aperture a couple of clicks to sharpen up a little more. The longer exposures possible with the Astrotracer will compensate for the loss of light. Your first image shows some trailing as well as out of focus. Because of that difference, I wonder if the problem is camera shake. Bumping the tripod or the camera on a weak tripod in a wind gust, etc could cause what appears to be star trails. Any camera movement will defeat the Astrotracer.

08-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, lot of super informative tips. Thanks guys and gals! I'll give it a shot at the next dark sky opportunity. I have a 28mm f3.5 manual lens, will give that a shot after figuring out its sharpest infinity. I have been using a carbon fiber travel tripod, next time I'll take the alt-az mount that is a good 18 lbs.

After that once I am sure everything is figured out with the camera I'll hook up the camera to my f/12 Mak-Cass telescope (probably can't get more than a few seconds exposure on that, but should be interesting).

Last edited by realitarian; 08-15-2015 at 09:26 PM.
08-15-2015, 08:05 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
One more thing I would suggest is to work on focus. You should use MF.
I agree, AF systems on DSLRs aren't designed for or capable of accurately focusing on night sky objects.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Best is you learn where true infinity focus is on your lens in good daylight
This should be done with Live view if possible, the true infinity focus point will sometimes be drastically different from what is marked on the lens.

With this setup:

I was able to get this by pointing my camera straight up:

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 18mm, Pentax O-GPS - 30s ISO 800 - no bias frames or DFS used.

With the above image I used magnified live view and I focused on the brightest stars in the central portion of the image.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-16-2015 at 07:30 PM.
08-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #22

Am a new & beginner of using K3II & this was my tryout last night... with a DA 55-300mm HD lens at F4, ISO 1600, 30s Exposure using a flu card tethered to my iPhone

08-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Am I wrong in assuming that a bunch of stacked pictures are better than a single long exposure? Does the tracker support that as well?

08-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Am I wrong in assuming that a bunch of stacked pictures are better than a single long exposure? Does the tracker support that as well?
Doing that through astro stacking software is superior to using in-camera processing. The tracker does support taking multiple frames, however you have to shift the camera to compensate for the motion of the sky.
08-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Doing that through astro stacking software is superior to using in-camera processing. The tracker does support taking multiple frames, however you have to shift the camera to compensate for the motion of the sky.
Just to clarify, you should be able to take several 20-sec exposures within a 5 minutes or whatever time span than the astrotracer function recommends, right?

You could of course go longer with a motorized equatorial mount, but not having that, the astrotracer should work for compensating for movement along the ecliptic and taking multiple exposures for a short time for stacking, no?
08-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Does the tracker support that as well
no on board intervalometer in astrotracer function.....

take several 20-sec exposures within a 5 minutes

yes as many as ya like to stack
no need for the astrotracer with a motorized mount and yes that's my chase if I knew how to blend images together outside of a stacking program for good foreground composition
08-18-2015, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to clarify, you should be able to take several 20-sec exposures within a 5 minutes or whatever time span than the astrotracer function recommends, right?

You could of course go longer with a motorized equatorial mount, but not having that, the astrotracer should work for compensating for movement along the ecliptic and taking multiple exposures for a short time for stacking, no?
I can help shed a bit of light on the topic. You should be able to take any number of images with or without the GPS unit of whatever duration and use a utility like DeepSkyStacker to stack them up. The stacking utility will register and align each image against all the others (and count the number of stars in each frame), so the resulting image will essentially be the common area across your stack (or you can take the combination of all the frames).Using the GPS unit will enable you to gather more light while you are tracking. If you have a static landscape object in the frame it will just smear. Not using the GPS unit will be just like what everyone else will be doing. The big advantage I can see is that with the GPS unit you should be able to capture say 30 to 60 second images, while everyone else will be trying to capture 15 to 20 second images.

Professional astronomers take exactly the same approach. Their telescopes are tracking and guided, and they usually take a series of images (well it depends on the specific instrument that is mounted for the session, the type of data that they are collecting and exactly what they are trying to accomplish). A lot of the images you see are taken with nitrogen cooled CCD imaging arrays over the course of several hours up to an entire night in duration. But, they stack their take across several sessions (nights) together in order to aggregate the light.

Also, just to clarify, it's not several 20 second exposures within a 5 minute "window", each exposure starts a new tracking period that can be up to 5 minutes in duration (depending on the focal length of the lens).

08-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very cool! Thank you.
08-19-2015, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a paper that presents stacking images - without tracking.
09-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #30

Hi, I'm looking for a table with maximum tracking/expoure times for the astrotracer in pentax K-3 oder K-3 II. I couldn't find it on ricoh's website. Does anyone have a link?

Tom