Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2015, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ILC vs Camera phone - skill requirements

I posted a silly meme on my Facebook a few days ago based on those old "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" add where it's Nikon vs Canon and they end up beating the crap out of an iphone guy. I thought it would be funny because a lot my friends are Nikon and few are Canon and we like to pick on the Canon guys a bit. What ended up unfolding was pretty interesting and it got brought to a private conversation. I thought I would bring that here and get all your thoughts.

What was interesting was the responses from my photographer friends who are more serious into the hobby or are doing it professionally are typically all using some form of ILC, be it a DSLR or mirrorless camera vs the friends who are more casual with photography who are using their cellphones to take images and have no interest in pursing it actively as a hobby or purchasing a "real camera".

The camera users were silent aside from one Nikon guy going "it takes more skill to use a Nikon than a Canon."

To which an iphone user who does take some nice images replies "no, it takes more skill to use a camera phone than a DSLR".

That same comment got about 10-15 likes, all from the camera phone using crowd. What made it interesting was that a creative photographer who does a lot of composites and concept work locally, who also shoots with a pretty nice kit of pro grade lighting and camera gear responded with "yes, it is more difficult to take an amazing photo with a camera phone." to which another hi-fashion photographer (a full time pro in the field) responds with "but most people using camera phones don't know the difference between a good photo, a great photo, and a bad photo".

So it got me thinking and here was my response:

A ILC camera does require more skill to use than an iphone IF your not using it in "green" mode. Even more skill is required once you mix in lighting gear. We have more options to make our life easier and make different creative choices that are "natural" to the photograph. ie: we have zoom lenses, we have full control over our exposure trinity, we have RAW files. However, it would be expected that if you know what you are doing with a DSLR or ILC (and I don't care if you got a K20D that your still using full time or a Canon 5DS) you are expected to make better photos than your peers using a camera phone.

That being said, camera phone photographers should not be counted out. There is a different between the casual candid snapper and someone who is really focused on using a camera phone to create art. The "snapper" will create the same quality images in a camera phone or Canon 5DS if they are both set in full auto and just shoot and go. The people who are going out there to create art, well those camera phone users have a lot of respect from me and I think they do have a lot of skill that is equal to the skill needed by a DSLR user, just different.

You are very limited in camera phone photography, you have one fixed focal length and you need to rely on incamera apps for your capture. Almost everything is software based when it comes to your creative decisions. So when it comes to creating a good photo composition and light is even more key then it is with DSLR because you can't just shoot it in RAW and tweak it later to get it perfect.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what your shooting with the key things to create a good photograph are always going to be the same: direction and quality of light, composition, and subject.

09-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
direction and quality of light, composition, and subject.
The debate shouldn't be phone vs ILC but about why some people are 'naturals' at seeing "direction and quality of light, composition, and subject" and others can't see it at all.
09-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
The debate shouldn't be phone vs ILC but about why some people are 'naturals' at seeing "direction and quality of light, composition, and subject" and others can't see it at all.
same reason why someone who's 12 can pickup a guitar has shred better than van halen while someone who has been trying to master their craft for 20 years can hardly play hot cross buns. the passion may be a lot higher for the latter while the former may be bored because it comes so seemless.

thats what drives me crazy. props to them. brilliant freaking artists..
09-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First - best camera is the one with you. A good smartphone is better than no camera every time.

Second - artistic eyes are great. PP is great for expanding capabilities of smart phones also. These two work with either system and are not related to technical skills directly - artistic skill is harder to quantify and harder to qualify as hard or easy.

Third - the best application you can get for a iPhone is the 645Pro app - blows away many point and shoot cameras. ISO control, film emulation, etc. There are similar apps for Android. My LG G3 has amazing performance from a technical perspective.

So - is it harder to take a good photo with a smartphone - not really. You need proper tools (editing pp camera app) to make it easier and you need the artistic eye to make it good. Fixed focal length (not really there are add on lenses) drives a certain view and refining that single focal length can be liberating - just like using a single focal length prime lens for long periods of time can. Your eye for the shots that work gets a lot of practice.

It is paradoxical since you can take a quick snap with both platforms and the smartphone is more likely to be simpler feeling. The ILC is going to look more daunting and complex. But in the end both require a set of skills and an artistic eye to wring anything worth viewing from them.

09-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A good photographer can get good composition with any camera and understands the strengths and limits of their gear. Beyond that, there are different groups of skills for:

1) Getting the most out of a DSLR's advanced features. Some features that only help in a narrow range of circumstances, and knowing when to use them can make a good photo better.

2) Ignoring all the advanced features and shooting in full Manual mode is a different set of skills.

3) Finally, if using the more limited camera built into a phone, understanding those limits and working around them is a skill.

Let's consider a tricky case of a low-light action photo. A skilled DSLR shooter would balance a fast shutter to stop action, widest aperture or maybe stop down a little to improve sharpness, and high ISO but not so high to create objectionable noise. A skilled phone shooter might realize there's not enough light for their phone to work optimally, so they give up on stopping action and use motion blur in a creative way (the motion blur option is open to the DSLR user, too).
09-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just got 645 pro per your advice. Does it only take B/W photos ?
09-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
one Nikon guy going "it takes more skill to use a Nikon than a Canon."
So, Nikons are more difficult to use? I guess they're not as good as Canons then.

09-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
So, Nikons are more difficult to use? I guess they're not as good as Canons then.
I personally find them easier but they are very Pentax like
09-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I just got 645 pro per your advice. Does it only take B/W photos ?
No - there is a dial that controls film emulation it is little and below and left of the shutter. B&w is default I think but there are plenty of color options. I can take a screen shot if needed.

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 01:34 PM ----------

Canon is incomprehensible to me.
09-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks. I will eventually read the book I just wanted instant gratification for my $4.
09-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
[/COLOR]Canon is incomprehensible to me.
same.

I sat down with a 5DMKII and a D800 (rented both) for a week before I decided on the D800.