Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Asking for tips to shoot indoors with no lighting gear

I've offered to shoot photos for my martial arts club's new round of posters and leaflets. My lenses are below, though I might have a 135mm F3.5 by then for what it's worth. My only flash is the onboard on my K-30, and I'll be shooting in an indoor sports hall. Whilst I should be okay with angles and stuff, I was wondering if anyone has tips/suggestions for using the flash (e.g. DIY diffusers) or motion.

Some photos will be posed, though I'd like to get some action shots as well.

09-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
I've offered to shoot photos for my martial arts club's new round of posters and leaflets. My lenses are below, though I might have a 135mm F3.5 by then for what it's worth. My only flash is the onboard on my K-30, and I'll be shooting in an indoor sports hall. Whilst I should be okay with angles and stuff, I was wondering if anyone has tips/suggestions for using the flash (e.g. DIY diffusers) or motion.

Some photos will be posed, though I'd like to get some action shots as well.
I go up to 1600 iso on my k-30 for sports and it isn't too bad. I haven't used flash because that would distract the athletes, but i usually manage to get to about 1/400th or 1/500th of a second at f/4
09-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How bright/dim is the indoor sports hall? Can you take some test pictures to determine light levels? Can you buy/rent some utility lights in case you need to light up a dojo floor a bit? Do you want your shots to freeze motion, or do you want at least some to show movement? How close will you be (able to be) to the action? What equipment can you borrow from a friend (or PF.com accomplice in DC)? Are the shots going to be printed in b&w or color or both?

Tell us more.
09-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some shots will be fine with your flash indoors, but since these are for promo, why not get them outdoors as well with either scenic or neutral backgrounds?

You'd get nice contrast, while the flash then acts as your fill rather than key light.

09-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you know what the indoor lights are?
If they are fluorescent, or some kind of vapor lights, or worse, a mixture of different sources, you will have troubles if you try and mix flash (or other lights) with the ambient light, Even if you shoot RAW, you will have an odd mix of color in the images that can be uncorrectable. Test shoot first to see what skin tones will look like. Take a family member or friend, shoot available light, and then some fill flash to see what you are up against before you do it for real.

With your limited lighting equipment and generally slow lenses, I agree with Clackers, see if you can talk them into outdoors somewhere,

Been there, done that....
09-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Do you know what the indoor lights are?
If they are fluorescent, or some kind of vapor lights, or worse, a mixture of different sources, you will have troubles if you try and mix flash (or other lights) with the ambient light, Even if you shoot RAW, you will have an odd mix of color in the images that can be uncorrectable. Test shoot first to see what skin tones will look like. Take a family member or friend, shoot available light, and then some fill flash to see what you are up against before you do it for real.

With your limited lighting equipment and generally slow lenses, I agree with Clackers, see if you can talk them into outdoors somewhere,

Been there, done that....
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the lighting is going to be a bit funny. I'll try to avoid flash. I'll also ask about going outside, but we'll have to see.
09-10-2015, 05:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

if you want to capture the action then a little blur is not so bad go for ISO 800-1600 to see if your shutter speed is fast enough, bring in as much light as possible : borrow lamps from your friends/family or mirrors to have more light sources ^^ and use Burst mode to get all the action

09-11-2015, 01:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Use a tripod (or other support), try the MF lenses (a fast fifty like the M50/1.7 would be great) that are faster than the kit lenses.
You can manually prefocus them if/when you know the distances to the athletes.

The 135/3.5 might be the best option if you have enough space.

Seb
09-11-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may have to use a chair or table instead of a tripod. I'm going to class after university so can't carry that much in my bag. If all I get is crap then I'll ask to try again next week, outside.
09-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Is there any chance you can visit the location before the photo shoot?
This way you can try a few settings just to see how the light will work. Maybe even build a custom WB if lights are way too funky. Give yourself some time to experiment with the settings, this way when you do the photo shoot you already know what to do.
09-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm going to go in at least 15 minutes early, for sure. Quite looking forward to this as a learning experience.
09-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm never going to offer to do that again. My instructor has no idea of how to line up photos, no patience, and it's extremely awkward to tell your senior instructor that's he's getting in the way. There were a few times when some of the students were co-operating really well, but then they'd get called over to do something completely different.

"We'll just get rid of the clutter with photoshop" he says.

Grnrnrnrnrnrnrrr...
09-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm never going to offer to do that again. My instructor has no idea of how to line up photos, no patience, and it's extremely awkward to tell your senior instructor that's he's getting in the way.
Sad to hear, Clockworkrat ... but as the photographer, you do all the directing, right?
09-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It felt a bit like that notorious website designer/client relationship. No, I didn't do all the directing. My instructor had ideas, but no patience or awareness of technique.
09-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm never going to offer to do that again. My instructor has no idea of how to line up photos, no patience, and it's extremely awkward to tell your senior instructor that's he's getting in the way. There were a few times when some of the students were co-operating really well, but then they'd get called over to do something completely different.

"We'll just get rid of the clutter with photoshop" he says.

Grnrnrnrnrnrnrrr...
Sorry to hear about your bad experience in this gig... did you get paid for that? If not, just forget about those who do not appreciate your efforts; just believe in yourself and move on...