Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who Has Got/Is Getting A K20D & Why?

OK this is a counter thread to the
Curious, who did not get a K20 and why?

Having started with the K100D, then a K10D, followed by the K100D Super, I'm ready to join the ranks of the K20D club, the first Pentax DSLR with a CMOS sensor.

Never mind the higher price or the larger file sizes, I'm just blown away by the resolution and image quality. To me that's really what matters most. I need it quick and I've let go all my preceding Pentax bodies for this current Pentax flagship. Ha, ha, coming from the print business, megapixels do matter!

06-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
....... Ha, ha, coming from the print business, megapixels do matter!
I am also in the print business and to be honest, I've gotten pretty decent 22 x 34 inch posters (litograph printing) from 6 megapix (ist D) files (full frame). But you are totally right. Megapixels do matter in printing business.

I upgraded to K20D from my ist D because yes, I feel I do need the megapixels. I really don't care much about other features. I got mine less than a month ago and haven't had the chance yet to take it on a shooting spree. So far I've done some "testing" with my glass arsenal and so far, I can tell you that the K20D can easily draw the line between the soft cheapo lenses and the tack sharp primes. Of course, probably due to the extra sensor resolution.

RB
06-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As I stated elsewhere, I upgraded from a *ist-D. I don't upgrade with every new body, but when I do up grade, I go for the latest-greatest.
06-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I went with the K20D to get the better high ISO capability vs the K10D, along with the higher resolution. However, once I got it I found that there were lots of other reasons why I love the K20D. Better AF (especially AF-C) was the first surprise. I also like that it handles like the K10D so I didn't have to relearn things.

The K20D does everything the K10D does at least a little better and in some cases a lot better. Plus it does things that no other Pentax does. For me, it's a great camera and a joy to use.

Bottom line, though, less noise at high ISO was what started me looking.

06-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The reasons why I upgraded to the K20D:
1) Resolution. The extra resolution is *amazing* even when compared to the K10D. The K20D really gives an almost medium format look to the images.
2) AF adjustments. I had 2 lenses that BFed and one that FFed and the other 14 lenses were fine. This AF feature is brilliant!
3) This is something I didn't bank on when I purchased the camera, but the overall responsiveness is much improved. Things like the AF, and in particular low light AF, seems to be a tad quicker.
06-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #6

I recently upgraded from a K10D (although she still has a special place in my bag as a trusted backup). Primary reasons for the upgrade were the increased resolution and ISO.

So far, the K20D has not dissapointed.
06-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #7

Im very happy with the K20. I bought it on the advise of a friend. now my K10 is the back up. I really love the da* Glass

Rick

06-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I will upgrade to the K20 primarily for resolution when cropping and better UI.

Cheers,

Rene
06-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Budget allowing and with LBA "under control" by the end of the year I'll have one...
  1. 2nd body. For me occasionally but mostly so I can get the wife shooting again too.
  2. Better/Higher ISO performance.
  3. Better sensor and higher resolution.
  4. Burst mode for insects and other identifiable flying objects.
  5. Live view for low angle work to save my achin' neck.
  6. Enhanced custom options.
I just have to figure out how and where to work it in between the "stars"...
06-21-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I was considering swapping over to a Canon 450D after selling my K100D super but after taking into consideration the awesome list of features on the K20D and the build quality for the price I couldn't bring myself to go Canon. The Canon just felt "less solid" than the K20D.

It does suffer a bit with inexpensive zoom lenses. I have a Tamron Di II 18-200 and it doesn't give the sharpest shots but they are still quite nice. Throw on a prime lens and the K20D really shines.
06-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi NicholasN

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
It (the K20D) does suffer a bit with inexpensive zoom lenses.......Throw on a prime lens and the K20D really shines.
Your observation would appear to reinforce the experience of photographers who use full-frame DSLR models such as C***n's 5D/1DS Mk III. These high-resolution sensors are reputedly merciless in revealing less-than-perfect glass. That's the equivalent of filling-up a thoroughbred sports car with low grade fuel and then demanding top performance - it's obviously a false economy ! Therefore potential purchasers had better realise that they can't expect to slap any old lens onto a K20D and subsequently produce stunning images from it !

Best regards
Richard
06-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Bottom line, though, less noise at high ISO was what started me looking.
I guess the question I have, when you consider I have not yet made the decision on the K20D is the following. I shoot wildlife, and with long lenses need higher ISO and shutter speeds.

How much better is the K20D over the K10D at 1600 ISO. See the post below, shot with a sigma 70-200 F2.8, plus 2x TC (also sigma) this is a crop out of a K10D shot at 1600, and is about 10% of the image area.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/208249-post1.html

How much better can the K20D? as I am quite surprised and pleased about the shot all things considered/
06-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #13

Printing is the reason. A raw file from a K10D is about 11x16 at 240 dpi. A raw file from a K20D is over 13x19 at the same 240dpi. So I can bump the dpi up to 300 and get that same 11x16 with any resampling. So now I can print bigger without upsampling, or what I usually do is print that 11x16 on a 13x19 sheet so I've got a bit of a border around it.
I print 99% black and white on an Epson R2400, and I can see the difference between 240 and 300 dpi. I've heard the ideal is 360, and I'm not there yet without upsampling, but I'm closer.
As others have pointed out, you realize added benefits after you use the camera a while, like my pancakes (especially the 21) focus quicker in low light. And the comment about throwing on "any old lens" - it's not the "old" that will get you, it's just cheaper lenses. My 50mm A 1.7 is fabulous. Older Pentax glass will do fine. Just watch out for the Sigma's, Tamron's, and Tokina's that aren't up to the task.
06-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #14

Over the past year and a half, I've upgraded from K100D -> K10D -> K20D.

I loved my K100D so much, that the raves on the forums convinced me to upgrade to the K10D. But that upgrade was somewhat bitter-sweet for me.

I loved the controls and general responsiveness of the K10, but missed the low noise and ability to "push process" my files (also because of noise). I found that I could push at least +1EV, sometimes +2EV shooting RAW on my K100, but the K10D got noisy after about +0.5 exposure boost in post-process.

The good news about this was that I learned how to expose better by using my K10D. But I still missed ISO3200, and the lower noise levels throughout (most of) the rest of the ISO range on my K100D.

So, as someone said before, the K20D was the answer. Higher ISO and lower noise, than the K10D, but with identical controls.

After having my K20D for about a month, I've sold my K100D (locally, sorry!) and kept the K10 as a backup body. I'm much more comfortable with a backup that has identical controls. Also, the K100 just felt "slow" after using the 10 and the 20.

I'll also echo the sentiment that the K20D really demands top quality glass, if you want to see the true capabilities of the 14.6 mega pixel sensor. I recently got the DA*16-50, and DA*50-135 and I think that most of the rest of my lens kit has been effectively rendered obsolete by these 2 lenses. Only my primes can compare in terms of sharpness. So I'll probably be selling everything I have that overlap those 2 lenses. My original 18-55 went with the K100D...

I'm still not convinced that even the K20D has quite as much post-process latitude in terms of being able to push-process exposures as my K100D had, but now that I'm exposing better, I don't often need +2EV in post process anymore.

So, in all, I can confidently say I'm _VERY_ satisfied with my upgrade to the K20D. While I haven't found live-view to be as useful as I expected, I really like the single-press exposure bracketing, and the improved resolution really blows me away, though this is partly attributable to the new glass as well.

That's my 50 cents worth.

-Chris
06-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One of the reasons why I got rid of my earlier Pentax DSLRs and decided on the K20D was because of the images posted by K20D early adopters here in Singapore, and the discussions held over the Pentax user meet-up we recently had.

Like many K10D users, I too once held the belief that the K20D represented a minor incremental upgrade over the K10D. Boy how wrong I was. The new CMOS sensor is amazing and the colour rendition is quite unlike the Canon's typical cool look.