Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Photographing drift / motorsports - lens protection

hi,
I'm a fan of 2 things - photo and drift, and I like to enjoy them both at the same time when possible.

during the last session I kind of got worried about the following: tire smoke, or to be more precise - zooming while being in the cloud of the smoke. I'm pumping the stuff in and out of the lens (external zoom). I'm not sure the weather sealing does much with particles of this size - I'm assuming, the tire smoke is a form of very, very fine [carbon] dust (soot, technically).

easiest, of course, is to wait for that breeze of wind that blows the stuff away, but it's not always that windy. any tips? avoiding zooming is one, perhaps the most effective. protective gear?.. has anyone had actual problems with the gear because of this or similar situation?

thanks in advance,
karro

09-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used my 55-300 and my Sigma 70-200 2.8 (none of them weather sealed) in drifting competitions for about 10 events and I have not noticed any problems with them. Maybe you want to avoid zooming in/out while you are covered in smoke, but other than that you should be fine. I have not seen any special protection in "pros" equipment either.
09-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm often taking stills and movies with my trusty K-01 around the start line at Drag Racing ... burn outs generate lots of smoke like drifting. I often find small sticky bits of rubber on the camera body and occasionally on the filter on the front of the lens but so far none have got into the body or lens. Famous last words? I've only recently got a WR lens and of course the K-01 isn't WR.
09-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks! Good to know, perhaps I need to relax and enjoy the events (and avoid zooming while in the cloud of smoke )

09-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have at least a UV filter on the end of your lens.