Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Your favorite photographs

What are your favorite photographs (other than your own) and why. If you can, post a link to the photo if it's online. The two that I consider my all time favorites are both by Margaret Bourke-White.

The first is the bread line after the 1937 Louisville flood. The contrast of opposites; the billboard with the rosy cheeked all-American family advertising the US having the "World's Highest Standard Of Living" contrasted by the people of color in line for bread. Shades of Jean Valjean.

The second is beautiful for it's simplicity. Ghandi sitting by his spinning wheel, reading.

06-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i have a LOT lol

Robert Cappa, Maplethorp, Mary Allen Mark, Manray, ALL of the WPA photographers of the drprtion eara, Weege, Immgred Cuttingham, just a cople off the top of my head
06-21-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I love visiting Shorpy. Nathan, I think you would most definitely enjoy it. It isn't quite photojournalism so much as it is photo-ethnography or photo-documentary, but I get the impression it will appeal to you. It includes a lot of the photographers you mentioned.

And if you will do us the favor of posting here your photo of the EMS lady comforting the patient on the stretcher then that will serve the purpose of answering the question about our favorite photos other than our own.
06-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm a big fan of Helmut Newton's work (beyond the obvious reasons, people.) I have this one as my mobile phone background.

That "American Way!" photo by Bourke White is one of my favourites, too. It's the sort of bitter irony and solid truth photojournalists dream of. You couldn't plan that sort of shot and have it come off better.

Like this one by Weegee:

Brilliant.

This one is my favourite Tim Page shot, I've gotta say.

06-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Banned

I love that Tim Page shot as well! thumbs up to you.
06-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Edward Weston http://www.edward-weston.com/
Ansel Adams The Ansel Adams Gallery
Imogen Cunningham IMOGEN CUNNINGHAM TRUST
Alfred Stieglitz Lee Gallery: Alfred Stieglitz vintage photographs for sale
Henri Caritier-Bresson Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson
Robert Capa Robert Capa
Bob Sasha bob sacha Bob Sacha : Digital Dreamscape (The chief instructor at my NG photo workshop)
Carlan Tapp Carlan Tapp Photography (Additional instructor at NG photo Workshop)
Jerry Courvoisier Jerry Courvoisier digital photography (Additional instructor at NG photo workshop)
Vincent Versace Vincent Versace Digital Natural Light Photography
Phil Maland Phil Maland Portrait Photography - Snohomish County Maternity, Senior, Child and Family Portrait Photographer in Washington State (One of the guys at work)
Ian Dewar Ian Dewar Photography - Pacific Northwest Images and beyond (He used to be my third or fouth level manager)
Jesse L. Young Jesse L. Young Photography. Fine art photography, black and white and digital photography. Fine art photography
David Tolleson David Tolleson Photography (I used to work with Dave - he has moved to NM)
Me PDLanum Images PENTAX Photo Gallery MyShot - National Geographic Magazine
Paul Butzi Paul Butzi Photography (his article on large format film handling is what brought me in - his work is bringing me back)
Nearly everyone at:
photo-eye | Explore Art Photography
MediaStorm: A Multimedia Production Studio Founded by Brian Storm - Photojournalism, Photography, Video, Audio, Storytelling

Plus many others - nearly everyone in the Time/Life series on Photography (1970's).

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 06-21-2008 at 02:29 PM.
06-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Banned

from an artistic standpoint pretty much anything from Garry Winogrand, Stephen Shore and Harry Callahan. I cant possibly pick any favorite photos in particular though. when it comes to journalistic photography I have a strange fascination with war photography so pretty much anyone who captures a stunning image.

cant forget to mention NG pretty much any NG photographer, they are among the best in the world.

here are a couple from Garry Winogrand that I really like. He captured an everyday that seemed beyond the reality of the 'everyday'. he had this slightly dark feel to his photographs that I really love. he is a constant inspiration for me. he was even banned from the state of texas for his work on the fort worth stock show, and im from fort worth!

Last edited by séamuis; 06-21-2008 at 02:48 PM.
06-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

there's a spot in my soul for dorothea lange's photography.