Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
They look great! Especially like your middle shot. What was your capture rate on average?
Out of about 300 shots, I probably had only 10-15 genuinely useful shots. A total of about 70 were kept as potentially usable for low-resolution web posting (which is what Athletics mainly wants to use these images for); I ran those shots (except for the ones that got special attention) through RawTherapee in batch with a purpose-made profile that specified aggressive noise reduction and other adjustments from RAW. (I still turn in high-resolution JPEGs so that they have freedom to crop as needed.) The noise reduction in RawTherapee produces noticeably cleaner images while retaining slightly more detail when compared to the out-of-camera JPEGs.

—DragonLord

10-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #17
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it looks like all of the pics in this thread were shot with too slow of a shutter? i'm seeing 1/500th... you should be at 1/800th bare minimum, 1/000th and quicker is better.

this is how it's done, notice the shutter speeds: AVC Women's Beach Volleyball Championship 2015 Day 1 highlights: Sport and Action Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review

he's never under 1/800th for action shooting with people, even indoors, but of course he's also using the best gear.
10-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
it looks like all of the pics in this thread were shot with too slow of a shutter? i'm seeing 1/500th... you should be at 1/800th bare minimum, 1/000th and quicker is better.

this is how it's done, notice the shutter speeds: AVC Women's Beach Volleyball Championship 2015 Day 1 highlights: Sport and Action Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review

he's never under 1/800th for action shooting with people, even indoors, but of course he's also using the best gear.
The photos in the link are taken outdoors which usually have a lot more light then indoor shooting. Getting above 1/800 in some of the gyms I have shot in would be next to impossible unless you had a lens like an 85 1.4

Cheers

Randy
10-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #19
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
The photos in the link are taken outdoors which usually have a lot more light then indoor shooting. Getting above 1/800 in some of the gyms I have shot in would be next to impossible unless you had a lens like an 85 1.4

Cheers

Randy
Agree totally. Even what appear to be well lit gyms usually suck - 1/500th @ ISO6400 like the middle shot is pretty typical. I think the OP did a nice job!

10-22-2015, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #20
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
Agree totally. Even what appear to be well lit gyms usually suck - 1/500th @ ISO6400 like the middle shot is pretty typical. I think the OP did a nice job!
where the girl in blue was diving for the ball? the timing was great, looked like it was in focus(?), it could have been a killer shot, but instead it's a blurry mess, because the shutter was too slow at 1/500th.

he was at f/4, if you want pro results with action shooting, 1/800th minimum is not negotiable... unfortunately it could mean f/2.8 glass

this looks like indoor volleyball, check at the shutter speeds on every shot: Men's Volleyball (iii): Sport and Action Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review

indoor water polo, 1/800th minimum on every shot, and all of 'em are sharp: Asia Pacific Water Polo Tournament Highlights (men's): Sport and Action Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review Asia Pacific Water Polo (Women) HKG 9:2 TPE: Sport and Action Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

where the girl in blue was diving for the ball? the timing was great, looked like it was in focus(?), it could have been a killer shot, but instead it's a blurry mess, because the shutter was too slow at 1/500th.

he was at f/4, if you want pro results with action shooting, 1/800th minimum is not negotiable... unfortunately it could mean f/2.8 glass

this looks like indoor volleyball, check at the shutter speeds on every shot: Men's Volleyball (iii): Sport and Action Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review

indoor water polo, 1/800th minimum on every shot, and all of 'em are sharp: Asia Pacific Water Polo Tournament Highlights (men's): Sport and Action Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review Asia Pacific Water Polo (Women) HKG 9:2 TPE: Sport and Action Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review
What camera and lens were those taken with? They do look nice and sharp

Randy
10-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #22
osv
Veteran Member

he uses real expensive gear :-( always ff?? d4 for instance in some of those, it's only 16mp, but it has very good iso capability, and as i understand it a very high burst rate... killer af also, i suspect.

lately he's been on a canon kick, and he's even posted a couple of sony a7rii shots... where do people get the money for this stuff??

10-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

he uses real expensive gear :-( always ff?? d4 for instance in some of those, it's only 16mp, but it has very good iso capability, and as i understand it a very high burst rate... killer af also, i suspect.

lately he's been on a canon kick, and he's even posted a couple of sony a7rii shots... where do people get the money for this stuff??
I can't afford the D4 game...K3 isn't as sharp but it costs a lot less. My wife would leave me if I ever came home with equipment that expensive. Besides, all my shots mostly stay on my computer taking up space

Randy
11-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #24
Site Supporter

OP, great attempt. The composition looks great. Unfortunately I do feel the equipment held you back from greatness. =)

those linked sports shots are just top notch and perfectly convey the emotion behind the sports.

For whatever reason, I think DSLRs take the emphasis on quality out of the equation when you can just spray and pray you get one good shot out of a bunch. When the incremental cost per extra shot is nill (or close to it), we take less time to think about making the most out of every shot.
12-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Come to think of it, there really is no substitute for f/2.8 glass. The ideal would be the Pentax DA* 50-135mm, but I'm not sure if I can trust the SDM on it. I'd bump the shutter speed to 1/640s and use the rest of the extra light towards a lower ISO speed. The lighting isn't the best so I'd prefer to bring the ISO down first.
12-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
Come to think of it, there really is no substitute for f/2.8 glass. The ideal would be the Pentax DA* 50-135mm, but I'm not sure if I can trust the SDM on it. I'd bump the shutter speed to 1/640s and use the rest of the extra light towards a lower ISO speed. The lighting isn't the best so I'd prefer to bring the ISO down first.
The 50-135 is my go to lens but I have the screw drive so it might make a difference in focus speed

Randy
12-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I find the 50-135 fast to focus, but yes, it's a screwdrive conversion. :-)
12-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

There the sigma 50-150 and there also lenses like 24-70, 28-75 from sigma/tamron/pentax. When there no much light and you need high speed, having a faster lens really does help.

But this also put more stress onto the AF sub system and honestly a Nikon D7100/D7200 does a better job at this. If you end-up shooting mostly sports/action, you might consider to change gear. DA60-250 would have been fine outdoor in daylight.
12-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Consider the 50-135, especially a new one right now from B&H being only like $799. Make sure you get a warranty if you're too worried about the SDM, probably not a bad idea anyway. I love mine, it's a fantastic lens.
12-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the 16-50 and 50-135 have a stigma reflected in pricing - seize them if you love image quality and are not afraid to do the conversion if needed!