Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
i had to google that to have any idea what you 're talking about, and it apparently has nothing to do with this thread. maybe that's why nobody's mentioned it?
But it does ... when bouncing off a wall or ceiling, flagging off the leaking direct flash part is a plus. But you can use a business card or even your left hand for this.

10-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But it does ... when bouncing off a wall or ceiling, flagging off the leaking direct flash part is a plus. But you can use a business card or even your left hand for this.
none of which was done in the photos being discussed in this thread.
10-14-2015, 01:12 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
none of which was done in the photos being discussed in this thread.
Bouncing (and better ways of doing it) were mentioned as far back as the second post.
10-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Bouncing (and better ways of doing it) were mentioned as far back as the second post.
The part that was not mentioned was blocking the direct flash. In fact one picture clearly shows the flash output in a window. I am still not convinced there wasn't another source of light (second flash or more ambient light than estimated) but it is pretty clear from catch lights and reflections the direct flash output was at least partly there.

10-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I am still not convinced there wasn't another source of light (second flash or more ambient light than estimated) but it is pretty clear from catch lights and reflections the direct flash output was at least partly there.
There are so many pictures now, but from the masquerade party ones, I don't see any evidence of a second light source. In post #23, you can see the ambient pot lights in the 1st and 2nd photos, they're weaksauce. In the 5th of that post, see the deep shadow of the gold-masked dude.

In the ones with the mirror-wall visible, you can see how dark the room appears. Depending on how things were aligned, you may also end up with a bunch of backlight off the mirror from flash pointed forwardish and also from the reflection of what you were bouncing off the ceiling.

Was there a particular photo that you think looked like multiple light sources?
10-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Even if bouncing with something like a Gary Fong Lightshere, whilst most light goes up and spreads, some comes forwards through the plastic .... This is normally a very good thing, as it provides some front fill plus catchlights, but glass in behind would still be a no no for this type of diffuser, just as it is for direct flash.

If it is a diffuser like this there is effectively 2 light sources, from the same flash.
10-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Even if bouncing with something like a Gary Fong Lightshere, whilst most light goes up and spreads, some comes forwards through the plastic .... This is normally a very good thing, as it provides some front fill plus catchlights, but glass in behind would still be a no no for this type of diffuser, just as it is for direct flash.

If it is a diffuser like this there is effectively 2 light sources, from the same flash.
Absolutely. Here it looks like the flash is sometimes pointed straight up, sometimes forward a little and sometimes head on. All coming from the one camera-mounted flash (without a diffuser) in any case

10-22-2015, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Surprised nobody has mentioned a pocket bouncer. I had very good results with these, granted that the last time I shot a "party-light" event - I had a NIkon rig where camera meters properly regardless of where the flash is pointing.

Haven't shot with a flash gun since I've picked up a Pentax setup again. Have they corrected the metering issues when the flash is pointed elsewhere but in the face?

10-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #39
Pentaxian

The wonderful thing about learning in a studio with studio lighting, is you see what you are doing, what every change in position of your light source does and you can add and subtract reflectors and diffusers as well. 3 hours in a studio is worth a couple years of fooling around with flashes at parties. Once you understand what you re try to accomplish and figure out lighting in general, it's a lot easier to set it up with flash. Just my 2 cents worth.
10-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The portrait pros use flash everywhere these days - inside, outside, formal posed, faux informal lifestyle, groups, individuals, studio, location, middle of the day, middle of the night.

If people want to emulate them (we seem to have huge arguments about which bits of their gear we want to own) ....
10-22-2015, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Here are two I took at a wedding last weekend. This is just bounced flash (also have a flash for backlight, but its not effecting the subject/ambient ratio). If you control the ambient and keep it dark, and let your flash correctly expose the subject, you get what the OP is looking for. No need for fancy gizmos or other things. Just bounce.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful, Enoeske. Flash has let you in the first shot get all the details of the bride even when backlit. In the second you didn't blow out the background because the flash on your subject freed you to meter for the rest of the room.

Hope in between the work you got to help yourself at the bar. :-D
10-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #43

Original Poster
Enoeske, great pics. This is pretty much the effect I am looking for. As I look at the pictures I posted and at your shots, I also cannot stop thinking that the Lens plays a great deal into this effect. I can imagine that the pictures I posted are taken with some expensive ff canon 50mm/f1.2 or f1.4 lens or similar.

For now I played with my gear: k5-ii, metz flash, pentax50mm/f1,7, tamron17-50/f.2.8 and I cannot replicate those results yet.
10-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Excuse my ignorance, which of the flash photos included in this thread look so well, I am not sure if I understand the question. IMHO, I consider a good flash photo that does not look like it is 'flashed' (ie. I prefer more natural look if at all possible even including the WB).
10-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magic.pill Quote
Enoeske, great pics. This is pretty much the effect I am looking for. As I look at the pictures I posted and at your shots, I also cannot stop thinking that the Lens plays a great deal into this effect. I can imagine that the pictures I posted are taken with some expensive ff canon 50mm/f1.2 or f1.4 lens or similar.

For now I played with my gear: k5-ii, metz flash, pentax50mm/f1,7, tamron17-50/f.2.8 and I cannot replicate those results yet.
Those were taken with the sigma 17-50 f/2.8