Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
polarizing filters

Hi all,
I have a Pentax K10D and I am anxiously awaiting my new DA 55-300 lens just ordered
yesterday. ( can't wait ) My question is this: I have usually used a skylight/uv filter only. Should I be using a polarizing filter for the new lens? ( I think I should ) If so, what are the differences in the different polarizing filters and which brand should I purchase?

Thanks

06-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy a circular polarizing filter. It's very useful in certain situations: cutting down on water reflections, fall leaf colors, and blown highlights in mid-day sunshine.

Caveat: with an ultra-wide angle lens, a standard thickness filter ring may cause vignetting (dark areas in the corners) at it's shortest focal length. I have to correct this on my DA 12-24 at 12mm.

Regards,
Marc
06-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Skylight/U.V. filters don't have the same use as polarizer. The skylight/U.V. filter will be used to cut ultra-violet light and give some penetration through atmospheric haze so your colors are going to be more accurate (mainly outdoor, since there is less U.V. light indoor). A good U.V. filter will also (slightly) improve light transmission. On the other hand, a polarizer will cut glare and reflections off NON-METALLIC objects. Doing so will improve the colors of objects normally causing reflections. It will also improve the color of tree leaves and other natural "greeneries" and darken the sky to increase the contrast with clouds. It will also reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor, so you need a longer exposure or a larger diaphragm opening. Both filters will also protect the front element of your lenses. Some people leave a U.V./skylight filter on full time to protect their expensive lenses.
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another polarizer type combines with various warming filters in a single mount to help punch up selected colors; examples include the "Moose" (Peterson) warming polarizer available from Hoya, and the much more dramatic Singh-Ray Gold-n-Blue polarizer (which is a polarizer that shifts from a blue emphasis to a strong warming color as the polarizer is rotated). Comparable "combination" polarizers with their own distinctive shifts are available from other makers, IIRC.

Reliable and well regarded polarizers are made by the usual filter manufacturers, including Hoya, B&W, Heliopan, Cokin, Lee, and Tiffen. Pentax used to offer a line of filters, and the big two camera makers still do. (Any other top firms I've forgotten, guys?) I use Hoya and Cokin, FWIW.

Last edited by christinelandon; 06-30-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: additional and corrected comments
06-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone; that was very helpful
G
06-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here you get the picture on how a CPL works:

Without CPL

With CPL