Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Macro LED ring light

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello
I'm doing packshots with a K-3 and FA 50mm and F 100 macro lenses.
I found that LED light is good for making diamonds sparcel.
I am thinking about boying a JJC LED-60 ring light.
Any experience with this??

I know it's got at diffuser screen, which is not goot for jewelry.
I wonder ig I can get the DIFFUSER screen off - so the diamonds can see the LED lights, so to speak?

Regards
Jens, Denmark

10-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

This (?) one

I dont like these kinds of reviews , to much opinion and no real world examples

Seriously , what is needed is for these budget ring lights to actually be tested under Macro conditions .
I tried one a while ago , was it the FC100 or something , and it was hopeless .
The only camera it worked with was my K100D , and even then it was on the ragged edge ...
So I honestly dont know what to say ...
10-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Buy a real ring flash like this: Sunpak DX 8R Ring Light Macro Flash Module for Nikon Included Safe for DSLR | eBay instead of that LED ring crap. Don't worry about the Nikon module, any module will do since you'll be shooting in manual mode anyways but do make sure the flash comes with a module.
10-10-2015, 12:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi guys
I don't want flash light.
I use flash for background lighting. Ambient light for main light. This way I can control the balance using exclusivly the aperture and shutter speed settings on the camera (the technique known as "Slow Flash").
I have described this technique here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/albums/72157657685746020

This is the reason I want ambient LED light for lighting up the diamonds in my jewelry pack shots.
I aim to take off the diffusion screen, covering the LED's, in order to accomodate reflections in the diamonds from all the "light bulbs" (diodes).
I just wanted to know if anyone might have this JJC LED-60, which allows dimming - it can be adjusted all the way down to zero - which is nice, since I don't want too much light to interfere with my overall exposuere :-)

Regards
Jens

10-17-2015, 02:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hello again.
I got the JJC LED-60 Ring Light off Amazon.
I have posted a real life test image here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/22054531858/in/photostream/

I think it works quite well, even though I like the natural light image better :-)

I aim to use the LED-60 for diamonds. I have noticed, that the diffuser isn't very good, so every LED is visible. This is nice for me, since I want the LED to be reflected in the diamonds. For jewelry with silver or other metal surfaces, the LED's will be visible in the image, which is of cource not good. I aim to photograph only the diamonds with the LED-60. I'll copy-paste the diamonds into an image recorded under normal conditions, using very soft light.

Regards
Jens

Last edited by Photodana; 10-17-2015 at 03:10 AM. Reason: I forgot something