Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D in HEAVY rain - works as intended

Just a couple of shots to show that the weather sealing really does work. Went to the Clearwater festival this weekend and this morning it started to rain. Rained hard for a while then quit. Just after "The Kennedy's" started to play, the sky really opened up and an massive monsoon like downpour ensued. Because of the thunder and lighting, they turned off power, but "The Kennedy's" bought out their acoustic guitars, came near the edge of the tent and continued to play. I put a plastic bag over my Pentax "A" 70-210, and continued to shoot. The camera worked perfectly even in a torrential downpour. Unfortunately, eventually my eyepiece fogged up so bad I couldn't see well enough to focus, towards the end it was so dark I couldn't even see the little red square flash. Here are two shots, the last one is pretty terrible, it was the last shot I took, and I could barely make out Pete and Moira Kennedy's faces. But it shows how hard it was raining.

NaCl(if you are nervous about taking the K10D out in inclement weather, don't be)H2O

06-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you really shot it in the rain salty?

without anything over you.?

Gosh..
06-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Those two shots speak volumes, don't they? Thanks, Salty!
06-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, that rain must be huge. Great to use it in such interesting atmosphere

06-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The rain makes everything look so... washed out.

Did you do any PP on them?
06-23-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ive shot in rain aswell, without cover, with nonsealed lenses
06-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fearveiw:
I had a poncho on with a hood. But that's about all. And of course my Slingshot has it's own "rain coat" but it was under the poncho anyway. And yes, I did get soaked, but the rain wasn't too cold.

NaCl(and I'm made of low maintenance stuff)H2O

06-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Christine:

Volumes it was! Buckets and buckets of volumes! I heard later that they got over 3 inches in the space of about 4 hours.

NaCl(a real 'snake drowner' )H2O
06-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
James: It was kinda fun in the beginning but towards the end the only "atmosphere" I was looking for was a dry one!

NaCl(It was definitely a moist atmosphere that's for sure!)H2O
06-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ftp: yes I did do a fair amount of PP on the second one. It was pretty dark by that time, and the front objective of the lens was starting to fog up too. The inside of the tent (where the musicians were) was very dark and all the light colored umbrellas outside made for too great a contrast difference. So I jumped pretty heavily on the "shadows/highlights" sliders. To be truthful I don't think the first shot looks very washed out at all. Check out the color of Pete's guitar or Moira's blouse.

NaCl(I'm surprised I got something recognisable at all)H2O
06-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Zewrak: After having done it, I can say truthfully that it wasn't as much fun as I hoped it would be. But the main thing is the camera didn't mind!

NaCl(weather sealed indeed!)H2O
06-24-2008, 02:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Fearveiw:
I had a poncho on with a hood. But that's about all. And of course my Slingshot has it's own "rain coat" but it was under the poncho anyway. And yes, I did get soaked, but the rain wasn't too cold.

NaCl(and I'm made of low maintenance stuff)H2O
--

hmmm this is good news for my next trip to mountain around august.. i was wondering how though my k10d again splash of water..

fearview(my major was chemistry so i know what NaClH2o is)
06-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I can relate - glad to know I'm not the only crazy one shooting with a K body and a non-sealed lens in 'the weather', hehe.

I used my glove to cover the lens (it was manual focus anyways, so it was always there) but the body had a half centimeter of wet snow stacked on it. The precipitation also does wash out the background, the farther away it is.

At a 'milsim' (military simulation) event.

06-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

What did you guys use to stop water from the glass surface on the lens? you guys use filter?
06-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Cool shots! I've seen the Kennedy's (opened for Eddie From Ohio) and they seemed to be a fun duo.