Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

DIY Pinhole

Hi everyone, finaly got some time for new stuff, took one of my older adapter pk->weiiiird screw mount, and tried to make a tried to make a pinhole out of it.

1)
looks like i do smth wrong - my focal length is about 44, and the pinhole of 0.3mm(laser cut on different type of paper0.5mm, 0.2mm) seems to be way to big - everything is out of focus.
could put my hands on thicker foil(copper, 0.2mm), and 0.25mm drill. looks bit better, still focus seems to be too soft.

i know, it should be soft, but i saw better results yet.
how big should the hole realy be for aps-c?

2)
planning to make an adapter, to change focal length to minimem - -9mm inside the body - anything i should keep in mind?

3) shifting pinhole any use? already tried it out, seems to have absolutely no effect, exept for changing the view - buildings maintained their angles)

10-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1)
>paper
Is it in any way see-through?
2)
Make sure the mirror doesn't hit it.
3)
That's kinda all shifting does anyway
10-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Nope, used different kinds of Black paper - starting with really heavy 0.5 mm photokarton, Black, opaque on one side, than 0.2 mm 300g Black paper, opaque, and Standart 90g Black sheet.

And 0.2mm copper foil. think it
should be preatty light proof%)

Seems like the Focus is on Sensor, cause i see even just prints of dust, that ever touched it's surface.)

Okaaaay, shifting sucks then.
Any use for tilt/shift pinhole then?
10-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started out by literally putting the tiniest pinhole in a piece of aluminium foil which I then wrapped around an extension tube. It worked, but obviously lack of durability was an issue. For my second and current pinhole I used a common sewing pin to prick a tiny hole (0.1mm ?) in a piece of aluminium drink can which I te reinforced with some 2mm thick rubber matting, all cut to fit inside an old M42 adaptor ring I had lying around. And yes, many images will show every little bit of sensor dust in glorious detail!

There are pictures here.

10-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've made holes in thin shim brass, available in hardware stores and hobby shops, thinner the better, it's stiffer than aluminum foil. if your hole is in thick material you will get lots of diffraction, could be part of your softness.

To get a really small hole, push a fine sewing needle partway through your thin metal, but don't punch through, most sewing needles will make too big of a hole if you punch through with them.
Then flip it over and use a fine file and/or sandpaper to carefully take the"nub" off, leaves a hole from just the tip of the needle. Try to get the hole as round as possible. I think that may be part of your sharpness issue, it's hard to keep a round hole in paper.
If you use any of the metals: brass or soda can, makes sure you darken (black as you can) the side toward the sensor to reduce flare. I've used black masking tape to block up just about everything but the hole.

You touched on the biggest problem with APSc and pinholes, focal length, you need to get the hole inside the body to get a wide view, and that is hard with a mirror camera,
A job for a K01?
If you get too far inside, you may start seeing the lens mount....

I've done it with large format, and using photo paper to make paper negatives, 4x5 or so
It's an interesting challenge.
Good luck, would be nice to see some of your results,
10-14-2015, 06:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
done some pictures today with 0.25 mm hole in copper foil.
Thanks to OzzRod, providing his pictures. I'm used to count every mm of sharpness, so itīs rather unconventional for me having such bad IQ.
Ps. Ozz, sewing needle got 0.3-0.5 mm depending how deep you.

will try to get even tinier hole, if there wonīt be much impact in iq, no sense in building adapters, or T/S stuff
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
done some pictures today with 0.25 mm hole in copper foil.
Thanks to OzzRod, providing his pictures. I'm used to count every mm of sharpness, so itīs rather unconventional for me having such bad IQ.
Ps. Ozz, sewing needle got 0.3-0.5 mm depending how deep you.

will try to get even tinier hole, if there wonīt be much impact in iq, no sense in building adapters, or T/S stuff
Thanks vitalii; it's on the finer end as I don't push the pin right through.
Your image looks fine to me - I think the softness (and the simplicity of technique) is the real charm of pinhole images. The ongoing challenge is more in finding subjects, composition and light combinations that use the softness to best advantage. Cheers.