Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I owned and used a Vanguard Alta pro 263 At prior to purchasing my Manfrotto. It's a decent tripod but not built as well. The center column does angle at horizontal but it also has a tendency to sag, depending on the lens, plus I found it not quite as tall as I wanted without needing to raise the center column

10-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I didn't hijack the thread. I answered him with my suggestion with what I thought would be better.

QuoteQuote:
My suggestion would be get a monopod, if you really need something to steady the camera,
10-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manfrotto gear may appear pricey, but I bought my 055B (aluminium) with an 0168 ball head (hex plate) for about C$210 in the early 1980's. It still holds my gear steady. The only thing I have had wear out is the pad on the removable plate. The pad wore down to the point that the bottom of the camera was riding on metal. The original plate was cork lined, the new one is rubber.

This tripod holds up a K10 + grip + AFA 1.7X + M 400/5.6 in terrible weather. doesn't twitch.
10-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a ground level view on really really low subjects I've been using a gorillapod - the "SLR zoom" with no ballhead. Not the most versatile game in town and a bit touchy to aim precisely, but better than my other method of cramming sticks and twigs under the camera to prop it up. It also has utility sticking a flash in odd locations when the camera's not on it.

I've also been looking for a full sized tripod that can go low, so thanks to everyone who has put suggestions out. I've some models to look into

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Utilizing both allows for an extremely precise focusing ability for stacking photos for incredibly sharp detailed macro photos that simply can't be achieved hand held unless one is steady as the rock of Gibralter ...
Or uses artificial lighting (flashes). You'll lose out on mirror lock up when handheld, but there's more than one way to take a photo sharp enough to skin a cat.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I will defend photolady95 insofar as everyone has individual preferences and techniques that work for them.
A thousand times this.

10-26-2015, 05:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Defend Photolady as much as you want and I don't disagree with what's been stated by her or others however my contention is naldopr (OP) made a simple request "Hi there I will like to know what tripod you guys use for your macro photography?" not whether to use one or not. How does all the rest of this that doesn't apply to his simple request help him make a decision on which tripod may suit his needs?
This is a discussion forum. People will discuss things including alternatives, and especially after a few people have supplied direct answers (including a very detailed analysis by WPRESTO) I'd say most forum users find this fair game.

If this is a problem for you, I don't know how you could handle reading pretty much every thread on these forums.
10-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
This is a discussion forum. People will discuss things including alternatives, and especially after a few people have supplied direct answers (including a very detailed analysis by WPRESTO) I'd say most forum users find this fair game.

If this is a problem for you, I don't know how you could handle reading pretty much every thread on these forums.
“Mr. Pentaxian, have you ever heard the story about the two devils?

Well, Mr. Satan was down in hell one day, and he was trying to figure out how to get the pentaxians on earth down there with him and away from heaven. Along comes a devil who walks up to Mr. Satan and says, 'I know how to get fifty percent of all the pentaxians on earth down here with us.' So Mr. Satan says, 'How are you going to do that?' The devil answers, 'I'll dress up as a mortal and go up to the earth and tell every pentaxian there is no God, no devil, no heaven, no hell, no good nor any evil, and they can say and do whatever they want — wild women or men, booze, gambling, go off topic, say whatever and whenever they want — anything at all. And I promise I'll get fifty percent of the pentaxians on earth down to hell.'

“Mr. Satan said he liked the idea. Suddenly a second devil walks up and tells them both he can get seventy-five percent of all the pentaxians on earth down to hell. Mr. Satan and the first devil asked the second devil how he would do that. The second devil said, 'I'll go up to earth dressed as a mortal also, but I'll tell all the pentaxians there is a heaven, there is a hell, there is a God, and there is a devil, so they'd better stay on topic only every Sunday morning and evening, plus on Wednesday nights. But during the rest of the week they can do anything they want to do — no limit. This way the pentaxians will rationalize their wild conduct, because they'd still be staying on topic. This logic is sure to pull the wool over their eyes and in the end get seventy-five percent of the pentaxians down here to hell.'
10-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #22
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Manfrotto 3021BN with a Manfrotto 410 Junior geared head.... love the precision....

10-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

“Mr. Pentaxian, have you ever heard the story about the two devils?

Well, Mr. Satan was down in hell one day, and he was trying to figure out how to get the pentaxians on earth down there with him and away from heaven. Along comes a devil who walks up to Mr. Satan and says, 'I know how to get fifty percent of all the pentaxians on earth down here with us.' So Mr. Satan says, 'How are you going to do that?' The devil answers, 'I'll dress up as a mortal and go up to the earth and tell every pentaxian there is no God, no devil, no heaven, no hell, no good nor any evil, and they can say and do whatever they want — wild women or men, booze, gambling, go off topic, say whatever and whenever they want — anything at all. And I promise I'll get fifty percent of the pentaxians on earth down to hell.'

“Mr. Satan said he liked the idea. Suddenly a second devil walks up and tells them both he can get seventy-five percent of all the pentaxians on earth down to hell. Mr. Satan and the first devil asked the second devil how he would do that. The second devil said, 'I'll go up to earth dressed as a mortal also, but I'll tell all the pentaxians there is a heaven, there is a hell, there is a God, and there is a devil, so they'd better stay on topic only every Sunday morning and evening, plus on Wednesday nights. But during the rest of the week they can do anything they want to do — no limit. This way the pentaxians will rationalize their wild conduct, because they'd still be staying on topic. This logic is sure to pull the wool over their eyes and in the end get seventy-five percent of the pentaxians down here to hell.'
Ok. Wow. So going off topic (with you being the arbiter of what's off-topic) means going to hell. I guess this is meant to be funny, but I'm at a loss for words now.

I'll just say, have a nice day
10-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I guess this is meant to be funny, but I'm at a loss for words now.

I'll just say, have a nice day
Ah I see being at a loss of words to you is continuing to express them. This is what's better known as getting hung by the tongue.

Now how about letting this thread get back on topic which is about tripods.
10-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For most of my tripod shots I use an old aluminum Slik 38T4 - only 32" high without extending the centre post and 13" when collapsed - it has twist lock and it doesn't spread all that wide but it's light and portable, and easy to get in among the vegetation. Sometimes I use a cheap focusing rail. I only use a tripod for stationary macro subjects so the 3 second delay with the remote compensates for any unsteadiness. For low down shots I use a Gorillapod as described above, and for a full size tripod I use the Swarovski (made by Manfrotto) that I bought with my telescope. I hand hold for moving insects etc. Greater stiffness and precision would be nice but a low-medium priced aluminum tripod will do the job in most situations.