Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Preparing for steam loco photos

Tomorrow will take place a steam locomotive trip organized by the local club in my area. I'd like to take photos of that train with some landscape in the background, so I'm gonna be off that train. But, since the train is in motion faster than the photographer, it's gonna be a hit or miss situation. I already looked at where the train will pass by , and orientation or the sun. Not sure about what focal length will be the best. Anyone who could share some tips from his experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

10-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mostly I have done static shots - interior engine area exterior etc. high contrast b&w film years ago. I think the setting will dictate the lens.
10-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably too late, but IF THE TRAIN IS MOVING and you're watching it go by I would recommend: 1) wide angle; 2) continuous AF; 3) medium or high speed multi-exposure; 4) PAN with the train, letting the near background blur. DO NOT set on a tripod with high shutter speed and hope for one best shot, chances are it will be blurred, PAN with multl-exposure and continuous AF. Use WA and crop later if there's too much surround. Stand back a bit if possible - don't get too close. The closer you are the harder it will be to avoid blurring.
10-25-2015, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #4

this is how I have been doing steam trains in a landscape type photo...manual mode F8 or 11...continuous high...prefocus on the scene where the train will pass and use hyperfocal by selecting the bottom focal point...I use manual mode and underexpose the scene by about 1 stop because the steam and smoke will really blow out on a bright day...shutter speeds of 1/250 to 500 seem to work...of course I dont know how fast your train is going to be moving... when the train enters the scene let her rip and have fun...

10-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The shots I have seen of moving trains (steam or otherwise) against landscapes, have all been distance shots. There is also the shot of the steam engine coming around the bend (or over a trestle, etc.) with a deep depth of field - but at a high shutter speed to freeze the motion, while catching the background.

10-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys for sharing some ideas.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think the setting will dictate the lens.
Yes, at the train station, when the loco is stopped, it should be relatively easy to take shot of the engine, with a normal lens. Then the background may not be interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
DO NOT set on a tripod
Yes, it should be in day light, a tripod would be cumbersome. That a very good idea to have to parts where motion is frozen with panning and fast shutter speed, while other parts would be blurred... Wide angle, moderate wide would include some background depending on where I'm positioned.

QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
I use manual mode and underexpose the scene by about 1 stop because the steam and smoke will really blow out on a bright day...shutter speeds of 1/250 to 500 seem to work...of course I dont know how fast your train is going to be moving... when the train enters the scene let her rip and have fun...
You are right, in sunny weather, I'm afraid to have the high-lights blown-up on the steam. The train will be green, so, not as big dynamic range as if it was a black locomotive, 1stop may not be enough, I shall use bracketing as well then and finish in post processing. I studied the map , I was looking for places when the train has to go up, so it may then be slower and produce more steam. There are also some bridges. Can be everywhere at the same time. But there will be several runs...

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The shots I have seen of moving trains (steam or otherwise) against landscapes, have all been distance shots.
The issue is access... So I may be close and far, depending on the location. I'll bring my 70-200, 17-50 or 28-75 not decided yet...
10-25-2015, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The issue is access... So I may be close and far, depending on the location. I'll bring my 70-200, 17-50 or 28-75 not decided yet...
Up in Northern Arizona in Williams, they run the French Fry Express (used cooking oil from Mckey D's - and yes it smells like french frys) steam engine from time to time. Folks plan out their locations well in advance - then test shoot the diesel engine trains in the meantime.

10-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Up in Northern Arizona in Williams, they run the French Fry Express (used cooking oil from Mckey D's - and yes it smells like french frys) steam engine from time to time. Folks plan out their locations well in advance - then test shoot the diesel engine trains in the meantime. Grand Canyon Railway to fuel train with recycled vegetable oil on Earth Day | KJZZ The Train | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona- Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona https://aaa.thetrain.com/UserFiles/gcr/territorialtimes2011.pdf
Really nice. In the US , you have a number of large steam locomotive. I've also seen some impressive video from Chinese steam trains. Would need to travel for that. I'll learn from experience.
10-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice. In the US , you have a number of large steam locomotive. I've also seen some impressive video from Chinese steam trains. Would need to travel for that. I'll learn from experience.
If I remember correctly from some reading, there are a couple of places where you can actually be the engineer of a full size live steam locomotive. I want to say it's up in Nevada somewhere, or New Mexico.

10-26-2015, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Et voila...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-26-2015 at 09:24 AM.
10-26-2015, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Et voila...
Wow!! Very Nice Indeed! I bet the engine and tender are very nicely painted and trimmed in bright colors!

10-29-2015, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice pics biz.
I love getting shots of steam locos, there are a couple that operate here in South Australia, have only managed static shots with the Oly. I haven't had the chance to get any with the Pentax yet though.
I have a ton that I have just digitised that my dad took in the 50-70 's, great machines.