Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Its far easier to just shoot one raw image, copy it, and fiddle with that though.
Looks that way. I've tried multiply exposure in K5iis, but did not get anything decent.

---------- Post added 10-30-15 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Exactly. Best of luck!
Thanks. It's a big gap between reading about that, and actually start "feeling". Shooting for relaxation only started boring me a while ago.
What I like about photography is endless curiosity what can be next.

10-30-2015, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I just wonder if someone uses in camera multiply exposure function for Orton like effects.
Usually not needed and there is more to it than multiple exposure. As noted above, the original technique involved printing from sandwiched slides, each of which varied by exposure and/or focus and/or colors. What you can do with digital is to clone the original image to layers in photoshop, modify each layer independently and merge back for the final. It has been several years since I have done an emulated Orton image, but IIRC the basic process goes something like this:

Create a new image with layers cloned from your original:
  • Create a base high contrast monochrome layer
  • Create a high saturation and moderately brighter color layer over that
  • Apply Gaussian blur to the top layer
  • Merge the top onto the bottom with transparency appropriate to your needs.
Edit: Probably best to ignore the struck out text. That is basically how I did the images below, but the merge was done manually. There are easier ways to get started with Orton and Google is our friend.

Here are a couple of images made using the above technique:

The intent with Orton is to create a sense of dreamy glow around the details and sometimes the effect is more subtle depending on subject and light.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-31-2015 at 01:00 AM.
10-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've really been avoiding many adventures in post processing for some time but I'll have to try that out, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Usually not needed and there is more to it than multiple exposure. As noted above, the original technique involved printing from sandwiched slides, each of which varied by exposure and/or focus and/or colors. What you can do with digital is to clone the original image to layers in photoshop, modify each layer independently and merge back for the final. It has been several years since I have done an emulated Orton image, but IIRC the basic process goes something like this:

Create a new image with layers cloned from your original:
  • Create a base high contrast monochrome layer
  • Create a high saturation and moderately brighter color layer over that
  • Apply Gaussian blur to the top layer
  • Merge the top onto the bottom with transparency appropriate to your needs.

Here are a couple of images made using the above technique:

The intent with Orton is to create a sense of dreamy glow around the details and sometimes the effect is more subtle depending on subject and light.

Steve
10-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Steve, beautiful work, well done! The middle image looks like oil painting.

10-31-2015, 01:04 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve, beautiful work, well done! The middle image looks like oil painting.
Thanks.

I just edited the comment above to strike out the basic outline. I did that mostly because I lost my detailed steps on how those images were done and tool support has improved markedly since I did them.

Where my technique diverges from the standard approach is with the inclusion of a monochrome layer to add a control point for line structure and gray tones.

Steve
01-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I failed my cemetery "assignment". At least now I know what lenses worked the best there. Pretty much from 21mm to 300mm, depends of what needed. In most cases the range around 100mm worked well, but with clouds wide angle was good. The problem was mostly the wrong timing, it was such a bright and harsh day light, I even could not see settings in viewfinder.
I need to came back there. (found an excuse)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL SL1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Try this!
That's a fun wee thing to play with... trying out various lenses and the like, tfp.

01-05-2016, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

I failed my cemetery "assignment". At least now I know what lenses worked the best there. Pretty much from 21mm to 300mm, depends of what needed. In most cases the range around 100mm worked well, but with clouds wide angle was good. The problem was mostly the wrong timing, it was such a bright and harsh day light, I even could not see settings in viewfinder.
I need to came back there. (found an excuse)
The first step in improving your photography is being able to objectively look at your own work. You say that you failed-but dig deeper. What did you fail at? Articulate again what you were trying to achieve, and do so with plain English, not camera terms. What aspect(s) or qualities of the cemetery are you trying to communicate in your photos? What shots have elements of success? What do you think you did wrong? Think about these things before you go back.
01-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I failed to tell the story ending up with travel pics instead.
Mainly because of "blindness" and excitement. I did not slow down myself there.
01-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I failed to tell the story ending up with travel pics instead.
Mainly because of "blindness" and excitement. I did not slow down myself there.
What story did you want to tell?
01-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't know for sure. Something about eternity and mortality at the same time. Something about life and time, and eroded marble...
Something sweet and sad at the same time. I did not get even near there. At least I tried
01-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Harder to be expressive with a Canon? I like the first picture you shared the most, with the sea in the background, but I do think you're maybe being a little hard on yourself and your efforts. Nice shots. And you probably learned a little bit from the experience.
01-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Begging for B&W treatment, IMHO. That sky is cheerful! You've clearly reflected on the shoot, and are a better tog for it. ☺
01-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #44
Pentaxian

If we are going to be graphics artists then fabricating your "picture" in an image editor is one thing but as a photographer the joy and challenge is to do this stuff optically
01-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Harder to be expressive with a Canon?
You have noticed! LOL
I had only 250mm zoom, and it was with Canon. The alternative was DA*300mm, but I did not want to add weight in my travel set up. I regret that so much now.

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Begging for B&W treatment, IMHO. That sky is cheerful! You've clearly reflected on the shoot, and are a better tog for it. ☺
B&W is not that easy so far. I did not do anything good so far converting in b&w.
The best will be evening light there. I wish it would be morning instead, but the cemetery opens too late for the best light.