Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Gps Tagging

Does anyone use a gps system to tag there pictures? I am just curious about this and have no idea of programs or what is needed to do this. I am assuming that the there is nothing in the current cameras that include this in exif data. So asking if anyone has any knowledge out there

06-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Sony's got or at least had this for their Cybershot cameras.

Interestingly, about ten years ago there was an April Fool's article in an Aussie photo mag that a "new product" piece about a GPS system for cameras that record the camera's position, height, azimuth and all the other settings so that people could perfectly copy other people's photos...
06-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This discussion over at dpchallenge has some good information you might find useful.

GeoTagging - DPChallenge Forums
06-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have several Gaarmin GPS units, and the latest one can save track points to an SD card in increments as short as one second. The file is a GPX track log directly useable by any geotagging software.

I use a freeware program GeoSetter, which uses mapquest to display where you are. It is useful as it has correction factors that youy can enter to get the time synch between your camera and GPS. Note this is a critical point otherwise you get the tags wrong

The only drawback about this is that you need to be on the internet to see the maps.

I contacted garmin and asked them if they were going to develop a similar program, as it would be of interest to probably most garmin customers. No response yet, but the support rep I talked to was interested. The advantage of someone like garmin doing it is they sell GPS maps to use with their units.

I have been tagging most photos now, and all photos when on trips for 3 years.