Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My good fortune and USPS good deed ...

I was browsing Amazon to see whether K20D (pre-rebate) price has dropped below my hit point $1000. No it hasn't, but noticed in Used section one like-new for $800. Quickly checked the seller's good credentials and got on to my US-based brother to do the purchase. He was out playing with his toy Cessna, promised to return home quickly. I kept telling myself oh well if I miss it I miss it there'll be other opportunities. Thankfully I didn't miss.

My brother received, checked a few things making sure it wasn't DOA, then mailed it out late Wednesday Topeka time using USPS Express International ($46 for 5-lbs plus $3.50 insurance). Tracking showed parcel left O'Hare (Chicago?) Thursday, which was already Friday in Australia, arrived in Aust on Saturday, cleared Customs on Sunday, delivered to me on Monday.

Amazing feats:
(1) Three work-day delivery from US to Australia which included two extra domestic legs Topeka to O'Hare and 2500-mile Sydney to Perth.
(2) Clearing Customs on a Sunday!! I would never believe Australian public service to work on weekends.
(3) On delivery the clerk scanned the parcel with a hand scanner. Within half an hour the "Delivered" status, with the exact delivery time, showed up on USPS tracking database half-way around the world. Marvellous isn't it.

My full compliments to USPS and Aust Post for the top customer service. By the way camera is working like new & I'm busy learning all the new features (but not too busy to type this up ).

Cheers

06-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't it nice when a plan comes together? (With apologies to George Peppard!)
06-25-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow ... who needs the larger courier/parcel companies when USPS and Aust Post can do just as decent a job if not better at a fraction of the price.

I must say I have been impressed with both Aust Post and USPS ... everything has arrived in good order and fairly quickly as well .... not as lightning quick as your delivery though.
06-25-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
Banned

people tend to underestimate the USPS, I trust them far more than UPS or DHL, and I flat out refuse to ever use fedex. the postal service has always been the far better carrier here in the US.

06-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I've use intl express post many times, though it's normally inbound to the US and it works very well. I've had things ship from Hong Kong on Friday arrive Monday. Nice service and the prices seem very reasonable.

Though be careful, I do not believe all post offices on the US can send express post. Maybe it's just the small rural ones like mine or within the US, but I know talking to the postmaster he mentioned once that if I wanted express post I would need to drive to a city.
06-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
people tend to underestimate the USPS, I trust them far more than UPS or DHL, and I flat out refuse to ever use fedex. the postal service has always been the far better carrier here in the US.
Funny thing is that the USPS uses FedEx for air transport and FedEx leverages USPS CS/data tracking to improve their systems. However, with my father being a USPS employee of almost 30 years he is always annoyed when I ship things to him UPS from my work
06-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Got to love the Yanks ordered a lens from BH on friday morning and arrived my doorstep Tuesday morning 8am....... with UPS

I like it I like it a lot

USA gets my customs

cheers

06-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Funny thing is that the USPS uses FedEx for air transport and FedEx leverages USPS CS/data tracking to improve their systems
makes sense, but fedex drivers for ground/home delivery are terrible, mostly stupid (seemingly anyway) and fedex customer service is outright horrid. whether the USPS use fedex planes is not important to me. I do think its a bit ironic that fedex uses USPS CS/data tracking though.
06-26-2008, 04:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'll certainly give a big thumbs-up to USPS too. Fast and cheap and reliable to Oz, what a great postal service.
06-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks very much from this USPS employee!

Chris
06-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There's a good thread on carriers (and incompetence thereof) on one of the car sites I visit. Good stuff:

Is your UPS guy as retarded as mine? - Corner-Carvers Forums
06-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
There's a good thread on carriers (and incompetence thereof) on one of the car sites I visit. Good stuff:

Is your UPS guy as retarded as mine? - Corner-Carvers Forums
here is a story taken from the forums in the link: this very same thing happened to me nearly identical except for me it was a NOS never opened smc-A 50mm 1.7 lens with velvet pouch and an smc UV filter. this is the very reason I refuse to ever use fedex again. pathetic as hell. only to make it worse I never actually got my lens, and whn I finally got through the whole 'investigation' if you can call it that, the damn claim check was delivered to the wrong house....

'I ordered a Dell server sometime in mid-July w/ estimated delivery arrival date of 7/30-7/31. It was being shipped by FedEx Ground. Since I was going to be out of town from 7/31-8/4, I was kinda worried and hoped it would get to me before then. Anyway...

7/29 - I get home from work and there's a "you weren't home" note on the door. I usually go ahead and pick it up from the delivery center, but the note didn't have the address on it as it usually does. Apparently, it was shipped by FedEx Ground and not FedEx Express (I never knew there was a difference!)

7/30 - I "work" from home. I'm checking the online tracking every half hour. By 3pm, I hear that familiar delivery truck rumble coming down the street. I look out the window and the truck is parked in front of my house! Unfortunately, before I am able to open the door, they take off! WTF?!?! I check online tracking later that night and it says "BUSINESS CLOSED OR CUSTOMER NOT AVAILABLE." WTF?!?! I call 1-800-GOFEDEX and tell them that I'm going to be out of town from 7/31-8/4 so please don't make any more delivery attempts and send package back to Dell because I'm not around. I will call when I get back to schedule pickup. The lady says "OK."

7/31-8/4 - I check online tracking and they attempt delivery on 7/31, 8/1, and 8/4. WTF?!?! I called and told them not to.

8/5 - I call GOFEDEX to schedule pickup. The guy says my package is on the truck for delivery, call back tomorrow before 9AM.

8/6 - I call GOFEDEX at 8:30AM and the guy says my package is on the truck for delivery. I tell him what's up and he says to call back at 8:30PM if package not delivered to schedule pickup. I get home at 6PM. No FedEx guy. 7PM. No FedEx guy. 8PM. No FedEx guy. 8:30PM. No FedEx guy. I check online tracking it says delivery attempt made at 7:52PM, but "BUSINESS CLOSED OR CUSTOMER NOT AVAILABLE." WTF?!?! The FedEx guy didn't even make the attempt. The doorbell didn't ring. I didn't hear any knocks on the door. Fido didn't bark. NOTHING. I call GOFEDEX. The guy says to call back tomorrow before 9AM to schedule pickup.

8/7 - I call GOFEDEX at 8:30AM (again). Lady answers and this is how the conversation went (no lie):

LADY: Can I have your account number?
ME: I don't have account number, but I have tracking number.
LADY: I need your account number.
LADY: Sir, I can't help you w/o an account number.
ME: Is the account number the same as tracking number?
LADY: If you don't have account number, then do you have a tracking number?
[DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH]
LADY: How can I help you?
ME: The FedEx guy keeps attempting package delivery, but I'm not around. I signed the release note to leave package on my doorstep.
LADY: I'm sorry, but a signature is required.
ME: That check box wasn't checked.
LADY: I'm sorry, the delivery guy was probably too lazy to do that.
ME: [sigh] I'd like to schedule package pickup.
LADY: We don't do that.
ME: [sigh] I'd like to re-route package then.
LADY: We don't do that.
ME: How do I get my package then? The FedEx guy attempts delivery when I'm at work and sometimes, he doesn't even attempt delivery when I'm around.
LADY: I'm sorry sir, but your package is on the truck and will be delivered today.
ME: How do you know that? (I feel like Ben Stiller in Meet the Parents w/ his luggage fiasco) Are you personally going to make sure that the FedEx guy comes at my house after I get home from work?
LADY: I'm sorry sir, there's nothing else I can do.'

06-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

DHL likes to keep packages, marking them as delivered. happened more than a few times, here, to my brother.
06-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second that mate,
USPS has delivered my gear the same day I order them, and customs here in Oz clears them the same day they receive them, then a courier drops them off the next morning, whether I was in Brisbane or Toowoomba.
Two thumbs up from me too!
06-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Please continue to use USPS and help support my dad's retirement pension. Between his Army service and his PO time, he retired almost 2 years ago with over 40 years in, so he gets a pretty nice pension. That's one reason I like to use USPS when I'm mailing stuff out. The other reason is that there are more convenient locations that I can mail my packages out from than with the others.

Heather